The difference between 5-2 and 0-4 | Syracusefan.com

The difference between 5-2 and 0-4

The run defense.

Your computer didn't let you finish.

The run defense.

The mistakes on offense.

The special teams breakdowns that are completely killing field position.

Take your pick, all 3 phases are failing. But yes, run defense has completely fallen apart. Although, the Louisville game that started this slide wasn't much of a run defense failure until the 4th quarter when it was already clear our offense wasn't going to find the end zone anyway. Louisville only had 60 yards rushing through the first 3 quarters when they had built what seemed like an unsurmountable 2 TD lead.

The run defense.
i love these posts.

instead of comparing each unit to the rest of the country, let's just pick one thing, doesn't matter what, and assert that if it improved enough, we'd win. the key to this approach is to pretend that you couldn't do this exercise with every aspect of the game.

we're 43rd in rushing defense by the way

Could part of it be due to the fact that we're not playing Rhode Island and Tulane?

Could part of it be due to the fact that we're not playing Rhode Island and Tulane?
our rushing defense is 36th against BCS AQ

80th in pass defense against bcs aq fwiw (53rd overall)

You're the guy with the yardage fetish.

5-2, 99 yds per game given up on the ground,

0-4, 192

Wins, 80, 112, 138, 116, 70

Losses, 175, 5, 145, 198, 236, 189

Nope no correlation there.

Pick one thing? The guy who judges everything by offense total yardage is complaining about picking on one thing.

We have athletes running an offense that they can't execute.

When was the last time we completed a pass of 30-50 yeards?

We have athletes running an offense that they can't execute.

When was the last time we completed a pass of 30-50 yeards?

Alec Lemon in the USF game? I know what you're saying though.

FWIW I thought Nassib has West deep vs Cinci. Pass looked gorgeous, West just didn't have the wheels to get under it.

Agree with your initial point though, we don't have a team that can run this offense. Everything we do is geared to get into a 3rd and short situation... and then we fall apart on 3rd down.

i love these posts.

instead of comparing each unit to the rest of the country, let's just pick one thing, doesn't matter what, and assert that if it improved enough, we'd win. the key to this approach is to pretend that you couldn't do this exercise with every aspect of the game.

we're 43rd in rushing defense by the way

Let's look at your fixation.

5-2, 349

0-4, 347

Wins, 299, 354, 366, 356, 443

Losses, 331, 295, 246, 365, 405, 373

Yep, that's the key.

You're the guy with the yardage fetish.

5-2, 99 yds per game given up on the ground,

0-4, 192

Wins, 80, 112, 138, 116, 70

Losses, 175, 5, 145, 198, 236, 189

Nope no correlation there.

Pick one thing? The guy who judges everything by offense total yardage is complaining about picking on one thing.
In our losses, we gain less than in games we win.
In our wins, we give up more than in games we lose.

a team that scores 16 a game in their losses loses because of run defense. ooook

you edited your post before i responded. (oops sorry it's a different post) Just because the offense sucks in wins and losses, doesn't mean that the defense is solely to blame for losses. just because you expect consistently sh!tty offense doesn't mean that you disregard consistently sh!tty offenses.

The run defense has been bad lately, but the offense has been bad consistently all season. If you can't stop them on D, you better beat them in a shootout. We don't have the ability to do that though.

We average 364 yards in our wins. That's good for 85th in the country if that was our overall average

This offense sucks in wins and losses.

The run defense.

It's a big part of it. Tackling overall has been atrocious. We've seen alot of missed first tackles this year but what's been vacant the last few games is 5 other guys getting into the play to clean it up.

The run defense.

Everyone in the world knew that to succeed is year, a veteran offensive unit was going to need to pull the team up a la Wake Forrest like games. The defense lost a lot and was young.

The O has regressed. Fair to say? Chomping up yards when the opponent is up big in the four creates artificial results that have no bearing on outcome. Except for bullshit rankings that don't matter. Ws and Ls are what matter.

Specials have been lackluster at best. Assuming we will see a coaching change here.

Defense has shown flashes of brilliance, Rutgirls and WVa, but like the team as a whole, it is a unit that hasn't consistently put up strong 60-minute games.

It's nice to be contrarian but this why coaches watch film and ultimate analysis is based n what one sees not what the computer spits out. We have a losing streak, as Chip states, for reasons that include run D but are systemic on the two other units as well.

So I assume we just fix the run defense and go 10-2 next year, right? That'll do it?

The run defense.

Um how about the worst special teams in D1-A or the horrific playcalling and complete lack of any other WR's outside of Lemon and Provo. Horrific LB core etc etc

Run defense. Pass defense. Special teams. Inability to make big plays on offense. Average offensive line. Unable to finish consistently in the red zone.

SU has a number of issues.

But I still think it comes down to a lack of talent right now.

Teams that are successful, usually have 2-3 NFL players and a number of free agent types.

How many do we have this year? Or next year? Or waiting in the wings?

Can we just call them "young and inexperienced"? It would make me feel better.

Unfortunately the only real young one is Davis who is also the worst. I am a huge Conley Fan but man hes done a horrible job this year.

So I assume we just fix the run defense and go 10-2 next year, right? That'll do it?

Pointing out what changed between the first part of the year and the losing streak.
In our losses, we gain less than in games we win.
In our wins, we give up more than in games we lose.

a team that scores 16 a game in their losses loses because of run defense. ooook

you edited your post before i responded. (oops sorry it's a different post) Just because the offense sucks in wins and losses, doesn't mean that the defense is solely to blame for losses. just because you expect consistently sh!tty offense doesn't mean that you disregard consistently sh!tty offenses.

My, aren't you sensitive. All I did was point out the area of performance that changed between 5-2 and 0-4 and you throw a fit. Sorry it doesn't fit into your paradigm.

Anywhere in the post did I say any other areas didn't need work. The offense has played about the same in wins and losses all year. The pass defense has been weak. Special teams haven't tilted the field all year. They all need improvement. Not exactly news.

Pointing out what changed between the first part of the year and the losing streak.

Well, that's not entirely true, right? I mean we scored 29.9 points per game when we were going 5-2, and we've scored 15.3 points per game going 0-4.

That's a fairly significant change, no?

In fact, we score 35.2 ppg when we win, and score 15.7 ppg when we lose. So scoring more might help the cause slightly more than having a better run D, methinks.

Well, that's not entirely true, right? I mean we scored 29.9 points per game when we were going 5-2, and we've scored 15.3 points per game going 0-4.

That's a fairly significant change, no?

In fact, we score 35.2 ppg when we win, and score 15.7 ppg when we lose. So scoring more might help the cause slightly more than having a better run D, methinks.
we were lucky. the gap between our ppg in wins and losses is way bigger than our gap in yards.

our yardage in wins would work out to 85th in the country and our points in wins would be 21st in the country

over enough games, that weirdness will go away. over time, if you can't move the ball, you're not going to score

go thinks i'm sensitive just because i think his hit and run original post is stupid

we were lucky. the gap between our ppg in wins and losses is way bigger than our gap in yards.

our yardage in wins would work out to 85th in the country and our points in wins would be 21st in the country

over enough games, that weirdness will go away. over time, if you can't move the ball, you're not going to score

go thinks i'm sensitive just because i think his hit and run original post is stupid

That's true, I'm just saying that our rushing yardage allowed is not the "only" stat that's different between 5-2 and 0-4.

The problems are everywhere the past 4 weeks, offense, defense, specials, execution, scheme, coaching, preparation, attitude, penalties. Too many issues to even sort of and that is wht marrone looks like a wooped pup everytime he speaks. The team is done for the year and has been since UCONN at least. To try and pinpoint is impossible. Does the run D stink? sure it does but so does everything else

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom