the crane the crane | Page 255 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

i wondered the same thing. It makes sense if the initial plan of a see through section had gone through. But since it will essentially not be see through, why not just do the same material over the whole structure?
njcuse, feel free to weigh in here.

As a non pro, my thoughts are that the PTFE section is considerably cheaper to do and considerably lighter than the hard shell section.

The old roof had a center portion that was only one layer and was a lot more transluent than the part with the inner liner. That gave the building an airier, more open feel. I think the PTFE roof, with the rafters and openness, and slightly more translucence, is going to give a similar feel. Maybe even more so.

But I think given the walls of the building, that were not engineered to support a heavy roof, and the budget constraints, having a PTFE section helped address both limitations.

Edited to add NJCuse97

Last edited by a moderator:

As a non pro, my thoughts are that the PTFE section is considerably cheaper to do and considerably lighter than the hard shell section.

The old roof had a center portion that was only one layer and was a lot more transluent than the part with the inner liner. That gave the building an airier, more open feel. I think the PTFE roof, with the rafters and openness, and slightly more translucence, is going to give a similar feel. Maybe even more so.

But I think given the walls of the building, that were not engineered to support a heavy roof, and the budget constraints, having a PTFE section helped address both limitations.

Nah, nothing to do with your last paragraph...the answer is simply because, "it's only a roof!" ;):)

Screenshot (9).png

Simple thing to do, it's called Google. ;)
There is absolutely no correlation between that rendering and the quoted budget/price. That is in large part why the architecture team was removed. As an architect, I personally would have preferred to see Populous or another firm of their like retained to work on this project, but the money wasn’t there, and shame on the Populous team if they could not stay within an established budget (it is fair to consider their design was more about construction feasibility than cost). I do believe they are still attached to the project for internal work, like bathrooms, ADA, and concourse experience.

Edited to add NJCuse97
I think there were several issues that influenced the current design. Light control may have been one, and acoustics may have been another, but the two primary reasons I heard were structural and energy performance. The PTFE is OK but not as good as the rigid at retaining heat or cooling. This blended with Syracuse’s snow load issues exacerbate the structural needs. That’s the quick of it.

I think there are at least 36 arcs up now. Looks like those will got done before the hard shell framing is done.

here is another one.

The fact that we are in the red zone on this project is amazing. It has been one heck of a journey. So glad the decision was made to keep it on campus.

The arcs looks like a total mish mash. They look like they’re going all over the place. It looks like the arcs are almost completed. Maybe a half dozen to go.

The arcs looks like a total mish mash. They look like they’re going all over the place. It looks like the arcs are almost completed. Maybe a half dozen to go.
That is what the design called for. Wish they all went in the same direction. I guess this is a case where function beat form.

Wondering what color the PTFE fabric will be, Hoping it ends up white, which would tie back to the old roof. Hoping the color of the hard shell section of the roof is a little different though. Maybe a light tan. There is such a thing as too much white.

The initial color of the PTFE fabric is not necessarily what the final color will be. With the old dome roof, the fabric started off quite off white; kind of a light tan. After a couple of months in the sun, the sunlight bleached it to a pure white. My understanding is that the new PTFE fabric is quite similar to the fabric used for the old roof, so I am assuming it will probably bleach white, or at less get significantly lighter over time.

Winds of over 15 MPH are forecast for Syracuse today. The cranes are still all down. Pretty sure they called off work today because of the wind. That probably pushes the completion date for the framing of the roof out a day. Looking at the forecast, Monday has winds of 13 MPH forecast and Wednesday is not much better at 12 MPH. Hopefully they can work those days. I think that is around the limit at which they can hang steel.

At the least, the wind is going to be a problem and slow things down on those days.

Looking like the framing might not get completed until the end of the week now.

Last edited:
This thread is a giant effu to Sala and I love it

As the self proclaimed “its a roof’ guy, I will say I check this thread about five times a day. Thanks to those keeping us up to speed.

Listen man, Pete Sala has slept in the Dome during every major winter snowstorm for over 20 years. The slander people have for him is pathetic. It's so stupid. The guy is trying to do the best he can overseeing this project. That's it.
Really, his only crime is not being Mr. Excitement. He seems to be a good manager, albeit kind of dry. I'll take that.