the crane the crane | Page 63 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

I don’t even think they have started putting the collars on the spirals in front of Walt yet. That has to happen before they can be taken up top. So it doesn’t look like anything is happening soon on the northwest front.

But I am hopeful a girder will be put up on the northeast grouping sometime soon. They they need to add a diagonal, cable things up and move on to the next one.

The problems that have plagued the northwest grouping look like they are still in play.

801C8E86-6C77-4598-B7B2-D8CB183082A5.jpeg

Is that a middle spiral being attached ?
Outside the corners, there is just a vertical and a diagonal for support. That is the vertical for the box girder that should also be going up later today.

This picture is a good angle to see the one back stay assembly in place for the entire northern wall. I think all 4 of the main walls will only have one back stay assembly, while the diagonal corner walls each have 3. The diagonal corner walls were also the only ones to get the X brace treatment. Hoping one of the reasons progress on the crown truss has been so slow is because they have been focusing on 2 of the corner walls first.

Hopefully the truss will go up a lot faster above the other walls.

until we know they are why worry. nothing says they cant work more weekends or longer hours to make up time if there is time needed to be made up. we dont even know what the contingency budget is. maybe they add crews once they get around to the other side thats easier to work on. maybe they are ahead of schedule and we dont know?

at what point should we be concerned that they are really falling behind schedule?
From the outside (as an outsider and from an external appearance standpoint), these would worry me. I'm sure from an actual project management standpoint the dates will be sooner.
  • End of basketball season - rollercoaster up
  • Memorial Day - roof up (can't see them starting this until the Dome is no longer in use)
  • 4th of July - old roof gone
  • September 1st - internal renovations (nearly) complete

I mean they did say the ring would be compete by the end of January. That’s clearly not going to happen so it is fair to say they are behind

2:00P.M. straight up - looks to me like the white crane without any major other work to do is hooking the orange four wheeled vehicle to move it somewhere. Lousy day to work 44 degrees and sunny not a cloud in the sky. They could be putting yellow lifting collars on the spiral columns in the yard. Whitey moved the orange vehicle over the spirals parallel to the fence closest to the Dome.

Last edited:
Wonder what the white crane and I found out the name of the orange vehicle I think - it's called a telescopic boom lift. Could they be installing something for another x brace? Tomcat need your assistance on this one. Are all the x braces up or do they need to install more as they work around the building? Anyway the lift and whitey are working in tandem on that wall of the Dome. Thought they could be putting up braces or something to be used for an other X? Maybe not but they're working on something for that wall.

Last edited:
I mean they did say the ring would be compete by the end of January. That’s clearly not going to happen so it is fair to say they are behind

They also said they didn’t schedule a lot of work during the winter months. So if we have a mild winter as we have been, there will be time to catch up.

2:48P.M. The white crane has begun lifting additional counterweights into the tray that are used for heavy loads in back and attached to Walt. Maybe we see another girder go up soon or tomorrow. The box girder by the construction trailer is a prime suspect - it's been sitting there for weeks or are we waiting for another one from storage or delivery?

They could be putting yellow collars on the spiral columns in the yard.
Is that a tagging system similar to dog collars? I hope none of the students get mischevious and try switching them up.