UNLV and Cal are both going to be tough games | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UNLV and Cal are both going to be tough games

Other than Holy cross they are all going to be difficult but winnable. I look at each team left and compare them to us from an improvement standpoint. I believe that SU has a very long way to go before we even hit our stride especially on the D side of the ball. Rotations are still a work in progress. I doubt that we have even seen half of the playbook. We have some solid players that have not even seen the field yet. Timing between Kyle and his receivers will only improve. Guys learning brand new schemes brand new positions. SU has a very big upside, and our best ball is in front of us. I like this bye week and i like how the rest of the year shapes up. We have a legitimate chance to go into the Miami game undefeated or maybe with one loss.

Yep I got us losing to them in the preseason progs thread, gonna be tough for us to focus with all distractions Vegas and playing in an nfl stadium brings, plus on paper unlv looked to be a very good team.

That said I wrote that before realizing this staff may be able to overcome all that, along with GREAT senior leaders who may be able to help in that regard, and finally the transcendent talent that Mccord brings to the table.

I mean I know he’d be good, but this good!? No way. Plus The off the field leader ship hes already showing, 12-0 isn’t going to happen but to even present it this way, it’s completely unexpected and very exciting.
I think Fran's boot camp at the beginning of the year brought this team together in a way we haven't seen in many years.

Other than Holy cross they are all going to be difficult but winnable. I look at each team left and compare them to us from an improvement standpoint. I believe that SU has a very long way to go before we even hit our stride especially on the D side of the ball. Rotations are still a work in progress. I doubt that we have even seen half of the playbook. We have some solid players that have not even seen the field yet. Timing between Kyle and his receivers will only improve. Guys learning brand new schemes brand new positions. SU has a very big upside, and our best ball is in front of us. I like this bye week and i like how the rest of the year shapes up. We have a legitimate chance to go into the Miami game undefeated or maybe with one loss.
Fran said a similar comment in the post game. Said team is good but a lot of improvement before they get where they want to be.

ESPn has us as underdogs vs UNLV but Fav vs NC st and dogs vs Pitt. wierd
Home court advantage is tremendous for college football. Even we are better than both NC State and Pitt, NC State is so bad so NC state is the underdog. And not as bad Pitt is favored to win.

I wouldnt count out Clemson. They are just not on Georgia's level. Most teams arent.
Agreed. You can count on one hand the number of teams Georgia wouldn't completely overwhelm on a neutral field. Solid chance Clemson will end up in the playoff.

If we go into Miami with two losses, I’ll be pumped. That would be an accomplishment.

If we go into Miami with two losses, I’ll be pumped. That would be an accomplishment.
This. The offense has been so good that we have been able to get by with some really bad miscues on defense and special teams. Now how sustainable is that? There will come a game… probably against an opponent that we all overlook… where McCord has an off-night or the line has trouble protecting… or we have flukey turnovers… and we will need a defense and special teams performance that kicks into a higher gear than what they shown thus far. Fortunately they have a bye to try and figure some of that out.

When Miami goes into Syracuse and the 'Cuse only has 0-2 losses it'll be a full house.
Bring on the Hurricanes* for an Orange Crush! Miami will not be prepared for the latest Orange tweaks.

* it would suck if we'd have to play them again the following weekend. Go Orange!

This. The offense has been so good that we have been able to get by with some really bad miscues on defense and special teams. Now how sustainable is that? There will come a game… probably against an opponent that we all overlook… where McCord has an off-night or the line has trouble protecting… or we have flukey turnovers… and we will need a defense and special teams performance that kicks into a higher gear than what they shown thus far. Fortunately they have a bye to try and figure some of that out.

Did you even watch the GT game or just going through your wheel of canned complaints?

Was gonna start a thread but just gonna throw this here.
After week 2 I feel our schedule is no easier than a typical year. Im not positive on the particulars but at first glance I see it like this:
Instead of FlaSt we play GaTech.
Instead of Clemson we play Miami.
Instead of @ Wake Forest we play @ Cal.
Instead of @Army we play @ UNLV.
...maybe Stanford instead of VA or Duke.
To me thats it, all the other games are typical.
At minimum its a wash, certainly alot less travel. If I could trade I think I would...

The only difference is the Notre Dame years. Who knows how good they are?

Last edited:
Mendoza, the Cal QB, took a beating against Auburn.

Maybe Auburn's DL is good or maybe Cal's OL is swiss cheese.

If it's cheese, Mendoza may not make it to the Cuse game. That would change things a lot.

Did you even watch the GT game or just going through your wheel of canned complaints?
We will see.
I think our game plan would change in-game. We would stop messing around on offense and not play ball control. Pretty sure we could go much faster and really get going on offense. We saw little glimpses against Ohio when we needed it. I cant see a game where our offense gets shut down.
Slowed down a bit will happen at times and mistakes will be made. I guess against an elite Def its possible but I think our OC has alot more up his sleeve if its needed.
I feel if the pressure is really on, the players on Off, Def and STs will step up, accountability. We may lose some but in that case the other team was just better not bc we failed. Hats off.
Also, the team and coaches are not going to overlook anyone, maybe you would but not advisable. That BS is for undisciplined teams, this coach aint letting that fly, I would at least bet on that.
Anyways, Im sure we will pull it all together with a little time. You saw the change the defense made after Ohio. There will be changes and alot of time to make a difference in the STs.
It is football, perfection is unattainable; only more perfect. Focus on the positives and enjoy the improvements.
With all that said...chill out Franco, relaaax.
We are going to the playoff!

***Did you actually *see* a few of Kyle Mclambos throws? or were you just watching? Dudes a pro, a leader and gets his team fired up. "These guys are fin sorry as f" lets go!

Last edited:
Local Vegas media.

Up next: the Rebs go on the road for arguably their biggest test of the season, Kansas. Kickoff is set for 4 p.m. on Friday and can be watched on ESPN.

We'll see if that proves to be their biggest test of the season. (I don't think so)

UNLV Football off to a historic start to their season
At first I was thinking they meant toughest so far. Then I wasnt so sure. But I guess its possible to argue at this point that at Kansas is possibly tougher than Syracuse at home. I dont think so but its not their fault, they didnt know.
I sure hope we whoop there ass bc a unlv player said it was there goal to score 70 against utah tech. So there goal was to totally embaress the other team, ok fine but lets not share that to media. Thats just me.
I say Fran should make it our goal to embaress them. Another "bulletin board".

Do you just look at a poster’s name and go through your list of canned replies?

Local Vegas media.

Up next: the Rebs go on the road for arguably their biggest test of the season, Kansas. Kickoff is set for 4 p.m. on Friday and can be watched on ESPN.

We'll see if that proves to be their biggest test of the season. (I don't think so)

UNLV Football off to a historic start to their season
Kansas after a loss at their building is a tougher task on paper than a home game against us.

When Miami goes into Syracuse and the 'Cuse only has 0-2 losses it'll be a full house.
Bring on the Hurricanes* for an Orange Crush! Miami will not be prepared for the latest Orange tweaks.

* it would suck if we'd have to play them again the following weekend. Go Orange!
In that hypothetical matchup of 11-0 Miami and 11-0 Cuse, the loser of that matchup would likely be out of contention for the ACC title game.

I view conference title games as de facto round 1 of the playoff as far as I'm concerned.

And I just realized that 11-1 Syracuse would probably be in the playoff regardless... which goes back to the question of would coaches sit their star players once the playoff is a lock?

(it's refreshing to be able to indulge in these fantasies and not be labeled a crazy person... just a week ago the tone around here was a lot more subdued following Ohio)

I still think 11-1 su gets left out unless we beat 11-0 miami and lose to someone else.

UNLV's QB was Holy Cross' QB last year which is ironically ironic.

Had Chesney been HC of Syracuse, we would probably have Sluka as QB here. Weird sliding doors scenario.

Having said that, Sluka is a good qb similar to Shrader. They'll be a test that we'll ace i'm sure

I looked at teams on our schedule and I think the only team that lost this week was NC State. Obv, early in the year OOC non P$ games pad that % but it is nice to be palying teams that have winning % down the stretch. Cal beating Auburn is nice. NC State laid the egg. Duke managing a win against NW was acceptable but not overly impressive. I have started to watch UNLV game against Houston and cant tell who is good... I think they will be bothersome but not ready for Nixon's offense. We will be annoyed by thier shifty speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom