the crane the crane | Page 152 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

They have to be a little nuts to do this. I can’t imagine what their hourly rates are. You couldn‘t pay me enough to do this. I hate heights. I get nervous just watching them.
Amazing folks that can be so relaxed about working at height. I love watching them. Their memories of this special time for the dome would be interesting to capture. I've worked on a few memorable projects, but the dome endeavor is obsessive for the viewer and must have meaning for the crews...kudos to all of them making this transition happen. Planning is great, but the execution of a plan is what makes it all worthwhile. It's taken a lot of action on the part of many to pull this off...

Amazing folks that can be so relaxed about working at height. I love watching them. Their memories of this special time for the dome would be interesting to capture. I've worked on a few memorable projects, but the dome endeavor is obsessive for the viewer and must have meaning for the crews...kudos to all of them making this transition happen. Planning is great, but the execution of a plan is what makes it all worthwhile. It's taken a lot of action on the part of many to pull this off...
7012e56e56f32cfeb99f597218b9c90b.jpg

Let’s hope we’re not done today. Hopefully, a couple more spirals will be installed.

Let’s hope we’re not done today. Hopefully, a couple more spirals will be installed.
On the west side, the next steps are the two diagonal spirals for the vertical one just installed, to complete the middle arrowhead. On the east side, the next step is a vertical spiral, and then a girder. The west side remains in front by a girder in the race for installing the last girder.

Can’t see any new deliveries with the snafu with the Lawinson camera field of vision issue. Hopefully someone will realize they really screwed things up and fix it soon. With Pete Sala on the case, it should happen in no time. ;)

There's the taking of the reservation and then there's the holding of the reservation. And really the holding of the reservation is the most important part.

There's the taking of the reservation and then there's the holding of the reservation. And really the holding of the reservation is the most important part.
Not to mention the showing up for the reservation!

They have to be a little nuts to do this. I can’t imagine what their hourly rates are. You couldn‘t pay me enough to do this. I hate heights. I get nervous just watching them.
In 2018 these were the top 5 salaries per year for ironworkers. Depends on the state:
The average salary for an ironworker in the United States is around $53,970 per year. Thought it would be more than this:
New Jersey$90,570
New York$89,770
Illinois$88,360
Hawaii$74,110
Massachusetts$82,370

Last edited:
In 2018 these were the top 5 salaries per year for ironworkers. Depends on the state:
The average salary for an ironworker in the United States is around $53,970 per year. Thought it would be more than this:
New Jersey$90,570
New York$89,770
Illinois$88,360
Hawaii$74,110
Massachusetts$82,370
I'm guessing ironworker is not a 12-months-a-year job.

For Sunday: Don't know if they'll have to knuckle Walt and Skylar but I believe 22 M.P.H magic number.

3/29

Breezy and not as cool with periods of rain

Max UV Index: 1 Low

Wind: ESE at 14 mph

Wind Gusts: 22 mph

Probability of Precipitation: 80%

Probability of Thunderstorms: 24%

Precipitation: 1.04 in

Rain: 1.04 in

Snow: 0.0 in

Ice: 0.00 in

Hours of Precipitation: 8

Hours of Rain: 8

Last edited:
Right now from what I can see there are three crew on the scaffold in front of the LC that just climbed on top of the girder - they have a small ladder to get themselves off the scaffold platform onto the top of the girder they then step over the fence onto the girder. One stayed on the TBL.

Next week the average high/low is 51/37 with Thurs. & Fri. the two days with possible showers

Mon. 3/30

49°Hi

Mostly cloudy and cooler with a shower

Max UV Index: 1 Low

Wind: WSW at 10 mph

Wind Gusts: 16 mph

Probability of Precipitation: 56%

Probability of Thunderstorms: 20%

Precipitation: 0.06 in

Rain: 0.06 in

Snow: 0.0 in

Ice: 0.00 in

Hours of Precipitation: 1

Hours of Rain: 1

More about Ironworkers:

Because federal labor law places employers under a general duty to keep their workers safe from hazards that can cause serious harm or death, employers must not conduct operations in rainy conditions if workers cannot be adequately protected.

Men and women in the ironworking craft face many dangers on the job. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, the percentage of injuries to ironworkers is among the highest of all career fields. While fabricating metal products, plus erecting, assembling and installing sometimes enormous steel building materials, ironworkers should be well trained to prevent disaster. Ironworkers must be agile to balance and climb, particularly when working with large structures such as bridges and tall buildings. An ironworker's equipment cache includes safety belts and nets, as well as scaffolding. Ironworkers must operate responsibly and look out for fellow laborers to minimize risks.

Falls

Falling is one of the most significant dangers to ironworkers. Ironworkers are often performing tasks several feet above ground. The process of climbing to tall heights, then performing necessary tasks at high levels, carries serious risks. Because ironworkers are commonly on the job year round, surfaces can be slick due to rain or ice. One misstep and an ironworker can tumble, resulting in serious injury or death. Safety harnesses are utilized to minimize the risk of falls.

Cuts

Daily contact with sharp metal brings with it the danger of cuts to ironworkers. Metal shears are commonly used to cut iron and mistakes can result in an ironworker slicing a hand or limb. Ironworkers must always be alert and well-equipped when working with metal to avoid serious cuts that can lead to infections, stitches or permanent damage.

Muscle Strain

Ironworkers face a high risk of muscle strain. Many job sites require movement of heavy pieces of steel with the duty of unloading and stacking part of an iron worker's tasks. This lifting and bending can lead to pulled muscles and back pain. Even when equipment, such as a crane, is utilized to lift large metal, ironworkers must guide placement, requiring reaching and stretching that can cause muscle strain. Welding is also part of an iron worker's job and is often performed in awkward positions, leading to muscle pain.

Burns

Iron workers weld on a regular basis which can lead to burns. Not only can welding equipment scorch hands and limbs, but sparks can fly into eyes, causing serious damage. When welding, ironworkers must wear protective glasses, clothing and welding gloves to prevent these types of injuries. In addition, vapors and heat from welding activities, especially when working near combustible materials, can lead to fire, resulting in extensive injuries or death. Adhering to safety guidelines is a must for ironworkers when using welding equipment.

Not all projects that they work on are this large, and require winter work.
My father has been in iron works (crane operator, welder, foreman etc) for 40 years (a Local Syracuse shop).

He has never worked on a project that didn’t go through the winter. Ever.

You are mistaken.

The boys dress for the cold and go out and get it done.

EDIT: Also I grew up around all these guys and they would tell me stories about how in the 80’s they would sit on a huge I beam that was being hoisted up by the crane so they could get to their spot on the building. No harness, no nothing.

I am terrified of heights, so I would always ask, what in the world would compel you? And they all had the same crazy answer... “because I like the rush” (or some other less appropriate thing to say to a 12 year old haha). These guys just have different DNA. I am happy there are people out there like that.

Last edited:
I'm guessing ironworker is not a 12-months-a-year job.
Do ironworkers work year round?
Most ironworkers do more than one type of ironwork and each has its own challenges and required skills. Most ironwork is done outdoors and can be carried on year-round except in very severe weather. In many cases, however, there is indoor work that is coordinated to correspond with bad weather.

More about Ironworkers:

Because federal labor law places employers under a general duty to keep their workers safe from hazards that can cause serious harm or death, employers must not conduct operations in rainy conditions if workers cannot be adequately protected.

Men and women in the ironworking craft face many dangers on the job. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, the percentage of injuries to ironworkers is among the highest of all career fields. While fabricating metal products, plus erecting, assembling and installing sometimes enormous steel building materials, ironworkers should be well trained to prevent disaster. Ironworkers must be agile to balance and climb, particularly when working with large structures such as bridges and tall buildings. An ironworker's equipment cache includes safety belts and nets, as well as scaffolding. Ironworkers must operate responsibly and look out for fellow laborers to minimize risks.

Falls

Falling is one of the most significant dangers to ironworkers. Ironworkers are often performing tasks several feet above ground. The process of climbing to tall heights, then performing necessary tasks at high levels, carries serious risks. Because ironworkers are commonly on the job year round, surfaces can be slick due to rain or ice. One misstep and an ironworker can tumble, resulting in serious injury or death. Safety harnesses are utilized to minimize the risk of falls.

Cuts

Daily contact with sharp metal brings with it the danger of cuts to ironworkers. Metal shears are commonly used to cut iron and mistakes can result in an ironworker slicing a hand or limb. Ironworkers must always be alert and well-equipped when working with metal to avoid serious cuts that can lead to infections, stitches or permanent damage.

Muscle Strain

Ironworkers face a high risk of muscle strain. Many job sites require movement of heavy pieces of steel with the duty of unloading and stacking part of an iron worker's tasks. This lifting and bending can lead to pulled muscles and back pain. Even when equipment, such as a crane, is utilized to lift large metal, ironworkers must guide placement, requiring reaching and stretching that can cause muscle strain. Welding is also part of an iron worker's job and is often performed in awkward positions, leading to muscle pain.

Burns

Iron workers weld on a regular basis which can lead to burns. Not only can welding equipment scorch hands and limbs, but sparks can fly into eyes, causing serious damage. When welding, ironworkers must wear protective glasses, clothing and welding gloves to prevent these types of injuries. In addition, vapors and heat from welding activities, especially when working near combustible materials, can lead to fire, resulting in extensive injuries or death. Adhering to safety guidelines is a must for ironworkers when using welding equipment.
Ow...

Structural ironworker - This a great reference about them and about the tools they use

Before construction can begin, the structural ironworkers have to put together cranes in order to lift the steel columns, beams, and girders according to structural blueprints. To hoist the steel, structural ironworkers use cables connected to the crane to lift the beams onto the steel columns. A rope called a tagline is attached to the beams so an ironworker can control them when needed. The crane hoists steel into place, and the ironworkers position the beams with spud wrenches to align bolt holes. Then the beams can be bolted to the steel columns. This process is continued until there are no beams or columns left to construct the structure.[13] Structural ironworkers also erect joist girders, bar joists, and trusses, and also install metal decking.

The average annual income for a structural ironworker in the early 2000s was 15.85 dollars per hour; however, a full-time structural ironworker could make 30-40 dollars per hour, depending on the location of the work site.[12] The current wages for the Local Union #1 Chicago Ironworkers can be found at the Chicago Ironworkers local union website.[14]

The typical structural ironworker's tools are the spud wrench, bolt bag, sleever bars, bull pins, drift pins, and beaters. The spud wrench is the most important tool of a structural ironworker because it serves dual purposes. It is a wrench to tighten bolts, and the opposite end of the wrench can be used to align holes of beams with columns. It is made from a steel alloy, and it has a gradual taper to easily align bolt holes on beams. The bolt bag is a heavy canvas bag used for storing bolts and nuts that erect a structure. A sleever bar is a steel alloy bar used to pry on beams to put them in place, when a spud wrench is insufficient. A beater is forged steel head mallet with a lacquered hickory handle for beating a tapered pin or bull pin into the bolt hole to align the others at the beam end or "point" and stuff the rest of the holes. Drift pins have a tapper on both ends and get to be the largest diameter in the center and are used for aligning holes made up of multiple plates.

Although use of fall harnesses has reduced fatalities in this sector over time, structural steel erection remains one of the most dangerous occupations in construction. Workplace accidents claim the lives of approximately 38 out of every 100,000 full-time ironworkers each year.[15]
RE: Lawrinson camera

Email from Peter E Sala: Lawrinson camera
PS
Peter E Sala<pesala>3:48 PM

To WILLIAM J PHILLIPS

• I will look into it.

Peter E Sala | Vice President & Chief Facilities Officer | Managing Director, Carrier Dome

1320 Jamesville Ave. | 900 Irving Ave.
Syracuse, New York 13244

t 315.443.3517 m 315.952.5021 e pesala w facilities.syr.edu

SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY
syr.edu

Sent: Friday, March 27, 2020 3:31 PM
To: Peter E Sala <pesala>
Subject: Lawrinson camera

Dear Mr. Sala,

My name is Bill Phillips a '68 graduate of the school of Industrial Design.

I have been, since the beginning of this project, the daily play by play announcer of the Dome construction site writing what happens each day to about a thousand people - members of syracusefan.com and guests.

I try and make it fun for me and them.

Up until a day ago we had a great view provided by you or Hayner of the Dome, the main yard, the arrival of and offloading of spirals, and girders, the loading of the counterweight tray for "Walt" and the attachment of lifting straps and collars in the main yard. It's exciting for us Craniacs and keeps us graduates occupied as we watch history being made.

However yesterday the camera was moved from the position it was in for months to a very "cropped" position of the Dome as it now only shows us the live stream from edge of the west side to edge of the east side of the Dome excluding the main yard and all that goes on there - sort of confining if you will.

We don't see what we were used to observing which was much more interesting. There have been many who are wondering if the position could be moved to its original position?

If it is at all possible could you consider moving the camera back to where it was? Many would thank you for your effort. We all know your title and responsibilities - you are a very busy man and this is just another little thing to attend to but would make people on the site very happy and appreciative.

Thank you for your attention and for reading this.

Sincerely,

William J. Phillips, Jr. SU 1968
I think I should have asked him WHEN?

RE: Lawrinson camera

Email from Peter E Sala: Lawrinson camera

PS
Peter E Sala<pesala>3:48 PM

To WILLIAM J PHILLIPS

• I will look into it.

Peter E Sala | Vice President & Chief Facilities Officer | Managing Director, Carrier Dome

1320 Jamesville Ave. | 900 Irving Ave.
Syracuse, New York 13244

t 315.443.3517 m 315.952.5021 e pesala w facilities.syr.edu

SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY
syr.edu

Sent: Friday, March 27, 2020 3:31 PM
To: Peter E Sala <pesala>
Subject: Lawrinson camera

Dear Mr. Sala,

My name is Bill Phillips a '68 graduate of the school of Industrial Design.

I have been, since the beginning of this project, the daily play by play announcer of the Dome construction site writing what happens each day to about a thousand people - members of syracusefan.com and guests.

I try and make it fun for me and them.

Up until a day ago we had a great view provided by you or Hayner of the Dome, the main yard, the arrival of and offloading of spirals, and girders, the loading of the counterweight tray for "Walt" and the attachment of lifting straps and collars in the main yard. It's exciting for us Craniacs and keeps us graduates occupied as we watch history being made.

However yesterday the camera was moved from the position it was in for months to a very "cropped" position of the Dome as it now only shows us the live stream from edge of the west side to edge of the east side of the Dome excluding the main yard and all that goes on there - sort of confining if you will.

We don't see what we were used to observing which was much more interesting. There have been many who are wondering if the position could be moved to its original position?

If it is at all possible could you consider moving the camera back to where it was? Many would thank you for your effort. We all know your title and responsibilities - you are a very busy man and this is just another little thing to attend to but would make people on the site very happy and appreciative.

Thank you for your attention and for reading this.

Sincerely,

William J. Phillips, Jr. SU 1968
[/QUOTE]
I think I should have asked him WHEN?

Doesnt SU have a group on campus that manages projects like this? There should be other ways to this request looked into

Doesnt SU have a group on campus that manages projects like this? There should be other ways to this request looked into
Maybe tomcat or bees know. We're really missing a lot with the current view. If Sala doesn't follow through we're stuck! Maybe PS is taking the weekend off and we won't see anything until Monday. That would be the optimistic view. All he has to say to one of his staff who is familiar with it is go change the cameras view to what it was - IF IN FACT - he and not Hayner Hoyt is in control of the LC. He could have said more but didn't.
The sleeve in the view I saw while it was changed the first time and spun temporarily back to the cemetery then put back was definitely a tan, worn construction jacket. At this point, I don't know who's in charge of its operation. I wish I could be in Syracuse on Monday and find out and try and see that it's accomplished.

Last edited: