the crane the crane | Page 90 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

It looked like one of these spirals was just transported over to the storage area near Heroy. That area is pretty out of the way for work being performed on the east wall but there is so little space between the east wall and the Barnes Center, I don't think it is possible for them to store these giant pieces of steel any closer.

4D1AA87B-8B04-49D8-984D-E1A6ABC2B3C5.jpeg

Could someone please repost the link to the web cam across from staging area. I lost it and I’m too lazy to go back through all these threads to find it. Thanks in advance

It looked like one of these spirals was just transported over to the storage area near Heroy. That area is pretty out of the way for work being performed on the east wall but there is so little space between the east wall and the Barnes Center, I don't think it is possible for them to store these giant pieces of steel any closer.

yea, there were 3 there. One got moved.

Did they unload the girder on the wrong side? I haven't seen them load one back up before...

It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood around the Dome. Work is continuing on both sides east and west. At 1:37 P.M. on Presidents day,Whitey is loading counterweights into the tray for Walt. Seems like we are going to see some heavy lifting very soon. Spirals and after that girders. It will be wonderful to see work being done from the live cam on Lawrinson. A girder is hanging from the hoisting straps of Walt's cousin on the NE side right now. Don't exactly know where it's going to go unless they are moving the girder from one position to another on that side. Yep! Continuing to load the tray &allthe counter weights.

Last edited:
It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood around the Dome. Work is continuing on both sides east and west. At 1:37 P.M. on Presidents day,Whitey is loading counterweights into the tray for Walt. Seems like we are going to see some heavy lifting very soon. Spirals and after that girders. It will be wonderful to see work being done from the live cam on Lawrinson. A girder is hanging from the hoisting straps of Walt's cousin on the NE side right now. Don't exactly know where it's going to go unless they are moving the girder from one position to another on that side. Yep! Continuing to load the tray - allthe counter weights.
Based on where the counter weights are being placed, it looks like they are probably going to lift the big box girder in the parking area next to Stadium Control.

We have to get a spiral in place before that box girder can be added to the crown truss, and there are no signs that is happening, so I am guessing it is just going to get moved to the main storage area. Odd. Why wouldn't it have been placed in the main storage area when it first arrived if that was the case? I assumed it was placed there because it was going to be the next box girder to go up and it was easier to get it in position from that location.

Then there was the weird snafu where a box girder was brought over the the delivery area on Irving, and actually picked up by Walt and brought over to the Irving Ave storage area, then, just before being unloaded, brought back to the truck from where it came originally.

Strange things are afoot at the crown truss.

Why aren't we adding on to the crown truss on both sides yet? We seem flush with inventory for both sides. I can only assume that the spirals and/or box girders needed for the next step on both sides are still not here.

The mystery rig and trailer - @ 2:39 P.M. an empty trailer arrived pulled into the parking lot by the girder that has been left there turned and backed up Forestry Drive perhaps going around to the east side to pick up a girder? We may find out soon enough. This rig was black with gold stripes. Not at all like the ORANGE ones we usually see.

The counter weight tray has been fully loaded and is ready to be attached to Walt's rear end. And we are attached.

this is too cool! I never knew this Star Wars connection to the Cuse

but what does he mean by the above quote? Stomp on the edge of the Dome’s outer wall?
Not to be that guy, but Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back both predate the Carrier Dome.

Not to be that guy, but Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back both predate the Carrier Dome.
You are correct. Two of the movies definitely do not include a sound effect from doing the Carrier Dome stomp. Well done.

You are correct. Two of the movies definitely do not include a sound effect from doing the Carrier Dome stomp. Well done.
I don't feel great about it (I feel like the faculty member who takes away the beach ball at graduation), but I feel like it should be mentioned. It was stated on my campus tour in 1986 and also on my daughter's visit in 2018. I didn't call out the tour guides, however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom