The Decision to Play Shrader Against ND | Syracusefan.com

The Decision to Play Shrader Against ND

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
When Shrader threw the pick on the first play of the game, it was obvious something was very wrong. If you have a bad ankle, push off it when in throwing motion and the ankle is unstable or extremely painful, the ball is going the to go who-knows-where - in this case right to an ND player.

The coaches see Shrader in practice every day. He was clearly injured. Dino even said he came into the game injured.

So, why did they play him?

When Shrader threw the pick on the first play of the game, it was obvious something was very wrong. If you have a bad ankle, push off it when in throwing motion and the ankle is unstable or extremely painful, the ball is going the to go who-knows-where - in this case right to an ND player.

The coaches see Shrader in practice every day. He was clearly injured. Dino even said he came into the game injured.

It looked to me like they were trying some new things on offense (involving Pena more proactively, reducing formations with Hoeh in) and that game plan all went in and was practiced with Shrader. They've been managing some owies with Shrader and probably saw some things suggesting he wouldn't be as limited as he was.

Poor and indecisive coaching, that's why. He couldn't move well enough to defend himself, lucky he didn't get hurt worse.

Yeah, he's definitely not right. He was limping pretty badly last week at the end of the game, and it's obvious they were trying to limit his running this week, and he looked incredibly tentative in the pocket. I get wanting to have him in the game - he's a gamer. I think they made the switch a quarter too late, unfortunately.

Hope he can heal up because when healthy he's a nightmare for opposing defenses. I liked what I saw from Of The River, and I think he's going to be really good here sooner rather than later. If Garrett is still really gimpy this week, I really hope they give Of The River all the 1st team snaps in practice this week. He needs them, though my guess is Garrett didn't take many snaps in practice last week anyways, so it's probably a moot point.

That was the only pass that went where he wanted it too unfortunately. We had a perfect angle for the worst throw ever

I'm not a gambler, but a friend of mine mentioned (before the game), that the line had shifted 3 points in ND's favor yesterday morning, and that he could not bet on the game at around 11:30 am.

It's all conjecture, but it sounds like the cat may have been out of the bag regarding the GS injury.

100% old school meatness

I'm not a gambler, but a friend of mine mentioned (before the game), that the line had shifted 3 points in ND's favor yesterday morning, and that he could not bet on the game at around 11:30 am.

It's all conjecture, but it sounds like the cat may have been out of the bag regarding the GS injury.
That’s true, the line shifted a lot and very quick.
Guessing the wise guys were loading up on the Irish.

It looked to me like they were trying some new things on offense (involving Pena more proactively, reducing formations with Hoeh in) and that game plan all went in and was practiced with Shrader. They've been managing some owies with Shrader and probably saw some things suggesting he wouldn't be as limited as he was.
Agreed but big picture - if your game plan involves less Shrader running, then it’s a bad fit for him. Running is what he’s good at. If he can’t run, get him out of there.

He was moving like a 90 year old in trying to tackle the guy who got the pick 6.

Agreed but big picture - if your game plan involves less Shrader running, then it’s a bad fit for him. Running is what he’s good at. If he can’t run, get him out of there.

He was moving like a 90 year old in trying to tackle the guy who got the pick 6.
I'm not defending the decision. Just proposing some reasons why they gave him the shot to start.

I'm not defending the decision. Just proposing some reasons why they gave him the shot to start.
I wish they’d thought better of it ahead of time, and I wish they’d recognized the mistake after 7 seconds instead of 2 quarters. With ND missing a FG and our defense fighting their butts off to keep ND out of the end zone, with competent offensive play(like we got in the second half), we probably would’ve been winning at halftime. Trying to dig out of a hole against a team that can run the ball and control the clock is not easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom