the crane the crane | Page 92 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Since we're reminiscing about former professors, if any of you had history professor Dr. David Bennett, I usually see him a couple times a year. He's doing great, well, that is unless SU had a bad game (football or basketball). One of his sons actually works at the University now.
Had a class with Dr. Bennett--probably before some of you guys were born.

Since we're reminiscing about former professors, if any of you had history professor Dr. David Bennett, I usually see him a couple times a year. He's doing great, well, that is unless SU had a bad game (football or basketball). One of his sons actually works at the University now.
I took History of WWI and WWII with him. Really enjoyed his teaching and that class.

I spent a lot of time at Link Hall as an undergrad. That was where the computer science courses were taught. Never made it up to the roof. Pretty sure you need a key. But if I have a chance, I will take and fix this for you.
Go to Slocum. We used to have operable windows above the link roof on the west side. We could walk out onto the Link roof.

Back to live crane action.

The cranes have stood up and it looks like Skylar might even be able to lift something from the storage area near Heroy.

Maybe, just maybe, we will see some progress today in the midst of a decent sized lake effect snow storm.

I think the thing we are looking for is a couple of spirals to go up on each side of the big grouping. That will allow box girders to go up. Spirals, c'mon down! (Watched some The Price is Right last weekend).

Another spiral going up in the northeast side.
On the west side, little white crane (JGIII?), is moving counter weights from north of Walt to west of Walt, which I think indicates Walt will soon be doing some lifting of heavy things to his east. Where the west wall is.

I am hoping to see a spiral and a box girder up on the east and west sides by the end of today. Let's hope it happens.

Took 3 classes with him as a history minor. My favorite prof by far.

AD2DC9BB-6499-43BA-A97D-E6270892625D.jpeg

Took 3 classes with him as a history minor. My favorite prof by far.
I never took a course from Professor Bennett. Also missed Sarah Short, who I believe taught a popular course on nutrition, and Henry Levinstein, the professor who taught the Physics of Toys course. Very unfortunate.

Some of my favorites:

Bob McClure
Michael Sawyer
OM Pardee
EF Storm
Marvin Druger
Ben Burtt (Sr)

All great in different ways.

Back to the crane thread. I bet some enterprising architecture prof is already preparing a discussion of the crown truss for a course dealing in building design. It would be a good way to get kids to relate to the material.

The counter weights really come into play when the cranes are asked to lift the box girders. Based on where the counter weights appear to be being stacked, it looks like Skylar is going to be moving a box girder from the storage area near Heroy, probably up to connect to the stand alone spiral that was put up this morning.

That spiral appears to have been stablized via supporting cables and I think it is ready to hold up a box girder. Looks like good news!

Based on where the counter weights are being placed, it looks like they are probably going to lift the big box girder in the parking area next to Stadium Control.

We have to get a spiral in place before that box girder can be added to the crown truss, and there are no signs that is happening, so I am guessing it is just going to get moved to the main storage area. Odd. Why wouldn't it have been placed in the main storage area when it first arrived if that was the case? I assumed it was placed there because it was going to be the next box girder to go up and it was easier to get it in position from that location.

Then there was the weird snafu where a box girder was brought over the the delivery area on Irving, and actually picked up by Walt and brought over to the Irving Ave storage area, then, just before being unloaded, brought back to the truck from where it came originally.

Strange things are afoot at the crown truss.

Why aren't we adding on to the crown truss on both sides yet? We seem flush with inventory for both sides. I can only assume that the spirals and/or box girders needed for the next step on both sides are still not here.
Tomcat, we both thought that we'd see more work on the northeast and west sides considering all the spirals and girders piled in Walt's yard - the counterweights were loaded in the tray ready for action and then came the knuckle down due to the winds. Now the winds are gone and we have one spiral up but that's it. Are we waiting for a special load of correct spirals and a girder or two that aren't on site in your opinion??? I'm getting impatient though I know I shouldn't be with all the holds in the past.

According to this schedule, the SU women play Clemson in the dome tonight at 6 pm.

That would mean they violated a rumored rule by putting up the one spiral this morning.

I can't see why they would put up the spiral if they didn't have the box girder in storage locally. I am guessing it goes up tomorrow. Maybe it just got too close to game time today to continue work?

On the west side, the counter weights imply Walt is going to pick up the spiral sitting to his north next. I said spiral based on the handful of counter weights attached to him right now. Everything looks queued up to go, and I don't know why they would have just the one spiral in the open unless it was the next one to go up.

My guess, and this is just a guess, is that they are waiting for the box girder that goes with the spiral. As mentioned above, I don't think it makes sense to put a spiral up without the box girder that pairs with it nearby, ready to also go up.

You can see a pile of counter weights lined up west of Walt, which is where you would expect them to be if the next thing Walt is going to do is to lift a box girder (because there are a ton of counter weights stacked up), and place it on the western end of the crown truss grouping.

Hopefully we get a spiral and two box girders put up tomorrow. The weather looks okay and I don't think there are any events booked in the dome.

Tomorrow is the last day with no events booked for a while. Something is going on 3 days in a row after that, as we see the impact of front ending home schedules to prepare for no events in the Dome in March and beyond.

I was driving on 690W the other day and I cannot wait to see how high this roof stands

I thought I saw a box girder on the north side of the dome in one of Bee's pictures.

I thought I saw a box girder on the north side of the dome in one of Bee's pictures.
Indeed, there is clearly one in the background of the picture featured in post 2291.

O.M. (Otway) Pardee! Good guy. Sorry to hear he is no longer with us. As I remember it, one of his favorite expressions was 'various and sundry'.

File this into the category of "wild coincidences" - I'd never heard of this guy, but I always get a kick out of people who remember specific things about old professors (who doesn't?) when I read your post. So today I was going through some (very) old property records for a client and read the words "Otway Pardee"...where have I heard that name before??

Thought for awhile without any context, thought a little more, and put it together - it's this guy!

So anyway, Dr. Pardee was fondly remembered by a few of you, but he wasn't the most well-known resident of his own block: his across-the-street neighbor was the author Raymond Carver. I've walked by the Pardee house at 843 Maryland Avenue dozens of times, it's only a few blocks from my house. Looks like he'd owned it since 1962 and some relatives inherited it last year. Funny...the stories behind every property that are mostly beneath the surface.