The current state of recruiting in this program | Syracusefan.com

The current state of recruiting in this program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotothehole

Starter
Ok the lets address the elephant in the room. It’s clear that we are not recruiting an ACC level. We play in the best basketball conference in the country. We have top notch facilities, fan base, and coaching. Now that that we lost our last two targets to them, is anyone here not pissed off? Look at Louisville major violations, bad press. That did not stop them, they are back the mix for high level kids. The question is how do we fix it?

Ok the lets address the elephant in the room. It’s clear that we are not recruiting an ACC level. We play in the best basketball conference in the country. We have top notch facilities, fan base, and coaching. Now that that we lost our last two targets to them, is anyone here not pissed off? Look at Louisville major violations, bad press. That did not stop them, they are back the mix for high level kids. The question is how do we fix it?
What player in this past year's class is not ACC level?

Can we wait until we get through at least the early signing period?

It's been lackluster and I don't think anyone is happy, but the 2019 class is solid. If we land IJ, then no one will care about missing AJ.

We were only signing two guys anyway. There’s no room. Our fans don’t pay attention.

The recruiting ranking systems are disproportional geared towards athletic ability over basketball skill. There are several problems with this. A) the late bloomer (physically) who is highly skilled is always rated to low and the kids who is developed physically but not highly skilled is always rated too high. We have missed out on a couple of great athletes and ALL coaches believe that they can teach and develop a kids skill level but they can't coach up athletic ability. Of course this is not true and many times the good but not great athlete who has a highly developed skill level will out perform the great athlete. I really like the skill level of this class in particular Guerrier, Goodine, Girard. The key to the season will be Carey who is an athlete who needs to develop as a basketball player and the center position. I do like JBA attitude and I hope that translates to a physicality on the court that we haven't seeing in a while.

We haven’t had a first team All ACC guy since Christmas.

Since then, we’ve had Battle make a 2nd team and a 3rd team. Gbinije made a second team, and White made a 3rd team.

We always have some players, but it’s been awhile since we had a guy who was usually the best player on the floor(not counting the cupcake games).

Thats not all on recruiting obviously, because some of our guys who may have had the talent to develop into elite college players left for the pros before that ever happened(Lydon and Malachi come to mind).

It’s difficult to get in the head of a recruit. If Andrew Jackson thinks he’s a two man, it’s hard to change his mind. He’s a four man in a two mans body. You can’t blame the coaches for this. Do you lie to him and say he can play the two. We have a solid 2019 class and they should all be here for four years, with the exception of Guerrier. That’s a great change from the past. If we can get Benny Williams, Jackson will be an afterthought. Let’s wait until everything plays out.

Is that not a bit justified? We haven’t been recruiting that well and, ta-da, have been a middle of the pack ACC team since joining the league.

I think it’s fair to say the two are linked.

No it's not. Some day many of you will realize that these kids are making a decision that will impact them for the rest of their lives. Being around my father who sent multiple kids to D1 programs taught me that. It sucks for a minute, but I get over it. As an alumnus, I'd be proud of SU whether or not they were a "middle of the pack" team. To loosely paraphrase Nick Nolte in Blue Chips, I don't want to be one of those people that only jerks off because of the team's success.

It’s difficult to get in the head of a recruit. If Andrew Jackson thinks he’s a two man, it’s hard to change his mind. He’s a four man in a two mans body. You can’t blame the coaches for this. Do you lie to him and say he can play the two. We have a solid 2019 class and they should all be here for four years, with the exception of Guerrier. That’s a great change from the past. If we can get Benny Williams, Jackson will be an afterthought. Let’s wait until everything plays out.
Shocked to hear Old Hickory thinks he could play the 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom