The Downside - UNLV | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - UNLV

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Everybody else has three guys in the backfield protecting the punter. It works. The rest of college football has basically taken blocked punts out of the game for 20 years. We use two guys and can’t get punts off. On one, Jack Stonehouse, (a great punters), had to eat the ball, setting up a touchdown and on the other it was batted into the end zone and recovered by the Rebels. We’ve now had 5 punts and placekicks blocked in 5 games. There is no excuse for this.

- Our offensive line continued to have problems keeping the opposition out of our backfield on passing plays and also getting to the second level on running plays. Adam Terry complained in one late play that UNLV was rushing TWO guys and they were in McCord’s face.

- UNLV basically gave us the game buy dropping two interceptions and committing 9 penalties at all the wrong times, allowing us to sustain drives.

- With 7 seconds in the first half they got off two pass plays, still trying to score. Then they took a knee after getting the ball with 23 seconds left in the fourth quarter. Why?

- After LeQuint scored in OT, the refs announced “The game is not over”, even though it was and conducted a review…of what? Before allowing the SU players, coaches and fans to celebrate. Nice.

Wow…I actually thought the OL held up well tonight. Kyle had a ton of time on a lot of throws and we finally had some daylight to run through. 500 yards against a pretty darn good D is no time to criticize the OL. I thought they took a step forward after two hideous games.

The downside is our team speed and our secondary. Lewis can't play. Any team that doesn't attack him all day should be banned from football.

The downside is our team speed and our secondary. Lewis can't play. Any team that doesn't attack him all day should be banned from football.

Agree, the team speed definitely needs a burst. I know it's getting better recruit wise which is a good thing.

SU's tackIing was atrocious. I'd hate this week"s fiIm room if I was a defensive pIayer.

Better than what it was against Ohio, but FAR from where they need to be to be to compete against good offenses.
We won't see many offenses that are better than UNLV the rest of the year. Miami is the only offense that is objectively better. Given how good our offense is, If the defense can make minor improvements each week going forward (tackling definitely included), then the team can still accomplish all of their goals.

Unless of course the special teams keeps operating at its current rate...

I am hopeful that will also improve.

- Everybody else has three guys in the backfield protecting the punter. It works. The rest of college football has basically taken blocked punts out of the game for 20 years. We use two guys and can’t get punts off. On one, Jack Stonehouse, (a great punters), had to eat the ball, setting up a touchdown and on the other it was batted into the end zone and recovered by the Rebels. We’ve now had 5 punts and placekicks blocked in 5 games. There is no excuse for this.

- Our offensive line continued to have problems keeping the opposition out of our backfield on passing plays and also getting to the second level on running plays. Adam Terry complained in one late play that UNLV was rushing TWO guys and they were in McCord’s face.

- UNLV basically gave us the game buy dropping two interceptions and committing 9 penalties at all the wrong times, allowing us to sustain drives.

- With 7 seconds in the first half they got off two pass plays, still trying to score. Then they took a knee after getting the ball with 23 seconds left in the fourth quarter. Why?

- After LeQuint scored in OT, the refs announced “The game is not over”, even though it was and conducted a review…of what? Before allowing the SU players, coaches and fans to celebrate. Nice.
You don’t think they should review to see if maybe his shin or something touched down before crossing the goal line? I know it wasn’t a close call, but I would hope they review a game winning score.

You don’t think they should review to see if maybe his shin or something touched down before crossing the goal line? I know it wasn’t a close call, but I would hope they review a game winning score.
Don't mind them reviewing a game winning score if there is something to review. There wasn't there.

Wow…I actually thought the OL held up well tonight. Kyle had a ton of time on a lot of throws and we finally had some daylight to run through. 500 yards against a pretty darn good D is no time to criticize the OL. I thought they took a step forward after two hideous games.

The OL in general was fine.

No sacks, time for passing, and two backs had solid games.

I admit to being heavily influenced by Adam Terry, who does our radio commentary and was a starting tackle for SU 2001-04 and in the NFL from 2005-11. I figure he should know how well the line is playing.

Don't mind them reviewing a game winning score if there is something to review. There wasn't there.
I disagree, you have to review and make 100 percent sure that shin doesn’t hit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom