The Dino Babers Show - before Albany | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Dino Babers Show - before Albany

What disappointed me was that he conceded that we can't up his EIU and BG numbers here. I didn't really expect 53 or 46 TD passes but I tho9ught we could get to 30 with "Orange is the New Fast" and the idea conditions of the Dome. I thought that style would enable us to recruit well for the passing game. Instead our ceiling seems to be a QB who threw for 18TDs but -hey! He ran for 15 more!

I agree with you that 30 passing touchdowns should be possible with the Dome and this offensive philosophy. But if we win 10 games and still score 40 points/game, I'll take 20-25.

Welp....if you don't like the Engine that could or ISIS...I now give you punter noise interference. Are you freaking kidding me? I go to games. I know for a fact that the crowd is not pumped up and making noise after we have to concede a freaking punt. This is about a BS excuse as I've ever heard. You can hear a pin drop when we're punting. I call BS Dino

And now he's basically saying that he can't recruit in the top half of the ACC.

Game over.

What disappointed me was that he conceded that we can't up his EIU and BG numbers here. I didn't really expect 53 or 46 TD passes but I thought we could get to 30 with "Orange is the New Fast" and the idea conditions of the Dome. I thought that style would enable us to recruit well for the passing game. Instead our ceiling seems to be a QB who threw for 18TDs but -hey! He ran for 15 more!
I think it was an honest but hard truth to hear. It shines a light on the talent disparity in a way that while depressing, is a glimpse at reality coaching here.

The truth is that at the G5 level the talent disparity is less wide. There’s more parity so good coaching or schemes rise to the top. When you take that sane coach and scheme and apply it with our low-end P5 talent vs the very top (Clemson) it’s really evident.

Now, we *should* be more competitive with our peers (PITT/BC/Wake/NC State) every year and that is where I get the most PO’d. I truly believe if we had a better backup QB most of Dino’s years we win more and he’s not on the hot seat.

But Bowling Green numbers with our talent and his offense isn’t possible.

Welp...if you don't like the Engine that could or ISIS...I now give you punter noise interference. Are you freaking kidding me? I go to games. I know for a fact that the crowd is not pumped up and making noise after we have to concede a freaking punt. This is about a BS excuse as I've ever heard. You can hear a pin drop when we're punting. I call BS Dino

And now he's basically saying that he can't recruit in the top half of the ACC.

Game over.
Syracuse can’t compete with the top half of the ACC in recruiting. It won’t matter the HC.

We’ll need to get creative, develop like Wake, cheat like UNC, something

I think it was an honest but hard truth to hear. It shines a light on the talent disparity in a way that while depressing, is a glimpse at reality coaching here.

The truth is that at the G5 level the talent disparity is less wide. There’s more parity so good coaching or schemes rise to the top. When you take that sane coach and scheme and apply it with our low-end P5 talent vs the very top (Clemson) it’s really evident.

Now, we *should* be more competitive with our peers (PITT/BC/Wake/NC State) every year and that is where I get the most PO’d. I truly believe if we had a better backup QB most of Dino’s years we win more and he’s not on the hot seat.

But Bowling Green numbers with our talent and his offense isn’t possible.
Dino can't win with his 1st string QB so the backup doesn't mean jack.

As for recruiting decent OL to Cuse I call BS too. P got them, Marrone got them and didn't evne like recruiting. Grob's recruiting was smoke and mirrors and Shafer wasn't given enough time to develop his own recruits so Idk but Dino's OL recruiting is only slightly better than Gerg's at this point. I don't care about paper rankings either. I'm talking ability to run the ball and have 3 seconds to throw and that's not impossible. I've seen it before and will see it again, just not from our current HC.

I've argued that we can't recruit the top end playmakers however I disagree that we can't find some guys to push people around. Hate to say it to Dino but P's Big East wasn't too far off talent wise from what we face in the majority of the ACC. We had Miami, VTech, Pitt, BC, etc.

So we can't recruit with Pitt, NC State, UVA, and BC? Don't buy it, you need a better spiel.
They are not typically in the top half of the ACC in recruiting.

They are not typically in the top half of the ACC in recruiting.
There are 14 teams in the ACC, top half means 7 or higher.

Currently in 2021: #5 Pitt, #6 UVA, #7 NC State
2020: 5th Gerogia Tech, 6th UL, 7th NC State

Did you even look first? I will rephrase top half to middle of the pack i.e. 5th-8th or so if that makes you happy. Dino can't recruit. You can whitewash it all you want, we've done better and can do better.

Last edited:
What disappointed me was that he conceded that we can't up his EIU and BG numbers here. I didn't really expect 53 or 46 TD passes but I thought we could get to 30 with "Orange is the New Fast" and the idea conditions of the Dome. I thought that style would enable us to recruit well for the passing game. Instead our ceiling seems to be a QB who threw for 18TDs but -hey! He ran for 15 more!
Agreed

And he seems to lament the fact of all the NFL talent he had on those teams (at OL, WR).

In year six does he realize it’s his job to get the talent here? (and play the more talented players not the players who know the system the best)

If we don’t have talent, or that talent isn’t getting on the field, it’s largely on him.

We've turned into "Orange is the New Place where you can't recruit so we'll manage games and hopefully win some".

Dino is like the overpaid consultant who just turned in his report. But at least we know.

There are 14 teams in the ACC, top half means 7 or higher.

Currently in 2021: #5 Pitt, #6 UVA, #7 NC State
2020: 5th Gerogia Tech, 6th UL, 7th NC State

Did you even look first? I will rephrase top half to middle of the pack i.e. 5th-8th or so if that makes you happy. Dino can't recruit. You can whitewash it all you want, we've done better and can do better.
“Typically” meant most years

No I didn’t look

go through available data and you’ll see we’ve not done better since early Gerg. They didn’t really keep track during P, but that was 20 years ago and things have changed that have changed our ceiling. Go ahead and look into it.

We've turned into "Orange is the New Place where you can't recruit so we'll manage games and hopefully win some".

Dino is like the overpaid consultant who just turned in his report. But at least we know.
I actually do think his lack of confidence is what’s weighing the team down. You gotta believe you can do it to be a leader of a team with less talent.

i'm sure that the coaches doing the show appreciate the fact that your questions are so long and convoluted they have time to finish their soup or salad while they listen. very considerate. bon appetite.

I actually do think his lack of confidence is what’s weighing the team down. You gotta believe you can do it to be a leader of a team with less talent.

He used to be that way. Maybe this job has broken him, like it did with a couple of his predecessors.

Allow me to re-insert the first line of of my first question into the conversation:

"Coach, I really like the defense you and Coach White have put together. It shows you can recruit well and choose your assistants well."

The purpose of that statement was to suggest that we ought to be able to do the same thing on offense.

Would love to throw for 25 touchdown passes total at least.

what i heard at one point,was that as a private school, we cannot get good offensive linemen. that to me is an excuse from dino that he cannot recruit. if that is his mindset he should leave. i wonder is baylor,northwestern, stanford,boston college etc feel the same way
i still feel he is in over his head in the acc.
yeah, not a fan of that comment at all. I remember seeing Shafer on ESPN before the 2015 season, and when asked about recruiting he said something to the effect of "we know who we are" and he meant it as we know we can't recruit with the big boys. didn't like what Shafer said, don't like what Dino said. we can bring in kids who are good enough, if developed, to be quality ACC linemen. you can't do that? leave.

I think in recruiting we have an advantage in our excellent communication school that we really don't take advantage of at all. We need to find a way to utilize that tool more in our recruiting whatever that might be (interviews, videos, segments) With that school at our doorstep we should be one of the most commercialized teams out there but we aren't. We have to take advantage of our resources and I don't think we do a good enough job there.
Yes, you would think a lot of athletes, football players included, might be interested in careers in broadcasting or in Sports Management. I don't know, I kind of remember us being pretty good in those areas. That's why the "but but Northwestern and Duke have better academics" excuse bugs me. overall? yes, they do. in two majors that should be quite appealing to athletes? nope

C’mon.

Young players new to a home crowd freaking out vs needing the 12th man when the other team has the ball. Not inconsistent at all.

People are starting to be over the top in their criticism. Lame stuff.

This x1000.

Regarding the WRs it’s time to go with the guys who can win battles but make mistakes.

and now he’s on the hook to throw the ball to the tight ends.
Unfortunately, he said basically the same thing during this year's first show

#23 coach. his name is james "mookie" mungro.

4b9292c5-0e55-48c4-9b6b-653c2989bb68-large16x9_mungro.PNG

apparently dino remembers the dolphins hook and lateral play but not the mook.
( over 5 yds per carry (6.9 as a jr.) and has a superbwl ring.)

Last edited:
I think in recruiting we have an advantage in our excellent communication school that we really don't take advantage of at all. We need to find a way to utilize that tool more in our recruiting whatever that might be (interviews, videos, segments) With that school at our doorstep we should be one of the most commercialized teams out there but we aren't. We have to take advantage of our resources and I don't think we do a good enough job there.
There’s only so many slots for Newhouse. SU is not going to allow football players to take slots for other students who may be more qualified. I’m sure we have a few players in the communication school, but I bet there’s fewer than 6-7.

"Young receivers have to learn the offense." What offense?
Those big flash cards on the sidelines I guess counts as an offense

No that’s you underestimating our lot in recruiting.

Baylor is in Texas. Northwestern gets mid west talent where OL are easier to come by, Stanford is a top tier education so you can recruit nationally and BC has a direct line to catholic schools and is in a big city.

I think Marrone did the bet job with the talent we had and they were still struggling half the time.
Exactly, the four schools mentioned are not even close to par programs. NW and Stanford are literally two of the top universities in the world, BC is prestigious Catholic and in Boston and Baylor is BIG12 in Texas. How are they even remotely similar to this job I don't think I will ever know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom