the crane the crane | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

tomcat do you have an opinion? Might this piece be installed on the corner we can't see with the live cam?
Everything that has been backed up Forestry Drive towards the Barnes Center ends up in that storage area I was talking about earlier today. I think that rail piece is going there too.

The cranes have been put in their ‘down’ position, where they will no doubt stay all day tomorrow, given the strong winds in the forecast.

I think the next steps are to finish the 2nd arrowhead in the northeast corner, add a second arrowhead in both the northeast and northwest corners and then to connect the corner arrowheads using the longer pieces of rail we know are sitting near both of these corners. After that, I would assume they will establish arrowheads in the southeast and southwest corners and then work to get all four corners connected.

There are 36 support columns in the building. They have a little more than 1 complete to date. There are 10 weeks and a day before the end of January. Factor in the holidays for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years and they really have about 9 weeks to get this done.

Given all this, the pace they need to get the crown truss done by the end of January is about 4 a week. They don’t even have the brown steel in place, ready to go yet for the corners on the south side of the building. There is a ton of work to do. The pace needs to pick up dramatically for them to have any shot and the weather is just going to get worse from this point forward.

This is a daunting task. Hope the crew is up to it.

Everything that has been backed up Forestry Drive towards the Barnes Center ends up in that storage area I was talking about earlier today. I think that rail piece is going there too.

The cranes have been put in their ‘down’ position, where they will no doubt stay all day tomorrow, given the strong winds in the forecast.

I think the next steps are to finish the 2nd arrowhead in the northeast corner, add a second arrowhead in both the northeast and northwest corners and then to connect the corner arrowheads using the longer pieces of rail we know are sitting near both of these corners. After that, I would assume they will establish arrowheads in the southeast and southwest corners and then work to get all four corners connected.

There are 36 support columns in the building. They have a little more than 1 complete to date. There are 10 weeks and a day before the end of January. Factor in the holidays for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years and they really have about 9 weeks to get this done.

Given all this, the pace they need to get the crown truss done by the end of January is about 4 a week. They don’t even have the brown steel in place, ready to go yet for the corners on the south side of the building. There is a ton of work to do. The pace needs to pick up dramatically for them to have any shot and the weather is just going to get worse from this point forward.

This is a daunting task. Hope the crew is up to it.
I think weather is really going to cause problems for them to accomplish this schedule. We will see. Its not like they could throw more workers into speeding things up. The limiting factors are the cranes can only lift things at a certain rate, and every day they can not work is a lost day.

its still a strange pace.. seems like lots of down time, its not like they need the crazy big cranes to do everything

its still a strange pace.. seems like lots of down time, its not like they need the crazy big cranes to do everything

It does appear that way, regarding the pace & down time. I have to imagine that all of this was accounted for when bidding/excepting the price. It is the nature of the beast here, especially with SU choosing to go the direction in which they did (particular design, building a new roof over the existing one, etc.) so probably anticipated. It certainly would be interesting to know what the labor & equipment costs are here in relation to the actual material costs, not to mention the profit margin built into it as well.

Last edited:
today though a prime example. wind and rain was supposed to come but very late in the day and nothing was done, now we dont know what the next would have been and maybe it takes a whole day to do it but it would be interesting to know why it seems to lull so often.

Is this the sort of thing that you get faster and more efficient as they go, improving their process with each piece installed? Or have they done this many times and are already as good as they'll get at it?

There is what looks like a scaffold hanging from the first arrowhead, under the big rail piece. It looks like the tall skinny white crane just dropped someone, maybe several people on to the scaffold. Maybe they are prepping for connecting it to another piece of top rail?

Meanwhile Walt remains sleeping but Harold, or whatever we are calling the crane on the East side, is up and about.

There is what looks like a scaffold hanging from the first arrowhead, under the big rail piece. It looks like the tall skinny white crane just dropped someone, maybe several people on to the scaffold. Maybe they are prepping for connecting it to another piece of top rail?

Meanwhile Walt remains sleeping but Harold, or whatever we are calling the crane on the East side, is up and about.
My vote is for Kranky. And I can see guys walking on the scaffold. Probably not very toasty up there.

How about Michael? (For my fellow Losties)

1574714584966.png

They are lifting one of the big top rails right now. Don't think that little crne is going to do much with it but I am guessing they are getting close to attaching it up top.

Walt moved a little at the start of the day and stopped. I noticed some workers inspecting it at its elbow shortly afterwards.

I wonder if it is possible that it is having some mechanical issues (i.e. upper body injury)?

On the far side, it looks like they are connecting another support, building that one into an arrowhead. Nice.

Walt moved a little at the start of the day and stopped. I noticed some workers inspecting it at its elbow shortly afterwards.

It looks like the large hook that was dangling from the middle of Walt is now missing. Usually it hangs up near that elbow when in this position.

They are lifting one of the big top rails right now. Don't think that little crne is going to do much with it but I am guessing they are getting close to attaching it up top.

I wonder if it is possible that it is having some mechanical issues (i.e. upper body injury)?

On the far side, it looks like they are connecting another support, building that one into an arrowhead. Nice.
Hopefully it’s just an owie.

I laughed out loud for real when I read the "upper body injury" comment.