the crane the crane | Page 235 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

The cables actually look like they are lower than they were a couple of hours ago.
Looking at the spacing of the white cable "connectors" it looks slightly higher than Tom's posted pic.

Those white things, look to me, to be the connectors for the cables in the ring and then to the truss as shown in the video. And I don't think they detach the cables that are pulling the ring up...that's all part of the ring.
They are definitely a different shape than the connectors in that video but the shape is similar. The thing is, there are way more of those white fin things than there are columns. And I don't see them surrounding the entire ring, like I would think they would if there was a one to one match between the white things and the columns. Maybe they are doubled up on each column and we just can't see many of them for some reason. But that seems unlikely to me.

I am confident the cables for the new roof will have a one to one correlation to the columns because this has been shown clearly on all the drawings of the new roof we have seen. I can't believe they is something that was changed; the columns are where the building is strongest and the natural place to place the weight of the roof.

Regarding detaching cables, what I was referring to is how do the cables that will comprise the cable net for the roof get connected to the ring? Right now they are not. We know they are going to have to get attached to the ring at some point.

I can't tell for sure but it looks like the cables the white things are attached to cables that are already connected to the ring, which supports your thoughts. But they are definitely attached to each other side to side. Why would they be attached like that if they are all going to be connected to the ring?

Also, from what I see, the cables the white things are attached to are noticeably thinner and less robust than the ones that are tied to the crown truss. It is hard for me to understand if cables that thin are going to be tasked with connecting the boundary diamond to the ring.

And it looks like there are at least two rows of them. We know there are roof cables that run in the directions these run on the hard shell part of the roof. These correspond well to the placement of those cables. All this makes me think those white things might be part of the supports for hard shell portion of the roof.

Could be totally wrong. This is really interesting to watch happen.

Screenshot (34).png

Looks like the second crane is about ready.

Update:

The new crane is up and looks ready to go.

Haven't seen the cable net move yet today. I see crews working on the cable net. Not sure if they are inspecting how things are holding up, making adjustments, etc. The focus appears to be on the connectors where the cables meet.

Did see a bunch of trucks taking lumber piles out from the dome.

Did see some flatbeds bringing stuff into the dome.
Big square panels the width of the flatbed.

And white columns (looked like steel) in a variety of lengths.

I am guessing these are materials for the new roof.

Also, it was a little foggy this morning. This was taken after it started clearing up.

070120.jpg

Last edited:
man thats a boat load of cranes inside doing stuff, at one point there was like 7-8 moving around in there.

The scoreboard obviously could be delayed. They could install it between Colgate and Louisville. Lighting could be sped up by just installing FB specific lighting before Colgate and the final fit out with basketball specific lighting in October.
I connected some dots and concluded that it's highly unlikely that Colgate will be in the Dome on September 19. The Patriot League is requiring athletes report to campus no earlier than the student body as a whole. Colgate classes start 8/27. Even if students are on campus a week earlier, that does not allow for the 6 weeks' practice mandated by the NCAA before 9/19.

From SI.com:

• Athletes would not return to campus before the general student body. Although not every Patriot League school has set its fall academic calendar, that decision makes it highly unlikely that a football team could complete the six-week preparation period in time for the start of the scheduled season opener, as set forth by the NCAA Division I Council, before playing any games. It likely would wipe out all pre-conference scheduling in the league.

I haven’t read through all the messages here, obviously as there are a ton. So no idea if this has been asked (sorry if it has).

Hypothetically, if there is no college football season this year. Would the construction crews just work right through this fall to possibly start phase 2? Finish updating the bathrooms, concession stands, etc... get a head start and possibly finish the project early if no one is using the Dome in the fall. Seems like the perfect opportunity to take advantage of and get some work done. I wonder if Sala and others have taken that into consideration, I know there are so many variables in something like that. But curious if anyone knows.

I haven’t read through all the messages here, obviously as there are a ton. So no idea if this has been asked (sorry if it has).

Hypothetically, if there is no college football season this year. Would the construction crews just work right through this fall to possibly start phase 2? Finish updating the bathrooms, concession stands, etc... get a head start and possibly finish the project early if no one is using the Dome in the fall. Seems like the perfect opportunity to take advantage of and get some work done. I wonder if Sala and others have taken that into consideration, I know there are so many variables in something like that. But curious if anyone knows.
I could be wrong but I don't think they have full financing for Phase 2. I think the timing and financing were the main issues on why they required the two construction periods.

I could be wrong but I don't think they have full financing for Phase 2. I think the timing and financing were the main issues on why they required the two construction periods.

I think the scheduled enhancements tor 2020 and 2022 are collectively considered Phase I and are fully funded. Phase II is the wish list inclusing new seating widened concourses and additional premium seating.

I think the scheduled enhancements tor 2020 and 2022 are collectively considered Phase I and are fully funded. Phase II is the wish list inclusing new seating widened concourses and additional premium seating.
I stand corrected.
I take pride in never having the right answer but being the inspiration for others to provide the answer.

Last edited:
I stand corrected.
I take pride in never having the right answer but being the inspiration for others to provide the truth.
I would guess they would work up to bball season

If the season is postponed to the spring, maybe they will take the time down to finish the AC. That would be the most likely change, I think. They already moved it up to finish for the 2021 football season. If they plan to play football games in the dome in May, they will need AC.

If the season is postponed to the spring, maybe they will take the time down to finish the AC. That would be the most likely change, I think. They already moved it up to finish for the 2021 football season. If they plan to play football games in the dome in May, they will need AC.
That’s what I was thinking. I know they said they will have some bathrooms and concession stands updated for this season but not all. So I was thinking if they don’t have a season why not just finish them ALL off when they can. Would be awesome if they could get the A/C installed then too.

Pee troughs staying correct?

Need a real big chiller quickly.

AC in May, nah. Didn't it snow on Mother's Day this year in Syracuse? ;):)

I've posted the vid before, but it's almost exactly how they lifted the roof at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in terms of the hydraulics.

incredible precision and work

Some great pics on JPW Facebook page tonight.
A good look at some of the components we’ve been talking about the few days.

Attachments

• 2DC21945-33FF-49D9-873E-AFC933E3EDCA.jpeg
    2DC21945-33FF-49D9-873E-AFC933E3EDCA.jpeg
    857.1 KB · Views: 291
  • 22C1B387-3A41-42BF-BF51-7F6CF5BCCBCB.jpeg
    22C1B387-3A41-42BF-BF51-7F6CF5BCCBCB.jpeg
    978.8 KB · Views: 285
  • E8FDBD0F-C6B1-46D8-AC00-32D41DCDFDBF.jpeg
    E8FDBD0F-C6B1-46D8-AC00-32D41DCDFDBF.jpeg
    739.1 KB · Views: 289
  • 1B575C24-BEDB-404C-AB18-E30DD28880EB.jpeg
    1B575C24-BEDB-404C-AB18-E30DD28880EB.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 271
Some great pics on JPW Facebook page tonight.
A good look at some of the components we’ve been talking about the few days.
Awesome pictures. This is what we have been waiting for. Even if Pete Sala remains silent until the project is complete, at least now we can see a little about how things are being done.

You can see a lot here. The white things with wings on the sides of the end zone are prominent in photo one. They are being held in place with temporary cables right now until the roof cables are pulled up over the crown truss to give the roof its dome shape. You can see holes that will be used later on these pieces to help support the hard shell part of the roof.

You can see the roof cables with their connectors, and how they have been brought almost all the way to the top of the crown truss. You can see the strand jacks, which are clearly installed on top of the truss and doing the heavy lifting work.

I doubt they lift the net any further as things stand now. I think they need to install a second set of cables to hold the cable net in place, this time attaching at the diamond that marks the border between the hard shell part of the roof and the PTFE part of the roof.

Once they do that, they can disconnect the original cables used to lift the cable net up near the crown truss, which will free the ends of the roof cables so they can be connected securely to the white tension ring. That will have to be done slowly, one column at a time,

Once that is done, they can pull the net up higher, to where it needs to be long term. I think the honeycomb of cables that will support the PTFE portion of the roof will be flat, with the cables pulled taut. You can see where these cables intersect that there is a square shaped junction box that keeps the cables square to each other. You can see where workers are installed a cap on these squares, which will surely hold the vertical supports that will support the arcs. The vertical supports will have different lengths to give PTFE part of the roof its dome shape.

I think you can see a couple of the vertical supports in the air, held by cranes. I assume those are what the white steel tubes are up there.

No strand jacks in the end zone. The cables there are only one cable of steel as well (the ones getting pulled up by the strand jack have double cables). The original roof only had 14 roof cables. Looks like they have cables for all the columns now.

Note that there are no cables for the lightning rod columns. Looks like they will install cables from one end to the other later. I think there is also one to be added that will go from end to end from south to north.