the crane the crane | Page 88 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

White lift from Walts yard just loaded some material onto truck that brought last girder. Wonder if its going back to Montreal. Was it just straps and such ? going back to Montreal ?

so how much more can Walt move and still do anything on the west side.. they cant do much more counterwieight stuff or it wont be able to spin.. lost of pieces where will they go next.. can we start another pool for that?

White lift from Walts yard just loaded some material onto truck that brought last girder. Wonder if its going back to Montreal. Was it just straps and such ? going back to Montreal ?
That was the back axel of the trailer loaded on the front.

I see they placed in the missing tooth. We've got a full smile now. When did it happen?

HALF DONE?*

After the long awaited connection it almost seems things, are by sight, looking half done

The crew working late into Wednesday night installed that special link, it was “just the one”

Today us Craniacs took and posted pictures, talked about what had occurred and got into some Jetzon remarks

Tomorrow is going to be very cold - I wonder if the brave iron workers will make the day with a newly installed spiral steel column or if they will be welding another back stay together creating many sparks

The girders sit and wait for the columns to arise before they may take their place above them rising toward the skies

Have faith in the crew, they have a schedule and they'll know what they're supposed to do

It's doing it that is the goal to get that second half done now it seems

We'll all be watching in rapt attention rooting for the working teams

They can do it will be the cry to complete another section they will try

Come the end of February there is this project to finish - to get this job done on time

If they can do it and even if they are slightly behind I think we'll all be just fine

XT, the Fans top cop posts only the most direct things, Legacy buried in her myriad posts shows up sometimes, bees taking critical pics for us – he is like someone said todays MVP, and tomcat providing the critical running narrative of what is, what's needed and all that stuff

Like the staring Craniacs that we are we will be watching, but don't forget - tomorrow it's below freezing bring your ear muffs! :) ;) :rolleyes: *updated @ 10:00 P.M.

Last edited:
SInce we are talking about old cartoons (at least us old-timers), I heard the third crane will look like this:
1581686011291.png

HALF DONE?*

After the long awaited connection it almost seems things, are by sight, looking half done

The crew working late into Wednesday night installed that special link, it was “just the one”

Today us Craniacs took and posted pictures, talked about what had occurred and got into some Jetzon remarks

Tomorrow is going to be very cold - I wonder if the brave iron workers will make the day with a newly installed spiral steel column or if they will be welding another back stay together creating many sparks

The girders sit and wait for the columns to arise before they may take their place above them rising toward the skies

Have faith in the crew, they have a schedule and they'll know what they're supposed to do

It's doing it that is the goal to get that second half done now it seems

We'll all be watching in rapt attention rooting for the working teams

They can do it will be the cry to complete another section they will try

Come the end of February there is this project to finish - to get this job done on time

If they can do it and even if they are slightly behind I think we'll all be just fine

XT, the Fans top cop posts only the most direct things, Legacy buried in her myriad posts shows up sometimes, bees taking critical pics for us – he is like someone said todays MVP, and tomcat providing the critical running narrative of what is, what's needed and all that stuff

Like the staring Craniacs that we are we will be watching, but don't forget - tomorrow it's below freezing bring your ear muffs! :) ;) :rolleyes: *updated @ 10:00 P.M.
There are 36 columns, which means there are 36 box girders that comprise the crown truss.

The north, south, east and west walls all have 6 columns. The 4 diagonal walls each have 3.

4 * 6 = 24
4 * 3 = 12

Right now we have 3 of the 8 walls completed. 4 box girders were needed to do the 2 diagonal walls and 5 were needed to do the north wall.

4 * 2 = 8
5 * 1 = 5

By my count, we have 13 of 36 done. So I don't think we are halfway done but we are getting close.

Hopefully we will see a spiral or two in the air soon and get the ball rolling on building the east and west sides of the crown truss.

Here goes Tom with that Math thing again.

So let's assume 7-8 weeks is the goal to get it done. That means they need to install 3 box girders a week.

A tough task. However, if March isn't cruel and April is kinda dry it is possible if they work longer shifts.

Daylight length is increasing so that is a plus. Temps are on the rise but ice and rain can be an issue. Edit: also, there should be an empty Done o/a March 1st (no restrictions). They have to have a final go/no-go day for the roof.

I hope UB stadium is willing to host the Colgate game.

H/t: upperdeck/tomcat for reminding me on March 1st

Last edited:
There are 36 columns, which means there are 36 box girders that comprise the crown truss.

The north, south, east and west walls all have 6 columns. The 4 diagonal walls each have 3.

4 * 6 = 24
4 * 3 = 12

Right now we have 3 of the 8 walls completed. 4 box girders were needed to do the 2 diagonal walls and 5 were needed to do the north wall.

4 * 2 = 8
5 * 1 = 5

By my count, we have 13 of 36 done. So I don't think we are halfway done but we are getting close.

Hopefully we will see a spiral or two in the air soon and get the ball rolling on building the east and west sides of the crown truss.

In the spirit of math, 36/3 = 12. With 13 being 1 more than 12, 12 would represent 1/3 of 36...so with that, the math says it's slightly beyond 1/3 of the way completed. :):)

the current build has a ton of non usable time built in. once the place goes empty it becomes a much more straight forward build process, adding bodies, working more hours is much easier. it then becomes more of a cost issue

Here goes Tom with that Math thing again.

So let's assume 7-8 weeks is the goal to get it done. That means they need to install 3 box girders a week.

A tough task. However, if March isn't cruel and April is kinda dry it is possible if they work longer shifts.

Daylight length is increasing so that is a plus. Temps are on the rise but ice and rain can be an issue. They have to have a final go/no-go day for the roof.

I hope UB stadium is willing to host the Colgate game.
Good thoughts.

One of the big things that appears to be hindering progress is the rule that you can't put objects in the air on game days. The dome is used so often, this is a really big deal. I think the crew is losing half of a given week, sometimes more than that, week after week.

I think another big obstacle, if reports can be believed (and I think they can), is having the spirals and box girders needed to move forward. This has definitely played a role in slowing down progress.

Once the dome officially closes at the start of March, that first problem goes away. Hopefully our friends in Canada get their act together and we start seeing a lot of inventory in the way of spirals and box girders build up.

We have seen people work OT already. Gotta believe a lot of it is coming the next few months.

A big key is getting the pad for the 3rd crane finished and getting it here and fully assembled. The shipments of railroad ties would seem to imply the pad is done or close to done and they are ready or almost ready to put the ties down and start assembling the crane. I think it it took 19 loads of steel from tractor trailers to build Walt. Hoping we start seeing a lot of crane looking steel start arriving and heading towards the Robin Hood Oak next to the Barnes Center soon. That would be a really good thing get going.

When they get into March, I could see the two sides completing 2 or 3 girders a week (4-6 a week total). Until then, I think 2 or 3 a week total would be a reasonable rate, given all the obstacles they are up against.

So maybe we can get to 18 box girders or so in place by the end of February. Hoping March could be a big month with 4 or 5 completed each week. I will be really disappointed if we can't complete the crown truss by the end of March.

Yes , It seems closing the dome will change the dynamic considerably. I expect the pace to ramp up after that Women’s game March 1st. The big question is how much.

Good thoughts.

One of the big things that appears to be hindering progress is the rule that you can't put objects in the air on game days. The dome is used so often, this is a really big deal. I think the crew is losing half of a given week, sometimes more than that, week after week.

I think another big obstacle, if reports can be believed (and I think they can), is having the spirals and box girders needed to move forward. This has definitely played a role in slowing down progress.

Once the dome officially closes at the start of March, that first problem goes away. Hopefully our friends in Canada get their act together and we start seeing a lot of inventory in the way of spirals and box girders build up.

We have seen people work OT already. Gotta believe a lot of it is coming the next few months.

A big key is getting the pad for the 3rd crane finished and getting it here and fully assembled. The shipments of railroad ties would seem to imply the pad is done or close to done and they are ready or almost ready to put the ties down and start assembling the crane. I think it it took 19 loads of steel from tractor trailers to build Walt. Hoping we start seeing a lot of crane looking steel start arriving and heading towards the Robin Hood Oak next to the Barnes Center soon. That would be a really good thing get going.

When they get into March, I could see the two sides completing 2 or 3 girders a week (4-6 a week total). Until then, I think 2 or 3 a week total would be a reasonable rate, given all the obstacles they are up against.

So maybe we can get to 18 box girders or so in place by the end of February. Hoping March could be a big month with 4 or 5 completed each week. I will be really disappointed if we can't complete the crown truss by the end of March.
March can be a cruel month with Nor'easters. Hopefully they stay away.