the crane the crane | Page 254 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Someone was a bad boy or girl posting this. Cool.

Has to be pretty recent too. There aren't many slots left here to put more arcs.

Note all the supporting wires that they have in place on the arcs. I assume this is to stabilize them. Not sure if they are permanent or not.

Thanks for posting it!

Last edited:
Based on these new pictures, any way to tell if the roof height is going to be what was reported? 30' higher than the old one at the apex?

If you don 't believe in architects and engineering, you could probably use this to get some numbers.

I wish SU believed in architecture vs. outright engineering on this project as I remain guarded that the finished product will look aesthetically pleasing. Similar to an non-streamlined addition on a residential dwelling that exemplifies the appearance of an obvious afterthought.

I wish SU believed in architecture vs. outright engineering on this project as I remain guarded that the finished product will look aesthetically pleasing. Similar to an non-streamlined addition on a residential dwelling that exemplifies the appearance of an obvious afterthought.
How much money would you have liked this project to cost?

giphy.gif

I was in town today and took thirty minutes to walk around and try and get a good vantage point. Enjoyed seeing everything up close, or as close as I could get. Here’s a couple shots including some of the crew. The site won’t let me upload the others, file size is too large.

It is really impressive both from the highway and up close, there’s a really nice mix of contemporary and older architecture on campus now and it’s a fun look you won’t find in most of this country. Seeing it in person was something, Im excited to see s game there now!!

Attachments

• A750EFAE-47B3-4B55-80BB-3C862783AF84.jpeg
    A750EFAE-47B3-4B55-80BB-3C862783AF84.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 291
  • 1B28BC16-FE8A-4D36-818F-499A710CD8BA.jpeg
    1B28BC16-FE8A-4D36-818F-499A710CD8BA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 283
I was in town today and took thirty minutes to walk around and try and get a good vantage point. Enjoyed seeing everything up close, or as close as I could get. Here’s a couple shots including some of the crew. The site won’t let me upload the others, file size is too large.

It is really impressive both from the highway and up close, there’s a really nice mix of contemporary and older architecture on campus now and it’s a fun look you won’t find in most of this country. Seeing it in person was something, Im excited to see s game there now!!
Awesome images, gives a little more perspective on how large those arcs are against the size of the ring truss.

It’s a roof

It’s a roof
It’s clearly more then a roof. It’s what everyone sees coming down 690 and 81. Your eyes automatically are drawn to the roller coaster on top. Why is having an opinion on the look of a project the entire city sees such a big deal. Everyone is quick to defend su and make snarky rebuttals. I will say So far I do think it looks better then I thought it would but su should do more. Outside lighting is a must do

It’s clearly more then a roof. It’s what everyone sees coming down 690 and 81. Your eyes automatically are drawn to the roller coaster on top. Why is having an opinion on the look of a project the entire city sees such a big deal. Everyone is quick to defend su and make snarky rebuttals. I will say So far I do think it looks better then I thought it would but su should do more. Outside lighting is a must do
You posted said opinion on a public message board opening it up to other opinions.

Pretty basic stuff.

This is a long thread. Along with a couple of other threads on here, it covers the different solutions that have been considered and the costs associated with said options. The final choice was made based on myriad factors, mainly, but not limited to, the cost and the ability to break the project down into phases that would minimize the disruption of SUs sports teams, which was a major consideration.
Finally, aesthetics are subjective. What you may consider unsightly may be attractive to others.

Morning update:

They have completed the 5th column on the western build and have started on column 6. 4 left to go. They have also started on column 6 on the eastern build (you can see this from the Link camera.

Based on what I can see, the northern build is still finishing up column 5 and is quite far behind.

The southern build is the hardest to see. Pretty sure they have the first 5 columns done. Do not know if column 6 has been started.

Here is a screen capture to illustrate what I am discussing:

073120.jpg

I think at some point in the near future, probably after column 7 has been completed, that the cranes will switch the builds they are working on. Each column that is built puts the steel being installed further from the initial crane doing the install and closer to the crane to the right of the build. Maybe not. They might be long enough to handle the whole build but it has to be easier to do this when the location you are loading the steel is relatively close by.

Finishing section 5 gets them to about 55% complete on the hard shell. That is about there they are this morning.

The installation of the arcs for the PTFE section of the roof is going really well. I won't try to count the number put in place to date but there are a lot of them. Pretty confident they are more than halfway done and probably more like 65 or 70% done.

At this point, it looks like they will be done with the arcs before the hard shell build is finished.

If work continues at the same pace, it looks like they will be finished around the middle of next week. That assumes they work this weekend. If not, probably sometime around the end of next week.

I was originally thinking that after that, they will get the exterior of the hard shell roof in place, working from the perimeter of the roof inwards, and do the PTFE after that.

But based on what they are doing to get the steel up, I am thinking now that the cranes outside the dome will put the exterior surface of the hard shell up and the cranes inside the dome will put the PTFE up.

Once the exterior surface of the hard shell is up, I would think the cranes outside the dome are done and will be sent to their next build.

The ones inside will handle installing insulation, the interior surface of the hard shell, the new lighting and sound systems, some wifi, and the scoreboards.

Once the roof is off, there are lots of other things to do...removing the plastic protecting the private boxes and ribbon scoreboards, putting the benches back in place, installing the new field, etc.

I have seen a lot of what appears to be dry wall being brought into Gate B. I assume this is for the new bathrooms or concession areas.

August is going to be a really intense period for the project. I believe SU asked the ACC to not schedule home games for the first two weeks of the season. Hopefully they will honor this request. After what happened with the new schedule, I am not sure they care about Syracuse at all.

Here's a question that I'm not sure has been asked: why did SU or Geiger decide that half of the roof would be a hard shell? Was there some advantage to this (aside from cost) versus using PFTE to cover the entire surface?

Here's a question that I'm not sure has been asked: why did SU or Geiger decide that half of the roof would be a hard shell? Was there some advantage to this (aside from cost) versus using PFTE to cover the entire surface?
i wondered the same thing. It makes sense if the initial plan of a see through section had gone through. But since it will essentially not be see through, why not just do the same material over the whole structure?

This is a long thread. Along with a couple of other threads on here, it covers the different solutions that have been considered and the costs associated with said options. The final choice was made based on myriad factors, mainly, but not limited to, the cost and the ability to break the project down into phases that would minimize the disruption of SUs sports teams, which was a major consideration.
Finally, aesthetics are subjective. What you may consider unsightly may be attractive to others.

It is...a long thread. And, I've been present in it throughout its duration, along with the other dome renovation threads on here, including the Campus Framework thread. I'm aware of what you mentioned as I have been quite interested in this dating back to May 16, 2016 when it was announced that $255 million Dome/Arch undertaking was planned. At that time, $205 million was stated to be for the Dome, with approximately $105 million of that specifically for the roof.

Interestingly, a week or so later, May 24, 2016 to be exact, the Walter's Group rendering was leaked along with other specifics. That rendering was very attractive in my opinion, and, also in my opinion, superior pleasing from an architectural/aesthetic and streamlined perspective versus the one SU ultimately decided to go with/currently being built. With that roof cited at approximately $105 mil and the one under construction at $118 mil (I realize the later includes the new scoreboard and lighting) the costs would appear to be in the realm relative to same. Unless the lighting & scoreboard substantially exceeds $13 mil. I presume the remaining improvements, as with the current project, could've also been done in phases too.

Yes, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, although "unsightly" are your words not mine. So, perhaps that's your sentiment relative to the aesthetics here.

It is...a long thread. And, I've been present in it throughout its duration, along with the other dome renovation threads on here, including the Campus Framework thread. I'm aware of what you mentioned as I have been quite interested in this dating back to May 16, 2016 when it was announced that $255 million Dome/Arch undertaking was planned. At that time, $205 million was stated to be for the Dome, with approximately $105 million of that specifically for the roof.

Interestingly, a week or so later, May 24, 2016 to be exact, the Walter's Group rendering was leaked along with other specifics. That rendering was very attractive in my opinion, and, also in my opinion, superior pleasing from an architectural/aesthetic and streamlined perspective versus the one SU ultimately decided to go with/currently being built. With that roof cited at approximately $105 mil and the one under construction at $118 mil (I realize the later includes the new scoreboard and lighting) the costs would appear to be in the realm relative to same. Unless the lighting & scoreboard substantially exceeds $13 mil. I presume the remaining improvements, as with the current project, could've also been done in phases too.

Yes, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, although "unsightly" are your words not mine. So, perhaps that's your sentiment relative to the aesthetics here.
Can you cite whatever source had the rendering at $105 mil?

Can you cite whatever source had the rendering at $105 mil?

Simple thing to do, it's called Google. ;)

I'm ambivalent as to the attractiveness of the project, so no, it's not my sentiment. Incidentally, unsightly is an antonym of aesthetic, which was your word. I didn't need to Google that.

The west end is working at a snail pace this morning. If all goes well, they can do a section day. Not going to be close to that today.