The Downside - Georgia Tech | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Georgia Tech

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I came home exhausted. I had to lie down and take a nap before writing this. I’ve written Updowns for basketball games in the wee hours of the morning with more energy than this. My BP was 133/76/58 yesterday. Today it’s 148/90/60. I’m not ill. I spend a lot of energy rooting for the team, chanting like a cheerleader throughout. I hate games in all sports where my team has a good lead and watches it dissipate as everything goes wrong down the stretch. Even if we pull out those games, as we did today, it doesn’t feel like a victory. This was a victory and a big one but I’m having to tell myself that. It was 31-14 with a little more than 5 minutes left. That would have been a nice final score.

- Last year’s hero, Dan Villari, had a bad game. After going unused in the Ohio U. game, he dropped two early passes. One was on a hard hit but the other was the rookie mistake of looking downfield before you catch the ball. It was 3rd and 7 at the GT 26 and he had the first if he had caught it with plenty of green in front of him. But the ball was on the ground. Then after GT had scored to make it 31-21, an onside’s kick bounced off of him and was recover by the Jackets, resulting in the drive that made it 31-28. The thing is, it bounced off o him withing 10 yards of the kick. If Tech had fallen on the ball at that point, it would have bene our ball – unless it touched one of our players. Why is a veteran palyer even in the 10 yard zone?

- A list of the special teams sins has already been posted: two blocked kicks, (I sent the rest of the game feeling we had to avoid kicking the ball, which is a hard way to win), a kick-off out of bounds, (the next one only went to the 10 yard line), and then Dan’s foul Pa. Fortunately, we’ve got two weeks to fix this. hey, we fixed the defense!

- Our tackling was better but still far from perfect. There were 6-8 plays where it took the 4th and 5th guys to pull out the stinger. Derek McDonald is curing himself for not getting Haynes King down in the backfield on his second touchdown. What bothered me on that play was that no one reacted to it. Instead the waves parted and King waltzed into the end zone untouched.

- We’ve only had one turnover in two games but we’ve also only produced one. I was praying for one at the end and I’m not religious.

- Two games: 11 penalties against us, (which is not excessive: Dino’s teams had that on one game), 4 against the other team, (which is amazing). We had an unnecessary roughness call on a sideline play that was itself unnecessary and a “good catch” call on another sideline pass where the Jacket receiver seemed to kick up some white with his toe along the sideline. I do like the fact that the Dome’s replays show the controversial plays, several times in slow motion. We used to be able to tell the bad calls because they didn’t show them.

- I’m not seeing mention of our upset win over the #23 team in the country as I flip around the CFB stations. I’m sure they are thinking that GT’s win over FSU was more about FSU than them and that they were overrated. That may be true. We’ll see as the season progresses. As Al Davis said: Just win Baby! Keep doing that and they can’t ignore you.

I wrote during the game that Villari is so last year. Take him out. We don't need him. Thank you for what you did last year, but not up to par right now.

I also fell asleep watching the US Open, and didn't mean to. This game exhausted me. And that was with sitting on my ouch at home watching. I was so excited, invested, and then nervous towards the end, that it wiped me out. Oh along with my age.

I wrote during the game that Villari is so last year. Take him out. We don't need him. Thank you for what you did last year, but not up to par right now.

I also fell asleep watching the US Open, and didn't mean to. This game exhausted me. And that was with sitting on my ouch at home watching. I was so excited, invested, and then nervous towards the end, that it wiped me out. Oh along with my age.

That cookie in your avatar didn't keep you going?

- I came home exhausted. I had to lie down and take a nap before writing this. I’ve written Updowns for basketball games in the wee hours of the morning with more energy than this. My BP was 133/76/58 yesterday. Today it’s 148/90/60. I’m not ill. I spend a lot of energy rooting for the team, chanting like a cheerleader throughout. I hate games in all sports where my team has a good lead and watches it dissipate as everything goes wrong down the stretch. Even if we pull out those games, as we did today, it doesn’t feel like a victory. This was a victory and a big one but I’m having to tell myself that. It was 31-14 with a little more than 5 minutes left. That would have been a nice final score.

- Last year’s hero, Dan Villari, had a bad game. After going unused in the Ohio U. game, he dropped two early passes. One was on a hard hit but the other was the rookie mistake of looking downfield before you catch the ball. It was 3rd and 7 at the GT 26 and he had the first if he had caught it with plenty of green in front of him. But the ball was on the ground. Then after GT had scored to make it 31-21, an onside’s kick bounced off of him and was recover by the Jackets, resulting in the drive that made it 31-28. The thing is, it bounced off o him withing 10 yards of the kick. If Tech had fallen on the ball at that point, it would have bene our ball – unless it touched one of our players. Why is a veteran palyer even in the 10 yard zone?

- A list of the special teams sins has already been posted: two blocked kicks, (I sent the rest of the game feeling we had to avoid kicking the ball, which is a hard way to win), a kick-off out of bounds, (the next one only went to the 10 yard line), and then Dan’s foul Pa. Fortunately, we’ve got two weeks to fix this. hey, we fixed the defense!

- Our tackling was better but still far from perfect. There were 6-8 plays where it took the 4th and 5th guys to pull out the stinger. Derek McDonald is curing himself for not getting Haynes King down in the backfield on his second touchdown. What bothered me on that play was that no one reacted to it. Instead the waves parted and King waltzed into the end zone untouched.

- We’ve only had one turnover in two games but we’ve also only produced one. I was praying for one at the end and I’m not religious.

- Two games: 11 penalties against us, (which is not excessive: Dino’s teams had that on one game), 4 against the other team, (which is amazing). We had an unnecessary roughness call on a sideline play that was itself unnecessary and a “good catch” call on another sideline pass where the Jacket receiver seemed to kick up some white with his toe along the sideline. I do like the fact that the Dome’s replays show the controversial plays, several times in slow motion. We used to be able to tell the bad calls because they didn’t show them.

- I’m not seeing mention of our upset win over the #23 team in the country as I flip around the CFB stations. I’m sure they are thinking that GT’s win over FSU was more about FSU than them and that they were overrated. That may be true. We’ll see as the season progresses. As Al Davis said: Just win Baby! Keep doing that and they can’t ignore you.
You have to do the downside first. I can’t change my habit of reading Downside ALWAYS before reading Upside. I was having another meltdown seeing Upside and no Downside. I am old, senile and it’s way past my bedtime. Have some respect for your elders. And I still have to watch the replay ….
I feel better now…. Keep up the great work on your Sides, both Up and Down. I look forward to them all the time. Thank you!

You have to do the downside first. I can’t change my habit of reading Downside ALWAYS before reading Upside. I was having another meltdown seeing Upside and no Downside. I am old, senile and it’s way past my bedtime. Have some respect for your elders. And I still have to watch the replay ….
I feel better now…. Keep up the great work on your Sides, both Up and Down. I look forward to them all the time. Thank you!

The Downside comes first when we lose, The Upside when we win. I have to deal with the natural reaction to the loss first, then calm things down.

Last edited:
Possible correction: Adam Terry identified Dan Villari as the SU player who touched the onsides kick. I saw another post saying it was Fadil Diggs and Coach Brown in his presser said it was "a blocker", which would figure to be Diggs. Nevertheless, Dan had a poor game and, with all the competition among the receivers, you've got to catch balls if you want them throw to you.

Well done, Steve! But please watch your health. It’s only a game.

HA HA HA HA. Snort HA HA HA!

I was at the game as well. The woman in front of me fell asleep with her head on boyfriend’s shoulder. I hope that gives him a hint she is not the one for him. Red flag! Red flag!

I also wish we could have blown them out but we showed guts and held on. Love this team.

Villari had one bad game. He’ll be in the mix all year as someone who can throw off trick plays

That cookie in your avatar didn't keep you going?
Actually a white chocolate disk. But as you can see it says Happy 70th Birthday. That officially puts me in afternoon nap territory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan.Oversl

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom