The Downside (St. John's) | Syracusefan.com

The Downside (St. John's)

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Looking at the box score, it’s hard to see how we even made a game of this.

- Mal Richardson came in as a 33% three point shooter and Trevor Coney came in at 34%. They were a combined 1 for 19 from arc. Frederico Mussini came in at 32% and Amar Alibegovic was 26%. They were a combined 8 of 11 on treys. There’s your ball game right there.

- We are supposed to be the three point shooting team but were 5 for 26, (including a scintillating 1 for 12 in the second half). St. Johnson was 12 for 24, 50%, many of them from beyond NBA range.

- Tyler Roberson had one of his more aggressive games but it didn’t show in confidence or effort at the foul line, where he was a ridiculous 1 for 8. His teammates were a more normal 18 for 23. Tyler always has good form but too often has bad results.

- We were again out-rebounded by a lot, 36-50. We rebounded 11 of 50 misses, 22%. They rebounded 11 of their 36 missies, 31%. We were +9 in turnovers but tit didn’t make up the deficit, which has always been our formula. We’ve got to be in close enough range on the boards to get enough steals to equalize it.

- The good news is that Michael Gbinije was 7 for 11 from the field. The bad news is he had only 11 attempts, 4 in the second half. That’s one every 5 minutes. Richardson put the ball up 20 times, 13 in the second half, and missed 16 of them. The wrong people had the ball.

- And that, in turn, is because we don’t have a point guard. Michael Gbinije is not our point guard. If he was he could determine how many shots he takes. Franklin Howard and Kaleb Joseph, who played a combined total of 12 minutes are not our point guard either- yet.

- DaJuan Coleman scored 4 points and had 3 rebounds while his counter-part, Yankkuba Sima,, had 9 and 8, along with 3 blocks. We again used Tyler Lydon, once thought of as perhaps a small forward, at center most of the game. We’re a team without a point guard and without a center.

- I’m far less concerned with Jim Boeheim’s ‘quest’ for 1,000 wins than I am with our streak of 45 consecutive winning seasons. Louisville had a 46 year streak and UCLA 54, which is the record. I’d love for Syracuse to someday hold that record. The NCAA penalty, of course would seem to deprive us of that record. But that record does not appear in the NCAA record book, so it is an unofficial record. I feel therefore, that ‘unofficial’ wins should count toward it. Rakeem Christmas’ surprise development into a great force inside last year enabled an otherwise mediocre team to finish 18-13 and keep the streak alive. Off of what I’ve seen, this team may not have what it takes to keep the streak alive. We should win the next three games to go 10-3 going into conference play. We need to go at least 7-11 in conference to insulate us from a losing record, (in case we have an 0-2 post-season). I’m not sure we can.

First game I've missed in 10 years.

Mal - sounds like he was hoisting. Anything to do with him being 'back home?'

We need a Big Man Coach. The staff is, what, all guards, no? I know it's not exactly he same, but our situation is a bit too much like having former defensive linemen coaching wide receivers.

We need a Big Man Coach. The staff is, what, all guards, no? I know it's not exactly he same, but our situation is a bit too much like having former defensive linemen coaching wide receivers.

Bernie Fine was JB's big man coach for years and had a reputation as a good one. He'd been a student manager.

Someone on that staff developed Rak.

And Pete Newell was about 6' or 6'1 as I recall.

We also need some bigs to coach. This team is all guards and small forwards.

Rak
Someone on that staff developed Rak.

And Pete Newell was about 6' or 6'1 as I recall.

Rak, despite being a McD player, took quite a while to become what he was as a senior. By citing him, one guy, you're saying not only was he not an outlier, but also that his progress and development was as quick as was possible. Which seems more like Faith than Fact.

The height of the coach isn't important to me. I didn't suggest the Big Man Coach had to be big. And, yes, I can accept that maybe a guard can learn center coaching skills. But, that's still a work in progress in and of itself, even before he gets to tutor the player. All in all, I'd rather have a guy who actually DID it than a guy who never did it. All else equal, of course.

Bernie? We don't really know how good he was. There is no way to know. We can take Rony Seikaly's word for it, I guess, but what's that in relation to? Again, another faith-based assessment.

Whatever. Who replaces Hopkins? That's the question. Isn't it? Another guard who has been learning the power position HOW, exactly?

I think we should ban ourselves from post season play this year as a credit against any BS finding the NCAA may levy against us in the near or distant future.

I think we should ban ourselves from post season play this year as a credit against any BS finding the NCAA may levy against us in the near or distant future.

A post-season 'on account,' you NCAA bastids. Fargin ice holes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom