The current state of recruiting in this program | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The current state of recruiting in this program

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not think it is out of line to feel/think our recruiting has dropped since Hop left...lets look at the kids we have missed on for one reason or another over the past 3-4 yrs in no particular order.

Isiah Stewart
Thomas Bryant
Quade Green
Andre Jackson
Jordan Tucker
Simi Shittu
Symir Torrence
Qudus Wahab
Akok Akok
Naz Reid
Tremont Waters
Kevin Huerter

Granted the loss of scholarships in that time did not help things, but the perception or feel that recruiting has not been as good is real

I do not think it is out of line to feel/think our recruiting has dropped since Hop left...lets look at the kids we have missed on for one reason or another over the past 3-4 yrs in no particular order.

Isiah Stewart
Thomas Bryant
Quade Green
Andre Jackson
Jordan Tucker
Simi Shittu
Symir Torrence
Qudus Wahab
Akok Akok
Naz Reid
Tremont Waters
Kevin Huerter

Granted the loss of scholarships in that time did not help things, but the perception or feel that recruiting has not been as good is real
some of those were passes, not misses

and i know it sounds crazy but i think evaluating recruiting classes involves accounting for the guys you got at least as much as the guys you didn't

Last edited:

Isiah Stewart
Thomas Bryant
Quade Green
Andre Jackson
Jordan Tucker
Simi Shittu
Symir Torrence
Qudus Wahab
Akok Akok
Naz Reid
Tremont Waters
Kevin Huerter

Imagine if they all came to SU. It would be hard to imagine not winning a Championship.

Ok the lets address the elephant in the room. It’s clear that we are not recruiting an ACC level. We play in the best basketball conference in the country. We have top notch facilities, fan base, and coaching. Now that that we lost our last two targets to them, is anyone here not pissed off? Look at Louisville major violations, bad press. That did not stop them, they are back the mix for high level kids. The question is how do we fix it?
When you say ACC level are you talking about just Duke and UNC? Louisville has 3 top 100 kids coming in. 4 if you include Nickelberry who is just below 100. We currently have 2 (Goodine and Quincy). I don't want to hear crap about QG not being top 100 he is no questions a top 50 kid in my opinion. I also think we have some kids coming in that would have been ranked higher. Edwards was ranked like 360 6 months ago and is in the mid 100's now. If he had been more well known he would have been in the 80's or 90's I think. He is really going to surprise people with what he can do going forward I think.

Isiah Stewart
Thomas Bryant
Quade Green
Andre Jackson
Jordan Tucker
Simi Shittu
Symir Torrence
Qudus Wahab
Akok Akok
Naz Reid
Tremont Waters
Kevin Huerter

Bryant and Stewart are the ones that hurt, IMO.

Huerter would’ve been nice, but that wasn’t a miss as much as it just couldn’t happen.

Isiah Stewart
Thomas Bryant
Quade Green
Andre Jackson
Jordan Tucker
Simi Shittu
Symir Torrence
Qudus Wahab
Akok Akok
Naz Reid
Tremont Waters
Kevin Huerter

Why are you looking at 4 years of samples when Hopkins only left 2 years ago. The scholarship reductions and all that was going on directly cost us Thomas Bryant and Kevin Huerter. We passed on Tremont Waters. Some of these guys we recruited but I wouldn't say were misses as we were not right there with them (Reid/Shittu). Jordan Tucker/Quade Green/Andre Jackson were all close but we didn't get. That happens. I think it is counter productive to talk about kids we missed on without talking about kids we got. I loved Jalen Carey in HS and think he makes a big step forward this year and we wouldn't have him without Quade not coming. Also now that we don't have Frank Howard on the team we should see at uptick in recruiting since he alone probably cost us 3 or 4 kids.

Bryant and Stewart are the ones that hurt, IMO.

Huerter would’ve been nice, but that wasn’t a miss as much as it just couldn’t happen.
To me it's Bryant alone. He would have filled a big need and we would have kept rolling with him around what we had. I never expected Stewart to stay home based on what people had told me so I wasn't surprised. It actually worked in Hop's favor that he was far away as that is what Stewart wanted.

To me it's Bryant alone. He would have filled a big need and we would have kept rolling with him around what we had. I never expected Stewart to stay home based on what people had told me so I wasn't surprised. It actually worked in Hop's favor that he was far away as that is what Stewart wanted.

Interesting. Once he went to Washington, I assumed he would’ve gone wherever Hop was.

Why are you looking at 4 years of samples when Hopkins only left 2 years ago. The scholarship reductions and all that was going on directly cost us Thomas Bryant and Kevin Huerter. We passed on Tremont Waters. Some of these guys we recruited but I wouldn't say were misses as we were not right there with them (Reid/Shittu). Jordan Tucker/Quade Green/Andre Jackson were all close but we didn't get. That happens. I think it is counter productive to talk about kids we missed on without talking about kids we got. I loved Jalen Carey in HS and think he makes a big step forward this year and we wouldn't have him without Quade not coming. Also now that we don't have Frank Howard on the team we should see at uptick in recruiting since he alone probably cost us 3 or 4 kids.

3 or 4? Really? Wow.

We all know about the Arizona kid. Didn’t know there were more.

When you say ACC level are you talking about just Duke and UNC? Louisville has 3 top 100 kids coming in. 4 if you include Nickelberry who is just below 100. We currently have 2 (Goodine and Quincy). I don't want to hear crap about QG not being top 100 he is no questions a top 50 kid in my opinion. I also think we have some kids coming in that would have been ranked higher. Edwards was ranked like 360 6 months ago and is in the mid 100's now. If he had been more well known he would have been in the 80's or 90's I think. He is really going to surprise people with what he can do going forward I think.
also jba, who was ranked in the top 40 nationally before he got hurt. his fall in the rankings was because he fell off the rating services radar, not because his talent diminished. his upside is huge.

also jba, who was ranked in the top 40 nationally before he got hurt. his fall in the rankings was because he fell off the rating services radar, not because his talent diminished. his upside is huge.

Yeah I agree. He will be good and people will say “see like Hak...a diamond in the rough” when really that’s not true at all

3 or 4? Really? Wow.

We all know about the Arizona kid. Didn’t know there were more.
Brandon Randolph (Arizona kid)
Matt Coleman
Quade Green

There is 3. I feel like I have been told 1 more but I can't remember his name. Randolph is the one I think that is well known but I have been told Coleman and Green by more than 1 person.

Directly attributable to Frank...nah. But let’s just say our guys right now are more like family than before. IJs dad was gushing about the great types of kids we have.
Just to be clear. I'm not saying the kids said I'm not coming here because of Frank Howard but he did not help the situation with his crap. In the end often times you don't know the weight on the different reasons.

Interesting. Once he went to Washington, I assumed he would’ve gone wherever Hop was.
I think it was a situation where Stewart told Hop that I love you and would love to play for you but the reality was Hop was taking over a program that went like 8-22 the year before he got there. So Hop knew if he got some winning going that Stewart would come. The visit he took to Seattle was very casual and it was more of a nice place cool type thing. He knew Seattle was a nice city and UW was a good school academically which mattered more to him then I would have thought.

Very true

Isiah Stewart
Thomas Bryant
Quade Green
Andre Jackson
Jordan Tucker
Simi Shittu
Symir Torrence
Qudus Wahab
Akok Akok
Naz Reid
Tremont Waters
Kevin Huerter

Let's have a list of the kids we missed on when Hop was here. It will be a long list. Lot's of good players.

Let's have a list of the kids we missed on when Hop was here. It will be a long list. Lot's of good players.
Stewart liked Hop, but he wouldn’t have come to SU if Hop was still here. He wanted to get away.

We’re recruitIng well enough to win 18-20 games and have a shot at making the tourney. If we want to challenge for ACC titles and make runs at the Final 4, recruiting is going to need to improve, it starts with surrounding our existing talent with players like IJ. His recruitment will tell us a lot about where we’re headed as JB closes out his career.

Last edited:

Ok lets ask this question when was last time that we had a class ranked in the top 20?

It really is alarming ing the amount of top prospects we are whiffing on and esp the guys from the area. Changes need to be made or we will be a bubble team every yearm

It really is alarming ing the amount of top prospects we are whiffing on and esp the guys from the area. Changes need to be made or we will be a bubble team every yearm

How about the guys we did get this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom