The DeVito catharsis thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The DeVito catharsis thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was fine in ‘18 because when he went in, no one had any real film on him and his tendencies.

Div 1 coaches are smart and watch a TON of film and figured him out pretty quickly.

The writing was really on the wall in that Notre Dame game when he came in for a hurt Eric Dungey.
Take a look again at the 2019 numbers. Actually pretty good. I would sign up for a 63% completion percentage, 240 ypg and an almost 4 to 1 TD to Int ratio in a heartbeat

Take a look again at the 2019 numbers. Actually pretty good. I would sign up for a 63% completion percentage, 240 ypg and an almost 4 to 1 TD to Int ratio in a heartbeat
Tyrod Taylor like, minus the rushing.

His numbers were always good

But that doesn’t tell the whole story…….
I’m an analyst by nature. It all starts with data.

And sports are all about the numbers. 2019 team averaged just a tick under 30 ppg. Again, I would sign up for that in a heartbeat.

I am all team Shrader, believe me. But revisionist history should not discount that the 2019 year was far from a disaster offensively.

He was fine before the 2019 line let him get absolutely destroyed 24/7. The kid couldn’t even get 2 seconds to get a pass off before the d-line was on top of him. 2020 was a product of PTSD

He was never "fine." He had big time arm talent, but a poor feel for the game.

In shorts, in drills -- he looked like an NFL prospect, because he had a beautiful arm and terrific mechanics.

When the pass rush got live, and he had to worry about getting hit, his lack of game instincts negated the arm talent.

I’m an analyst by nature. It all starts with data.

And sports are all about the numbers. 2019 team averaged just a tick under 30 ppg. Again, I would sign up for that in a heartbeat.

I am all team Shrader, believe me. But revisionist history should not discount that the 2019 year was far from a disaster offensively.

If I remember correctly in 2019 Tommy had an amazing ability to really pad his numbers late in games when we were very much out of the game and the 2nd team defenses came in and the defenses were also playing soft zones.

I’m not sure if there is a stat page out there that breaks it down by quarter but I would be interested to see what it was.

Tommy has one of the best arms that we had seen in a hot minute and I’ll never discount that. Tommy just struggles to have good football IQ….. throwing away on 4th down etc.

Those kind of things led Tommy to have “good” numbers. But he also played, in my opinion, entirely too safe.

We all had high hopes for him, maybe unrealistic ones thinking we wouldn’t miss a beat when ED graduated and TD took the reigns.

Unfortunately it didn’t work out and he was smart to look for greener pastures which he appears to have found.

As fans we had hoped for more, his father added fuel to an ever growing fire and at the end of the day we thank him for trying and wish him luck.

I don’t think it is entirely fair to expect him to come in and play well against a playoff team as a freshman but ya know, to each their own.
He was a redshirt freshman who had received first team reps at various times during the preseason and during the season and it was the seventh game of the season he had played in. It’s not that he didn’t play well, it’s how lost he looked while playing.

Tommy's best game might have been coming off the bench vs UNC and doing things we never see the home team do in the Dome. He also did win the FSU game that year.

I agree with the statement that the real TD was revealed in the ND in 2018. The offense could not do anything in that game. Admittedly, the offense was doing nothing with ED as QB as well. You can look at TD's career stats and say they are pretty good but the team had no consistent offense, couldn't reliably move the chains, couldn't even get in FG range for Szymt to kick some FGs. The issue with TD was, once he left the pocket, the play was over. Full stop. He either threw it away, got sacked, or ran out of bounds. Of course he had that terrible INT at Maryland. He could not make passing plays on the move at all.

It's too bad Tommy left midseason. Shrader was playing hurt after the VaTech game and Tommy might have played a lot in those later games. That said, he left here with his dignity and did not burn bridges, IMHO.

Illinois has the prototypical Bret Bielema BIG POWERFUL OFFENSIVE LINE. Realize this Illinois team won a trudging low scoring game at Penn State last year. This will be a very different OL than Tommy ever had here. I am curious to see how Tommy does this year. Maybe we'll find out if the problem was coaching or was it Tommy?

Tommy's best game might have been coming off the bench vs UNC and doing things we never see the home team do in the Dome. He also did win the FSU game that year.

I agree with the statement that the real TD was revealed in the ND in 2018. The offense could not do anything in that game. Admittedly, the offense was doing nothing with ED as QB as well. You can look at TD's career stats and say they are pretty good but the team had no consistent offense, couldn't reliably move the chains, couldn't even get in FG range for Szymt to kick some FGs. The issue with TD was, once he left the pocket, the play was over. Full stop. He either threw it away, got sacked, or ran out of bounds. Of course he had that terrible INT at Maryland. He could not make passing plays on the move at all.

It's too bad Tommy left midseason. Shrader was playing hurt after the VaTech game and Tommy might have played a lot in those later games. That said, he left here with his dignity and did not burn bridges, IMHO.

Illinois has the prototypical Bret Bielema BIG POWERFUL OFFENSIVE LINE. Realize this Illinois team won a trudging low scoring game at Penn State last year. This will be a very different OL than Tommy ever had here. I am curious to see how Tommy does this year. Maybe we'll find out if the problem was coaching or was it Tommy?
This is all pretty much spot on except he did air a little dirty laundry on the way out.

This is all pretty much spot on except he did air a little dirty laundry on the way out.

What's the dirty laundry? I personally hope he has an awful year. Why? He quit on his team mid year. If he would've stayed til the end, I'd wish him well. People may disagree, and list reasons why I'm wrong. That's fine. You finish out the season. Had zero bearing on his eligiblity. You're the captain and did a pretty crappy job on the field. You don't quit because you're playing like s***

The only problem I have with him is how he left. I understand the reasons he stated but what about the example that was set by the QB’s who sat behind you at SU? They didn’t pack up their toys and leave in mid-season; they worked hard to prepare themselves to help the team if the guy in front of them faltered. That’s what being a “team player” is all about.

There are guys who make those around them better. DeVito was always a guy who needed those around him to be really good in order for him to look good.

He apparently has his SU degree so I hope that serves him well in his post-football career.

People forget in 2019 we lost at NC State in hurricane slop on some questionable calls and then followed up with a tough home loss against Pitt, again with a terrible fumble call.

Those were two games that we *should have won.

Again - we didn't, but it was closer to 7-5 than people remember

2020 was a team in disarray, a locker room mess? Who knows the real story.

Last year we bounced back and some questionable coaching and officiating probably cost us two or three games.

We are close, man.

People forget in 2019 we lost at NC State in hurricane slop on some questionable calls and then followed up with a tough home loss against Pitt, again with a terrible fumble call.

Those were two games that we *should have won.

Again - we didn't, but it was closer to 7-5 than people remember

2020 was a team in disarray, a locker room mess? Who knows the real story.

Last year we bounced back and some questionable coaching and officiating probably cost us two or three games.

We are close, man.
I think we’re going to be very competitive this year. I can’t wait for Louisville.

I think this team can punch with just about anyone on the schedule.

I think we’re going to be very competitive this year. I can’t wait for Louisville.

I think this team can punch with just about anyone on the schedule.
Agreed. The record may not show it, the fans may not appreciate it, but I don't think there will be any blowout losses this year

Most of those stats came with us down where the D wasn't coming after him. Also he put up huge numbers vs WMU and Holy Cross.

Down 8+ points
102-151 67.5% 1139 yards 7 TDs 2 INTs

Down 15+ points
58-83 69.9% 627 yards 5 TDs 0 INTs

2nd half of games
92-136 67.6% 1065 yards 10 TDS 2 INTs

WMU/Holy Cross
46-66 69.7% 556 yards 8 TDs 1 INT

Last edited:
Now that DeVito has been named QB1 at Illinois, I figured it would be good to have a place where people can work out whatever stuff they need to work out re: DeVito.

Think he kinda got a raw deal here? This is your place.

Feel like he has some consistent underperformance issues and you want to bring them up again? Welcome, this is the place.

Morbidly curious how he performs and just want to keep tabs casually? Yeah, you can do that here too.
I would never wish bad on any one that wore SU jersey. Hope he does well.

Now that DeVito has been named QB1 at Illinois, I figured it would be good to have a place where people can work out whatever stuff they need to work out re: DeVito.

Think he kinda got a raw deal here? This is your place.

Feel like he has some consistent underperformance issues and you want to bring them up again? Welcome, this is the place.

Morbidly curious how he performs and just want to keep tabs casually? Yeah, you can do that here too.
TD had always been great vs air. He’s been coached that way his entire life.

He was never "fine." He had big time arm talent, but a poor feel for the game.

In shorts, in drills -- he looked like an NFL prospect, because he had a beautiful arm and terrific mechanics.

When the pass rush got live, and he had to worry about getting hit, his lack of game instincts negated the arm talent.
I agree he struggled with game sense, but I think the lack of an o-line with any shred of talent is what caused a lot of those issues. In 2019 syracuse had arguably the second worst line in the country ahead of only Florida State, and TD was getting obliterated every other snap. It’s hard to keep your mental clock right when you’re getting 2.5 seconds at most. He was obviously not a perfect player, but I think he was far better then what the team allowed him to show after the 18 season.

Yes i did meet him as a freshman.. its just the vibe i got from him and thats just my opinion.. I really hope he does awesome and hopefully can get to the next level..!!!

I actually got to meet Tommy for an extended period of time. He was over at my friends house, spent about 45 mins with him. He is a good dude (a little quiet) but nice. Didn’t get any “vibes” that he was cocky or arrogant... and I know cocky and arrogant. I went to state school and experienced my fair share of frat parties. Super nice and genuine guy. I liked him a lot and will be rooting for him.

Side note, my friend is also buddies with Dungey, who I also got to meet. Same vibe, different tone. Eric could have told me a story about how he liked to watch paint dry and I would have been excited and engaged listening to it.

My biggest complaint about Tommy is that he never seemed like a leader. The final nail for me was him sitting to another player who was flipping off the camera. A leader would have been seen on camera dressing down a player doing that instead of wishing he could join in. Syracuse has seemed lost without any Dungey Franklin types. IMO that will be the biggest change from mid season to this year. We have some leaders out there now.

I actually think when Tommy came into the ND game, his first series was great. He threw a beautiful deep ball right off the bat that was reminiscent of the UNC throw. He was being told to go back to a formula. The WR didn’t make the catch. Then another was dropped in the middle. ND had a great D that year, especially in the middle. After the WRs dropped the first series, Clark Lea dialed it up (they were a SS pressure defense) and it was over. He hits on one of those passes in that first series, and maybe it keeps the pressure at bay. We all know what came after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.