the crane the crane | Page 234 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

well the way things are going they probably have a new goal of next years July Graduation ceremony to be ready for.

It will be ready to go come September, construction isn’t my worry.

I don't see much activity on the weekends, so they must be comfortable with the timeline.

Just my WAG but I'm guessing we may start to see the jacks getting installed on each side of the stadium after the second crane gets stood up.

either they dont want to spend the money to attack a timeline or they dont have an issue with the timeline or they have accepted the timeline is behind..

which one of the 3 it is is still to be determined but #3 was something that they seemed to want to avoid.

I know the higher ups say the timeline is on schedule but that deadline keeps getting closer and closer and there is little progress that “we” have seen. I’m sure they are working hard and accomplishing a lot but as each day passes I can’t believe how much work is left. Especially sense this roof raising is supposed to be the hardest part of this project, which will only bring set backs and delays, I’m starting to believe some things might not be completed by the first game.
The scoreboard obviously could be delayed. They could install it between Colgate and Louisville. Lighting could be sped up by just installing FB specific lighting before Colgate and the final fit out with basketball specific lighting in October.

T
1593476994487.png
his was taken just now. Looks like they have started lifting cables !!

View attachment 183170

This was taken just now. Looks like they have started lifting cables !!
Major moment. How are they doing the lifting? Are those strand jacks up top where the cables connect to the crown truss? I am guessing that they are...

How long will it take to raise the roof? 30 days? Nice to finally be able to see something!

Major moment. How are they doing the lifting? Are those strand jacks up top where the cables connect to the crown truss? I am guessing that they are...

How long will it take to raise the roof? 30 days? Nice to finally be able to see something!
Definitely should be faster than 30 days. I'd bet 10-15 max.

at the rate the cables are going this will take hrs not days. went up another 5-10 ft just a bit ago.

at the rate the cables are going this will take hrs not days. went up another 5-10 ft just a bit ago.
Looks like it has gone up 20 or 30 feet today.

I have to think there are strand jacks up where the cables attach to the crown truss.

The videos on stadium roof raising indicated the strand jacks are all centrally controlled by a computer, so they all pull the net up at the same time, at the same rate, in a coordinated way.

That meshes with what we are seeing this morning. But the speed that they are going looks really fast compared to the videos. A lot of them were filmed 6, 8 even 10 years ago. Maybe they have had some major advances in how this works?

Here is the progress made so far today, as of 9:13 am:

Start of day

063020before.jpg

9:13 am

063020913am.jpg

so we have the long cables in the cross stitch pattern and then under that we have the the oval pattern with the nuns Habit
1593525783480.png

Looks like it has gone up 20 or 30 feet today.

I have to think there are strand jacks up where the cables attach to the crown truss.

The videos on stadium roof raising indicated the strand jacks are all centrally controlled by a computer, so they all pull the net up at the same time, at the same rate, in a coordinated way.

That meshes with what we are seeing this morning. But the speed that they are going looks really fast compared to the videos. A lot of them were filmed 6, 8 even 10 years ago. Maybe they have had some major advances in how this works?

Here is the progress made so far today, as of 9:13 am:

Start of day

View attachment 183197

9:13 am

View attachment 183198
I can't tell from the images - was there initial slack?

It’s definitely being raised. Wonder if the cables will be raised all the way by tonight. Obviously being raised very slowly

It’s definitely being raised. Wonder if the cables will be raised all the way by tonight. Obviously being raised very slowly
I don't think it has been moved in the last 3 hours. My guess is that they have to do a detailed check to be sure everything is where it should be and all is well before continuing.

I find the white objects with fins that are hanging on cables towards the outside of the cable net very interesting. I am thinking they will be used to connect components of the hard shell part of the roof to the cable net.

063020913am (2).jpg

It looks like the cables they are hanging from are already attached to the tension ring on the perimeter of the walls. At some point, the big cables that compromise the cable net will need to be detached from the cables that are pulling them up towards the crown truss, and also attach to the tension ring.

Very interested to see exactly when that happens.

Last edited:
I don't think it has been moved in the last 3 hours. My guess is that they have to do a detailed check to be sure everything is where it should be and all is well before continuing.

I find the white objects with fins that are hanging on cables towards the outside of the cable net very interesting. I am thinking they will be used to connect components of the hard shell part of the roof to the cable net.

View attachment 183218

It looks like the cables they are hanging from are already attached to the tension ring on the perimeter of the walls. At some point, the big cables that compromise the cable net will need to be detached from the cables that are pulling them up towards the crown truss, and also attach to the tension ring.

Very interested to see exactly when that happens.

Those white things, look to me, to be the connectors for the cables in the ring and then to the truss as shown in the video. And I don't think they detach the cables that are pulling the ring up...that's all part of the ring.