The Dino Babers Show - before Wake Forest | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Dino Babers Show - before Wake Forest

For those saying CDRW should have called a timeout, there goes that. I can't believe I actually could feel worse after he explained the "reasoning".

you had to have known you were going to right? We should start trying to predict his answers for things like this. They're mostly nutz.

But didn't we call a TO 30 secs earlier? Why call a TO then but not later? IMO neither TO should have been called, but it makes zero sense to call one TO. Either use both or neither.

He said he called a timeout then because Allen was loopy. Did you read the post ?

To preserve a shut out I used to call timeout when the back ups were getting driven on and put the starters back in. I can’t believe I used to do that. Now I let back ups go through the process and learn from the results. Maybe that’s what Dino was thinking. I don’t know.
I feel like defense and offense are different.

Like, you give up the score, you still win, shut out doesn't matter a ton.

But if you're losing you'd want the score even if you're not going to win, so it matters more?

I don't know. From the fan seat though Dino going with the life lesson thing on this... like, it's just not that deep.

At the very least it doesn't build a lot of confidence in the fan base.

Everyone has different philosophies I suppose but I think his answer is ridiculous. I want my backups to score whether we're up big or losing big. I want them to get a taste and maybe it's their first, maybe it's quite meaningful for them. I want them to feel success so it gets them hungry for more. My backup who comes in late and gets his first, that's big, that means something to him and to the team.

He just wanted to get out of there and it was obvious. He should say as much, he wasn't thinking about life lessons and crap. He probably didn't even know he had a timeout left.

He said he called a timeout then because Allen was loopy. Did you read the post ?

No I didn't read the post. Still makes no sense. If he is hurt there will be an injury TO. Also if he was loopy (Dino could see that from the opposite sideline when Allen got up and showed no signs?), why put him back in? You don't need a TO to make a sub. Also isn't that irresponsible?

No I didn't read the post. Still makes no sense. If he is hurt there will be an injury TO. Also if he was loopy (Dino could see that from the opposite sideline when Allen got up and showed no signs?), why put him back in? You don't need a TO to make a sub. Also isn't that irresponsible?

there wasn't going to be an injury timeout because Allen didn't go to the ground. Whether he's telling the truth or not of the situation I don't know but I'm not going to beat him up over his view of that situation. SWC posted what he said of it.

I really wished they had scored at the end but I get what Dino is saying. As fans we dont like it. As coaches, Its part of building the culture and the younger players in the program. You dont get life lines. If you want to score, get it in the endzone when you have a chance. Same way I feel when the back up defense gives up a a late TD to spoil the shut out.
unless im wrong they had a chance but Dino didnt allow it.

unless im wrong they had a chance but Dino didnt allow it.
What do you mean by didnt allow it? Meaning you think DIno didnt want them to score? What will be his reasoning for that?

Dino is an odd guy in general, and I think that oddness translates to how he thinks on the sidelines. as in, his brain is sometimes in bizarro world. that is the only explanation I have for things like this and for standing there like a statue watching precious seconds tick away at the end of the Clemson game before calling the last timeout. He is a smart guy and he knows his football, but I think he has a part of his brain that is, I don't know, Cosmo Kramer-like or something? he's just a weird dude. I like weirdness sometimes but not when it leads to crackpot coaching decisions for my favorite football team

Dino is an odd guy in general, and I think that oddness translates to how he thinks on the sidelines. as in, his brain is sometimes in bizarro world. that is the only explanation I have for things like this and for standing there like a statue watching precious seconds tick away at the end of the Clemson game before calling the last timeout. He is a smart guy and he knows his football, but I think he has a part of his brain that is, I don't know, Cosmo Kramer-like or something? he's just a weird dude. I like weirdness sometimes but not when it leads to crackpot coaching decisions for my favorite football team
He's definitely a different dude lol

Everyone has different philosophies I suppose but I think his answer is ridiculous. I want my backups to score whether we're up big or losing big. I want them to get a taste and maybe it's their first, maybe it's quite meaningful for them. I want them to feel success so it gets them hungry for more. My backup who comes in late and gets his first, that's big, that means something to him and to the team.

He just wanted to get out of there and it was obvious. He should say as much, he wasn't thinking about life lessons and crap. He probably didn't even know he had a timeout left.
Reminded me of the Pitt game from a few years ago where it looked like he just wanted to get out of there ASAP, the only difference being that the Pitt game was still winnable.

Last edited:
I really wished they had scored at the end but I get what Dino is saying. As fans we dont like it. As coaches, Its part of building the culture and the younger players in the program. You dont get life lines. If you want to score, get it in the endzone when you have a chance. Same way I feel when the back up defense gives up a a late TD to spoil the shut out.
With all respect what Dino said is absolute nonsense. Just go back to him kicking a late fg to avoid the shutout vs ND in 2018; utterly negates what he said.

With all respect what Dino said is absolute nonsense. Just go back to him kicking a late fg to avoid the shutout vs ND in 2018; utterly negates what he said.
Every game and situation isn’t the same. Again I’m not expecting people to understand the coaching perspective. As a fan, I don’t like hearing that. I wear two different hats.

Last edited:
No sense of urgency. I wish they had scored. Why do you think he did that?

I assume he not only told them not to use a time out but to not try to score. I don't think he expected them to get to the 1 yard line.

you had to have known you were going to right? We should start trying to predict his answers for things like this. They're mostly nutz.

I think a lot of them are made up on the fly.

I assume he not only told them not to use a time out but to not try to score. I don't think he expected them to get to the 1 yard line.
Don’t score. Don’t make him look good. Gotcha

Don’t score. Don’t make him look good. Gotcha

He told them to run the ball and not call a time out, (and then called one himself to check on a player's condition). Then when they got to the 1-yard line with 37 seconds, three downs, (it was 2nd down), and two time-outs left they didn't run a play, so I assume he told them not to.

He told them to run the ball and not call a time out, (and then called one himself to check on a player's condition). Then when they got to the 1-yard line with 37 seconds, three downs, (it was 2nd down), and two time-outs left they didn't run a play, so I assume he told them not to.
Ok. He didn’t want them to score. I understand your thoughts.

No way I want to go back and watch the game. But wasn’t FSU’s 2’s in the whole 4th quarter against our 1’s?

Why have Shrader and Tucker in the game to try and score with 5 mins left but not try to score with the 2’s in the last 3 mins?

And then he says he was worried about Allen getting hurt but left Tucker in almost the whole game?

Is Dino just trying to not start at QB controversy? I know we’re just fans and Dino is playing 3-D checkers or whatever but it just doesn’t make sense

You don’t know what you don’t know.

Every year, every game is different than previous years and previous games.

Kicking a late game field goal in 2018 is not the same as what happened last Saturday against FSU. The variables are vastly different game to game, and much more so year to year.

I get it. You think you’re smarter than the coach. But, you’re not.

HCDB knows the current status of the team’s health, which we don’t know. There are different offensive coordinators and QB coaches on the headphones weighing in in these decisions. Ironically it’s the people who aren’t on the headphones, don’t have accurate information regarding injuries and didn’t attend a single practice or meeting last week who have the strongest opinions about situations they know very little about.

During his past game conference HCDB said “there were some things going on in the fourth quarter where I said just run the ball”. Around the 4:15 mark.

Of course posters here know what HCDB was referring to, right? Of course posters who calm his comments nonsense know all the details the coaches are considering when decisions are being made. Of course you do. And of course you’re smarter than the man who makes million$ to make these decisions while you get to call him out on your keyboard for his “nonsense”.

You don’t know what you don’t know.

Every year, every game is different than previous years and previous games.

Kicking a late game field goal in 2018 is not the same as what happened last Saturday against FSU. The variables are vastly different game to game, and much more so year to year.

I get it. You think you’re smarter than the coach. But, you’re not.

HCDB knows the current status of the team’s health, which we don’t know. There are different offensive coordinators and QB coaches on the headphones weighing in in these decisions. Ironically it’s the people who aren’t on the headphones, don’t have accurate information regarding injuries and didn’t attend a single practice or meeting last week who have the strongest opinions about situations they know very little about.

During his past game conference HCDB said “there were some things going on in the fourth quarter where I said just run the ball”. Around the 4:15 mark.

Of course posters here know what HCDB was referring to, right? Of course posters who calm his comments nonsense know all the details the coaches are considering when decisions are being made. Of course you do. And of course you’re smarter than the man who makes million$ to make these decisions while you get to call him out on your keyboard for his “nonsense”.

Which member of the staff are you? I’ve never seen a man more dedicated to defending a person who gets paid millions of dollars to lose more times then he wins then besides townie on the BBall side. You just can’t accept that he can and does make bad decisions sometimes

People are confused by HCDB calling the timeout than not trying to score. He called that time, as you accurately stated, the check on a player who he thought may have been hurt on a previous play. I don’t remember who the player was or the outcome of the potential injury, but the coach seemed to be more concerned about protecting his players from injuries that could be avoided than he was concerned about scoring at the end of that game (the FSU game in 2022, not a game in 2018).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom