The DeVito catharsis thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The DeVito catharsis thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling this thread will not end well for Dino and Co.

I’ll be back in Oct…

That would just mean that his dad is bad at picking schools.

Some QBs do better at a school that has a coach known for a big OL and a run first mentality.

Some schools do better with a QB that as likely to run as he is to throw.

anchorman-science.gif

Tommy is an outstanding passer, but was not a consistently good quarterback here. His numbers for 2019, playing for a competent OC with a decent OLine and a couple of quality playmakers at WR were actually quite good. 63% completion percentage, nearly 2400 yds in 10+ games and 19 TDs with 5 interceptions.
Gilbert’s predisposition to go max protect and send no more than 3 receivers out in the pattern may have been necessary, but severely limited production.
And I know Dino wanted to avoid any semblance of a QB controversy, but if DeVito saw some spot action against FSU, Wake or especially Clemson when Shrader struggled throwing the ball it’s not inconceivable that we might have pulled one of those games out and been bowling.

So this means he beat out Sitkowski head to head? I wonder how the Rutgers folks feel about that.

If TD learns to use the check downs or short patterns rather that try to wait for the deep route to come open and throw the home run ball, he’ll do much better. I think he had a tendency to lock in on the deep route, and was coached and encouraged to do so, as it was the counter to all the inside runs. The pass or threat of the pass would soften the pressure and un-crowd the box.

I was pro Tommy, but I agree with some that this immobility and sack propensity was something that could be seen in is senior year of HS.

I get we didn’t have the best Offensive line. But this stat is absurd. That also has a lot to do with the player himself. Couldn’t read the field fast enough. Interested to see how he does at Illinois. Unfortunately if he finds success, it has a lot to say about our head coach imo.

Last year with the same bad and often injured OL, Shrader’s sack/drop back rate was 10.7%. Including Miss St it was 9.2%

Last year with the same bad and often injured OL, Shrader’s sack/drop back rate was 10.7%. Including Miss St it was 9.2%
So then that stat which was tweeted out was about devito and shrader, the only 2 players with a sack rate over 9%?

And you got that from meeting and interacting with him when? Could not be further from the truth.
Yes i did meet him as a freshman.. its just the vibe i got from him and thats just my opinion.. I really hope he does awesome and hopefully can get to the next level..!!!
And you got that from meeting and interacting with him when? Could not be further from the tru

So this means he beat out Sitkowski head to head? I wonder how the Rutgers folks feel about that.

If TD learns to use the check downs or short patterns rather that try to wait for the deep route to come open and throw the home run ball, he’ll do much better. I think he had a tendency to lock in on the deep route, and was coached and encouraged to do so, as it was the counter to all the inside runs. The pass or threat of the pass would soften the pressure and un-crowd the box.

I was pro Tommy, but I agree with some that this immobility and sack propensity was something that could be seen in is senior year of HS.
If you look up overrated in the dictionary there is a big headshot of Artur next to it. Beyond overrated.

The funny thing about him was that he was an early verbal to Miami, which made him leap up the recruiting ranking charts, but he regressed, Miami dropped him, and then he became the greatest thing since sliced bread for Rutgers fans when he verballed there because he was still overrated by the services due to the projection of him as a Sophomore.

Yes i did meet him as a freshman.. its just the vibe i got from him and thats just my opinion.. I really hope he does awesome and hopefully can get to the next level..!!!
I met and talked with Tommy on several occasion. Always struck me as very respectful. Got his interpersonal skills from his mom who is a sweetheart

There's no reason for any ill will towards Tommy or any reason not to wish him the best.

It's impressive that he twice won starting jobs at Power 5 schools. He sure could pass. But the one play I think of when I think of Tommy, (and I don't recall which game it was in but I think it was 2019), it was third down and he had to scramble. He went toward the sideline and was able to get within a yard of the marker untouched. He could have made it if he put his shoulder down but he just trotted out of bounds a yard short. We punted and we lost.

Last edited:
Tommy is an outstanding passer, but was not a consistently good quarterback here. His numbers for 2019, playing for a competent OC with a decent OLine and a couple of quality playmakers at WR were actually quite good. 63% completion percentage, nearly 2400 yds in 10+ games and 19 TDs with 5 interceptions.
Gilbert’s predisposition to go max protect and send no more than 3 receivers out in the pattern may have been necessary, but severely limited production.
And I know Dino wanted to avoid any semblance of a QB controversy, but if DeVito saw some spot action against FSU, Wake or especially Clemson when Shrader struggled throwing the ball it’s not inconceivable that we might have pulled one of those games out and been bowling.

Shrader didn't do badly in those games. His passing problems got bad with the BC game.

But yes, I wish Tommy had stayed on. Things can turn around and often on one play.

DeVito -- in a word -- stunk.

Glad we upgraded. We have three QBs on the roster who are better than TD right now.

Best of luck at Illinois, hope he kills it there, but wasn't sad to see him go and won't lose any sleep about him playing elsewhere.
He was fine before the 2019 line let him get absolutely destroyed 24/7. The kid couldn’t even get 2 seconds to get a pass off before the d-line was on top of him. 2020 was a product of PTSD

He was fine before the 2019 line let him get absolutely destroyed 24/7. The kid couldn’t even get 2 seconds to get a pass off before the d-line was on top of him. 2020 was a product of PTSD

He was fine in ‘18 because when he went in, no one had any real film on him and his tendencies.

Div 1 coaches are smart and watch a TON of film and figured him out pretty quickly.

The writing was really on the wall in that Notre Dame game when he came in for a hurt Eric Dungey.

He was fine in ‘18 because when he went in, no one had any real film on him and his tendencies.

Div 1 coaches are smart and watch a TON of film and figured him out pretty quickly.

The writing was really on the wall in that Notre Dame game when he came in for a hurt Eric Dungey.
I don’t think it is entirely fair to expect him to come in and play well against a playoff team as a freshman but ya know, to each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.