the crane the crane | Page 91 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Not to be that guy, but Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back both predate the Carrier Dome.
Think sound effect used in episode 1 or The fourth in the series

I don't feel great about it (I feel like the faculty member who takes away the beach ball at graduation), but I feel like it should be mentioned. It was stated on my campus tour in 1986 and also on my daughter's visit in 2018. I didn't call out the tour guides, however.
I think it depends on exactly what was said. If the tour guides stated specifically that the sounds in the first 2 Star Wars movies included the Carrier Dome stomp, they were wrong. If they stated the sounds appear in Star Wars family of movies, they were correct.

Looks like we will have a lot of work tomorrow. Spirals to go up - girders to follow - girders to be moved on site. Wowza! Hope it all happens.

Looks like we will have a lot of work tomorrow. Spirals to go up - girders to follow - girders to be moved on site. Wowza! Hope it all happens.
I hope so. We had a lot of spirals and girders in place before the day started and nothing went up in the air. Hope we can finally start moving forward again tomorrow.

I think it depends on exactly what was said. If the tour guides stated specifically that the sounds in the first 2 Star Wars movies included the Carrier Dome stomp, they were wrong. If they stated the sounds appear in Star Wars family of movies, they were correct.
They said it was used in Star Wars. Maybe they considered the trilogy (at the time) as Star Wars, but I don't recall anyone doing that back in the day (before they were numbered).
It doesn't change the fact that it's a cool sound effect.
Edit: I take it back. The man himself said he used it, so I believe it was used at some point in the series.

Last edited:
Weather Update: All the large cranes have been knuckled down for tomorrow's weather and a couple of days to follow:
Tu 2/18 - 38/27 Wind SE 16 Gusts 22
We 2/19 - 29/14 Wind W 14 Gusts 18
Th 2/20 - 21/12 Wind WNW 9 Gusts 18
Fri 2/21 - 30/12 Wind SW 9 Gusts 13
NEXT WEEK Temps OK
Mon - 2/24 44/31
Tu - 2/25 47/34
We - 2/26 47/32
Th - 2/27 42/27
Fr - 2/28 32/18

Apparently gusts to 22 are too much for the large cranes so they will not be working tomorrow. We will have to wait until it is safer for everyone on the crew and the cranes and ops before we move forward. :)

Weather Update: All the large cranes have been knuckled down for tomorrow's weather and a couple of days to follow:
Tu 2/18 - 38/27 Wind SE 16 Gusts 22
We 2/19 - 29/14 Wind W 14 Gusts 18
Th 2/20 - 21/12 Wind WNW 9 Gusts 18
Fri 2/21 - 30/12 Wind SW 9 Gusts 13
NEXT WEEK Temps OK
Mon - 2/24 44/31
Tu - 2/25 47/34
We - 2/26 47/32
Th - 2/27 42/27
Fr - 2/28 32/18

Apparently gusts to 22 are too much for the large cranes so they will not be working tomorrow. We will have to wait until it is safer for everyone on the crew and the cranes and ops before we move forward. :)
With this weather, the earliest we are likely to see progress is Thursday or Friday.

The outlook for Saturday is excellent but that is a game day. Unfortunately, so is Thursday (women’s lacrosse). There is also a men’s lacrosse game on Sunday.

So if there is to be progress this week, it probably needs to happen on Thursday. It is likely going to snow and be pretty windy but maybe they can get a box girder or two up.

Great! Now I am getting crane and construction ads.
Have I got a solution for you.

Have I got a solution for you.

Viral marketing at its finest.

7F9B2EA8-DA1F-4338-888A-A1F52B99B6DF.jpeg

While the cranes are still bowing at the neck (as expected), we wake to find some camera mayhem! :(

It appears that the camera on Link Hall has has been zoomed out.

While this yields a bit more of campus on the right side of the image, the lower 30-35% of the image is now wasted to show the roof and an HVAC unit. It would be great if whoever controls the camera could zoom in a bit to avoid the roof or if someone could simply raise the angle of the camera. I’d rather see more sky instead of roof.

Perhaps sutomcat or rrlbees can take care of the latter on their next campus visit? If not, then I’ll have to do some more editing of my future image postings...

View attachment 176937

While the cranes are still bowing at the neck (as expected), we wake to find some camera mayhem! :(

While this yields a bit more of campus on the right side of the image, the lower 30-35% of the image is now wasted to show the roof and an HVAC unit. It would be great if whoever controls the camera could zoom in a bit to avoid the roof or if someone could simply raise the angle of the camera. I’d rather see more sky instead of roof.

Perhaps sutomcat or rrlbees can take care of the latter on their next campus visit? If not, then I’ll have to do some more editing of my future image postings...
It's a Carrier!

View attachment 176937

I spent a lot of time at Link Hall as an undergrad. That was where the computer science courses were taught. Never made it up to the roof. Pretty sure you need a key. But if I have a chance, I will take and fix this for you.

I spent a lot of time at Link Hall as an undergrad. That was where the computer science courses were taught.
Same here. Unfortunately, B204 is no longer what it was back then...

There was also nothing like trudging through the snow at night to get to a DECwriter to work on your LISP assignment before the mainframe would shut down at 12:30 or so. Kids these days have it so much easier... ;)

Same here. Unfortunately, B204 is no longer what it was back then...

There was also nothing like trudging through the snow at night to get to a DECwriter to work on your LISP assignment before the mainframe would shut down at 12:30 or so. Kids these days have it so much easier... ;)
How about using the terminals to program in APL?

How about using the terminals to program in APL?

OOOF. I remember doing that. :confused:
A Programming Language - what an inventive and original name!

Was pretty much what put me off of Electrical Engineering (aka "Pre-Business") and got me to switch to Finance instead.

Last edited:
That was great too. :)
It would make Dr. Pardee* happy to know that APL still lives in our minds.
[* unfortunately, he passed away in 2018]
O.M. (Otway) Pardee! Good guy. Sorry to hear he is no longer with us. As I remember it, one of his favorite expressions was 'various and sundry'.

APL and LISP were both pretty funky languages. I learned a lot working with both. Lots of greek characters with APL. You could do some amazing things with a line or two of that language.
LISP was great for solving recursive problems.

Neither was very easy to work with or read. Both if you could write programs in those languages, you could write them in any language.

Shout out to another favorite professor of mine, E.F. Storm! Did he used to bring his dog to class when you guys were students?

Since we're reminiscing about former professors, if any of you had history professor Dr. David Bennett, I usually see him a couple times a year. He's doing great, well, that is unless SU had a bad game (football or basketball). One of his sons actually works at the University now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom