UNLV and Cal are both going to be tough games | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

UNLV and Cal are both going to be tough games

too many variables on 9/9 to really know
I agree. But it would help if BC/Cal/UNLV/GT were to finish with good records getting there.

Honestly in a great season we could be 11-0 lose to Miami and then play Miami again and be 11-2 with two losses to them.

if we are 11-0 when we play them then FSU is done. Gt we beat and Cal and Pitt and BC so they would be behind us. Lou plays Miami and could also finish 11-1 and tie us and Clemson 11-1.

back to the tie breakers

These are the tough games where the point spread will be tight that we have left in my opinion (order of rank):

1) Miami (Home) - looks to be the cream of the crop team in the ACC this year, however their key win so far was a pounding of UF at UF. However, UF hasn't looked that great. UF plays Texas A&M this week so that should be a good comparative measuring stick.

2) Cal (Away) - Looked strong against Auburn at Auburn, stout defense and good running game. West coast travel, playing away additional factors. Also thought they were well coached.

3) BC (Away) - BOB coaching, away game, BC similar to Cal looks to be fundamentally sound for defense and the running game. Signature win so far over a bad FSU team, but it was on the road. They are at Missouri and then have Michigan St at home the next 2 weeks so we should learn a lot more about them soon.

4) NC St (Away) - tough loss last week, but still a quality ACC team that we have to play on the road.

These should be games we're favored in order of rank of challenge:

Virginia Tech (Home)
UNLV (Away)
Pitt (Away)
Stanford (Home)
UCONN (Home)
Holy Cross (Home)

These are the tough games where the point spread will be tight that we have left in my opinion (order of rank):

1) Miami (Home) - looks to be the cream of the crop team in the ACC this year, however their key win so far was a pounding of UF at UF. However, UF hasn't looked that great. UF plays Texas A&M this week so that should be a good comparative measuring stick.

2) Cal (Away) - Looked strong against Auburn at Auburn, stout defense and good running game. West coast travel, playing away additional factors. Also thought they were well coached.

3) BC (Away) - BOB coaching, away game, BC similar to Cal looks to be fundamentally sound for defense and the running game. Signature win so far over a bad FSU team, but it was on the road. They are at Missouri and then have Michigan St at home the next 2 weeks so we should learn a lot more about them soon.

4) NC St (Away) - tough loss last week, but still a quality ACC team that we have to play on the road.

Virginia Tech (Home)
UNLV (Away)
Pitt (Away)
Stanford (Home)
UCONN (Home)
Holy Cross (Home)
BC/Cuse both ranked at same time for a game... 94?

UNLV will be a good game but they've played lousy competition. Houston was a disorganized dumpster fire when they played, and Utah Tech is equivalent to scrimmaging against walk-ons. Who knows how good they really are.
By the end of the season, not many teams will have seen a better offense than SU”s. It’s the best of my time as a fan or of my available memory, whichever you prefer. I keep watching and seeing an OL that’s giving McCord time, receivers that snatch the ball out of the air, and runners that can catch the “darts” thrown by McCord all over the field. Nixon’’a offense is really working.

I watched a GT fan’s podcast after the game. He was nothing but complementary of SU’s offense, with so many playmakers melded with McCord’s accuracy. He talked of the various looks of Nixon’s offense, with four receivers going straight downfield at times and with complex crossing patterns at times as well. He bemoaned that GT had no way to deal with it. He was impressed and so am I.

In that hypothetical matchup of 11-0 Miami and 11-0 Cuse, the loser of that matchup would likely be out of contention for the ACC title game.

I view conference title games as de facto round 1 of the playoff as far as I'm concerned.

And I just realized that 11-1 Syracuse would probably be in the playoff regardless... which goes back to the question of would coaches sit their star players once the playoff is a lock?

(it's refreshing to be able to indulge in these fantasies and not be labeled a crazy person... just a week ago the tone around here was a lot more subdued following Ohio)
It's almost as if it is possible to improve on some aspects after one game. Who would have thought?

11-0 vs 11-0 the loser almost likely has a H2H tie breaker vs another 1 loss school if there is one. If one team didn’t play the other 1 loss school that means they need to win the game while the other 11-0 team is playing for absolutely nothing and would just wear down their squad before a rematch with a playoff bye on the line.

Cal has a tough schedule coming up. Hopefully they lose to FSU and sneak up on Miami.

I know they just took down Auburn but I bet they drop one of Oregon St or San Diego state just not like them to win both.

Virginia Tech (Home)
UNLV (Away)
Pitt (Away)
Stanford (Home)
UCONN (Home)
Holy Cross (Home)
One real measure of the success of this team will be the ability to win big games on the road. Miami will be the best team we’ll face, but at least that game is in the dome. Cal, BC, NC State, and UNLV all on the road will all be big challenges. The dome is a big advantage…

It's almost as if it is possible to improve on some aspects after one game. Who would have thought?
I admit I was not expecting E Rob to make those moves. Really changed my outlook and gives me hope that the defense can continue to improve week-to-week if we can keep politics at bay. I really think the main weak link, aside from Wax being out, is the insistence on starting 00 at safety. Am I the only one that thinks he was given preferential treatment because he is from Jersey? I've already suggested a position switch, so let's see if that happens soon.

One real measure of the success of this team will be the ability to win big games on the road. Miami will be the best team we’ll face, but at least that game is in the dome. Cal, BC, NC State, and UNLV all on the road will all be big challenges. The dome is a big advantage…
Of those 4 road games, only at NC St will be considered a tough atmosphere. That works in our favor. No disrespect to the actual opponents, just talking home field advantage/crowd noise, etc.

The time zone trip to Las Vegas has major distraction written all over it, though. If they're staying at the Bellagio it's going to be a problem no matter what HCFB says. Personally, I'd blindfold the team and find lodging way off the strip away from the lights.

Last edited:
Of those 4 road games, only at NC St will be considered a tough atmosphere. That works in our favor. No disrespect to the actual opponents, just talking home field advantage/crowd noise, etc.

The time zone trip to Las Vegas has major distraction written all over it, though. If they're staying at the Bellagio it's going to be a problem no matter what HCFB says. Personally, I'd blindfold the team and find lodging way off the strip away from the lights.
I think in one Fran's pressers he was already asked about where they will stay, and it's about an hour away from the strip. I'm not worried that he'll have this team fully locked in for this game. It could very well be a top 25 matchup.

I think in one Fran's pressers he was already asked about where they will stay, and it's about an hour away from the strip. I'm not worried that he'll have this team fully locked in for this game. It could very well be a top 25 matchup.
THIS is certainly possible if UNLV beats Kansas and we take care of Stanford. Nice must-see viewing for Cuse fans on Friday the 13th. It's nice to have an interest in watching games of upcoming opponents again. Haven't had that feeling in YEARS.

If we are 11-0, Miami is 11-0, and we play a close game then we likely would make the playoff if Miami wins the ACC CG.

The problem is at 11-1, SU would likely be in the ACC CG too. The only only contenders would be an 8-0 ACC Clemson or an 11-1 Louisville, who still has GA Tech, at Notre Dame, SMU, at UVA, at BC, at Clemson, at Stanford, Pitt, at Kentucky. Is Louisville really winning every one of those?

Do you just look at a poster’s name and go through your list of canned replies?

Yeah, it's too bad this place can't keep things less personal, etc. at times and simply just debate the arguments, subject matter, etc. It's very old...but the the usual suspects here are going to do what they do.

Do you just look at a poster’s name and go through your list of canned replies?

No need when you post the same thing in every single forum just flip around the names and the sport.

Yeah, it's too bad this place can't keep things less personal, etc. at times and simply just debate the arguments, subject matter, etc.

The intentional repetitive criticism , without logic tied to it, leaves nothing to debate. Not to mention its across every forum and it’s all the same.

The intentional repetitive criticism , without logic tied to it, leaves nothing to debate. Not to mention its across every forum and it’s all the same.

Well that's your opinion. And, if you truly feel that way towards a poster, etc. simply choose not to respond. If you do choose to respond, then work harder at keeping it on point, debating the subject matter, etc., vs. spewing personal garbage. We all maintain the voluntary power within to do so.

Well that's your opinion. And, if you truly feel that way towards a poster, etc. simply choose not to respond. If you do choose to respond, then work harder at keeping it on point, debating the subject matter, etc., vs. spewing personal garbage. We all maintain the voluntary power within to do so.

So the response is to throw a condescending response with instructions? Got it.

There’s not a person on this forum who’s going to forget the two decades of disappointment on the football side. I’ll just leave it at that.

Primm, Mt. Charelston, or Pahrump? Not many places an hour from the strip and nowhere I'd really want to stay other than Mt Charelston.

We need to get the the acc championship game. Get to the game and we only need to win that game to get in. I want Miami FSU and Clemson to somehow play themselves out of the championship game.

Primm, Mt. Charelston, or Pahrump? Not many places an hour from the strip and nowhere I'd really want to stay other than Mt Charelston.
It's prolly like Green Valley. Doubt it really is an hour away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom