The Dino Babers Show - before Wake Forest | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Dino Babers Show - before Wake Forest

You don’t know what you don’t know.

Every year, every game is different than previous years and previous games.

Kicking a late game field goal in 2018 is not the same as what happened last Saturday against FSU. The variables are vastly different game to game, and much more so year to year.

I get it. You think you’re smarter than the coach. But, you’re not.

HCDB knows the current status of the team’s health, which we don’t know. There are different offensive coordinators and QB coaches on the headphones weighing in in these decisions. Ironically it’s the people who aren’t on the headphones, don’t have accurate information regarding injuries and didn’t attend a single practice or meeting last week who have the strongest opinions about situations they know very little about.

During his past game conference HCDB said “there were some things going on in the fourth quarter where I said just run the ball”. Around the 4:15 mark.

Of course posters here know what HCDB was referring to, right? Of course posters who calm his comments nonsense know all the details the coaches are considering when decisions are being made. Of course you do. And of course you’re smarter than the man who makes million$ to make these decisions while you get to call him out on your keyboard for his “nonsense”.

You seem to think that comments by fans critical of the coach’s decision making are somehow unfair or not allowed. I’d point out that this is a fan forum, and that fan criticism comes with the big salary.
SU dad x 3
53 yr fan

No way I want to go back and watch the game. But wasn’t FSU’s 2’s in the whole 4th quarter against our 1’s?

Why have Shrader and Tucker in the game to try and score with 5 mins left but not try to score with the 2’s in the last 3 mins?

And then he says he was worried about Allen getting hurt but left Tucker in almost the whole game?

Is Dino just trying to not start at QB controversy? I know we’re just fans and Dino is playing 3-D checkers or whatever but it just doesn’t make sense

Yes they we’re. They had their 2nd string QB in the game mid third. Guess they weren’t worried about us scoring lickety split.

If he wanted them to score he certainly didn't do anything to help them.
You didn’t really answer. Do you think he is sabotaging his team or punishing his players? Im trying to figure out peoples logic.

People are confused by HCDB calling the timeout than not trying to score. He called that time, as you accurately stated, the check on a player who he thought may have been hurt on a previous play. I don’t remember who the payer was or the outcome of the potential injury, but the coach seemed to be more concerned about b protecting his players from injuries that could be avoided than he was concerned about scoring at the end of that game (the FSU game in 2022, not a game in 2018).

We know he told them to run the ball and not call time outs because he said that he did. We know they did exactly that but somehow gained 65 yards in 8 plays to wind up on the one yard line with 37 second, two time outs and three downs to go yet they never ran another play. I'm assuming Dino told them not to. His explanation was that he was teaching them "life lessons". You've referenced a statement where he said that it had to do with "some things going on in the fourth quarter".

I confess that I don't know what 'life lessons' he was teaching or what had gone on in the fourth quarter that prompted him to prevent his own team from scoring. I've literally been watching football since before Dino was born and yet I've never seen a team that was behind stop trying to score at the end of a football game.

Which member of the staff are you? I’ve never seen a man more dedicated to defending a person who gets paid millions of dollars to lose more times then he wins then besides townie on the BBall side. You just can’t accept that he can and does make bad decisions sometimes

Do you feel better?

HCDB does make bad decisions. Every coach makes bad decisions.

The fact that I don’t complain endlessly about decisions I don’t like or don’t understand is evidence that I can accept Coach Babers for all that he is, which includes being imperfect. I often don’t make comments here because I know there’s plenty of crap going on behind the scenes that I don’t know about.

I don’t know what I don’t know too. But, I know enough to know there are things that affect these decisions that I don't know.

I defend the man because I think he’s a good man. I’ve met him. I’ve been able to watch him work and I see how he treats people in the program, in his ohana, and I like what I’ve seen and heard. I defend things and occasionally question posts that I think are nonsense and attacks on the man just for the sake of taking a shot at the man.

Background: I coached for several years. I was a head coach in high school. We were very successful and played for a local championship in California (equivalent to many of the state championships out there today). I also coached in junior college. We played for the mythical national championship one year. We sent several kids on to play DI football.

I’ve been on the sidelines and had my decisions questioned by people who just didn’t know.

Have you ever coached?

Do you feel better?

HCDB does make bad decisions. Every coach makes bad decisions.

The fact that I don’t complain endlessly about decisions I don’t like or don’t understand is evidence that I can accept Coach Babers for all that he is, which includes being imperfect. I often don’t make comments here because I know there’s plenty of crap going on behind the scenes that I don’t know about.

I don’t know what I don’t know too. But, I know enough to know there are things that affect these decisions that I don't know.

I defend the man because I think he’s a good man. I’ve met him. I’ve been able to watch him work and I see how he treats people in the program, in his ohana, and I like what I’ve seen and heard. I defend things and occasionally question posts that I think are nonsense and attacks on the man just for the sake of taking a shot at the man.

Background: I coached for several years. I was a head coach in high school. We were very successful and played for a local championship in California (equivalent to many of the state championships out there today). I also coached in junior college. We played for the mythical national championship one year. We sent several kids on to play DI football.

I’ve been on the sidelines and had my decisions questioned by people who just didn’t know.

Have you ever coached?
Seeing how as I’m 23 no I have not coached yet. I’d be the equivalent of a senior. Though I have looked into volunteer coaching youth teams in the next year or so

We know he told them to run the ball and not call time outs because he said that he did. We know they did exactly that but somehow gained 65 yards in 8 plays to wind up on the one yard line with 37 second, two time outs and three downs to go yet they never ran another play. I'm assuming Dino told them not to. His explanation was that he was teaching them "life lessons". You've referenced a statement where he said that it had to do with "some things going on in the fourth quarter".

I confess that I don't know what 'life lessons' he was teaching or what had gone on in the fourth quarter that prompted him to prevent his own team from scoring. I've literally been watching football since before Dino was born and yet I've never seen a team that was behind stop trying to score at the end of a football game.

I didn’t hear the “life lessons” comment. When was that made? Post game or Monday?

I posted a link to the post game presser and refer to the 4:15 mark for his comment about “there were some things going on in the 4th quarter where I said just run it”.

Without knowing “what was going on in the 4th quarter”, we will never be able to understand the context of his decision. Which what I mean when I say “we don’t know what we don’t know”.

I do recall HCDB saying he called the timeout to check on the well-being of a player he thought got dinged on the previous play. I assumed seeing a player almost get injured at that state of that game was connected to his decision to allow the cloak to run out. Personally, I respect a coach who hasn’t forgotten the well-being of his players. That was my thinking.

Seeing how as I’m 23 no I have not coached yet. I’d be the equivalent of a senior. Though I have looked into volunteer coaching youth teams in the next year or so

I encourage you to volunteer. It’s a good experience to wear multiple hats; parent, coach, fan etc….

For the individual, coaching can be an excellent and often very rewarding experience. I still hear from players I coached 30 years ago. Former players have referred their own kids to me for advice or training. You need a speed coach, I’ve got one. You need a QB coach, I know of two in my general area. You need a strength coach, I have two depending on what you want to work on. You need a DB coach, I know two (one who trains guys for the NFL combine every year).

Most of all, the kids need good coaches. They need GOOD PEOPLE, to get involved in their lives. Nothing shows you care more than the habits of a dedicated and committed coach. A coach who is committed to the kids and dedicated to teaching life lessons through sport and not just dedicated to winning games.

If you’re serious about helping out, do it. You might find that you like it.

I didn’t hear the “life lessons” comment. When was that made? Post game or Monday?

I posted a link to the post game presser and refer to the 4:15 mark for his comment about “there were some things going on in the 4th quarter where I said just run it”.

Without knowing “what was going on in the 4th quarter”, we will never be able to understand the context of his decision. Which what I mean when I say “we don’t know what we don’t know”.

I do recall HCDB saying he called the timeout to check on the well-being of a player he thought got dinged on the previous play. I assumed seeing a player almost get injured at that state of that game was connected to his decision to allow the cloak to run out. Personally, I respect a coach who hasn’t forgotten the well-being of his players. That was my thinking.

Go back to the original post in this thread.

What could go on in a fourth quarter that would cause a coach whose team is behind to order them not to score? It must have been something that went on within his team.

Last edited:
I’ve met him. I’ve been able to watch him work and I see how he treats people in the program, in his ohana, and I like what I’ve seen and heard. I defend things and occasionally question posts that I think are nonsense and attacks on the man just for the sake of taking a shot at the man.

Look Louie GIF by Sheets & Giggles

You didn’t really answer. Do you think he is sabotaging his team or punishing his players? Im trying to figure out peoples logic.
I dont know. I dont think hes trying to punish the players as the subs didn't have any thing to do with the outcome .
I also dont think he was attempting to sabotage the team.
I think that he freezes in tough situations. He isnt a quick decision maker and i really think he froze up like he has done so many times before. Simply put. It wasn't a conscious decision. He just froze.

I don’t remember who the player was or the outcome of the potential injury, but the coach seemed to be more concerned about protecting his players from injuries that could be avoided than he was concerned about scoring at the end of that game (the FSU game in 2022, not a game in 2018).
But he was concerned about protecting his players(Shrader. Tucker) by having them play in the 4th in a blowout loss? When the game was well decided in the 3rd quarter?

But he was concerned about protecting his players(Shrader. Tucker) by having them play in the 4th in a blowout loss? When the game was well decided in the 3rd quarter?

His quote was that Allen looked woozy.

His quote was that Allen looked woozy.
I like Dino and have always rooted for him and the team but he makes it hard to root for him sometimes.

I’ll admit I didn’t listen to the show and am only going off of SWC75’s recap. But Shrader and Tucker looked hurt the whole game. He wasn’t worried about their well being? He played them well into the 4th quarter when there was no chance of us winning. Why play them down 35 points?

I dont know. I dont think hes trying to punish the players as the subs didn't have any thing to do with the outcome .
I also dont think he was attempting to sabotage the team.
I think that he freezes in tough situations. He isnt a quick decision maker and i really think he froze up like he has done so many times before. Simply put. It wasn't a conscious decision. He just froze.
Ok Gotcha. I was lost for a second. His bad game management is well known but this situation didnt require him to panic or freeze. He just decided not to call a timeout during the last seconds of a game that was already decided.

Ok Gotcha. I was lost for a second. His bad game management is well known but this situation didnt require him to panic or freeze. He just decided not to call a timeout during the last seconds of a game that was already decided.

He also must have told his team not to run a play from the 1-yard line with 37 seconds left. He didn't want them to score.

He also must have told his team not to run a play from the 1-yard line with 37 seconds left. He didn't want them to score.
Must have? What were you watching? He ran a play at 23 seconds and tried again after that. “Told his team not to run a play” ? They were showing FSU’s sideline at 37 seconds. Not sure how you know what was discussed or signaled in. I want a better coach too but I’m not gonna make stuff up because Im tired of the losing.

Must have? What were you watching? He ran a play at 23 seconds and tried again after that. “Told his team not to run a play” ? They were showing FSU’s sideline at 37 seconds. Not sure how you know what was discussed or signaled in. I want a better coach too but I’m not gonna make stuff up because Im tired of the losing.

I just watched the replay and there were 18 seconds left after the last play and they did try to run a play but didn't get it off so I take back what I said about time to get a play off. The issue is not calling a time out, which Dino acknowledge he told them.

(go to 1:53:51)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom