The Downside - Virginia | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Virginia

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Fate is strange I’d love it if the 2010 and 2012 teams were our two Final Four teams this decade. Instead we get 2013 and 2016, two teams that are clearly worse with a lesser chance to win it.

- Kenny Smith said that “We didn’t see how athletic these Syracuse players are until they went to the press.” Why can’t JB see that the press is a major weapon for this team, one that we don’t have to wait until we are down 15 to use? Why can’t he see how Coach Q’s team can use the press and still get back into their zone. Even if we don’t get out-right steals, we speed things up and take the other team – even a senior- laden Virginia team that had won 89 games in the last three years and owned us- out of their comfort zone. Barkley just said “They want to drive about 55 and the press put them up to about 65 and they crashed”.

- We don’t deserve to be here because we lost to St. John’s. Monmouth would have won by more. :mad:

- 25-13 would normally be a “down year”. Remember last year when people speculated that we took the NCAA penalty then because our team was obviously going nowhere anyway? That team had 13 losses, too.

I loved Kenny Smith's commentary... I think that's the biggest frustration a lot of fans have about JB. But in his defense if you play only 6.5 to 7 guys you really can't sustain a press for more than 2 minutes as JB stated. But I do hope JB's biggest takeaway from this year is that if you have better athletes that the other guys exploit it by pressuring the other guys and speeding up the game.

One other downside... Tonight increased the chances of us losing Lydon and Richardson early to the pros from less than 10% to something that I will actually worry about until the deadline to pullout passes.

Why can’t JB see that the press is a major weapon for this team, one that we don’t have to wait until we are down 15 to use? Why can’t he see how Coach Q’s team can use the press and still get back into their zone.

I said this earlier today watching the girls wreck Tennessee fullcourt. JB would have to recruit legit players 8-13 and do hockey line shifts. I like Q's attention to analytics and playing the percentages. I just don't think JB can get down like that. It would require him to have trust in more than the first 6 guys.

Tonight increased the chances of us losing Lydon and Richardson early to the pros from less than 10% to something that I will actually worry about until the deadline to pullout passes.

I think there's almost no way they don't at least submit their names now.

I said this earlier today watching the girls wreck Tennessee fullcourt. JB would have to recruit legit players 8-13 and do hockey line shifts. I like Q's attention to analytics and playing the percentages. I just don't think JB can get down like that. It would require him to have trust in more than the first 6 guys.

I'm not talking about pressing for 40 minutes. Just use it out of a half or a time-out or to put teams away.

I'm not talking about pressing for 40 minutes. Just use it out of a half or a time-out or to put teams away.
Oh definitely, it should be used more strategically than just "panic press". But I'd like to see them be even more aggressive with it. Maybe not 40 minutes of hell, but 20 minutes of heck. The opportunity to create more possessions would allow for a much larger margin of error.

- Fate is strange I’d love it if the 2010 and 2012 teams were our two Final Four teams this decade. Instead we get 2013 and 2016, two teams that are clearly worse with a lesser chance to win it.

- Kenny Smith said that “We didn’t see how athletic these Syracuse players are until they went to the press.” Why can’t JB see that the press is a major weapon for this team, one that we don’t have to wait until we are down 15 to use? Why can’t he see how Coach Q’s team can use the press and still get back into their zone. Even if we don’t get out-right steals, we speed things up and take the other team – even a senior- laden Virginia team that had won 89 games in the last three years and owned us- out of their comfort zone. Barkley just said “They want to drive about 55 and the press put them up to about 65 and they crashed”.

- We don’t deserve to be here because we lost to St. John’s. Monmouth would have won by more. :mad:

- 25-13 would normally be a “down year”. Remember last year when people speculated that we took the NCAA penalty then because our team was obviously going nowhere anyway? That team had 13 losses, too.

Thought that exact same thing.

Oh definitely, it should be used more strategically than just "panic press". But I'd like to see them be even more aggressive with it. Maybe not 40 minutes of hell, but 20 minutes of heck. The opportunity to create more possessions would allow for a much larger margin of error.

Heck, I'd go for 10 strategically placed minutes of heck.

Seriously ? We want to have JB emulate Q? I would agree if JB played against girls teams. However -- there is no comparison, at all, and "Q" has won what over this career? Having seen the Monkey for oh so many years we need to remember that it doesn't work most of the time.

Guess I'm shocked about the game as you probably were and this is the first point you have made that I don't agree with in my history of reading upside/downside.

Keep up the good work.

I agree 110%, I'd love to see the press earlier in games for a couple minutes here or there. Especially when the offense is stagnating, because the press can get us out in transition which leads to easier buckets. Especially since our teams often have athletic wing players that are a threat running the floor off the alley oop or to take a pass and attack the basket, but not much of a threat in the half court, such as Roberson.

I get why JB doesn't like to go into it in those spots - when your defense is as good as ours is, giving up an easy layup when they break the press is pretty tough to swallow, but the tradeoff of a chance to spark a struggling offense makes it worthwhile. Also, when you're a heavy underdog, you should be willing to take more risks to increase the variance factor in the game. It's kind of like it always frustrated me early in Marrone's tenure when he'd punt on 4th and short against a much better team. Sometimes, it's right to take a chance in a spot when you know you probably need to catch a couple breaks and shake things up to win.

This is not JB's first, or last, use of the press. When we won it all in 2003 it was Jeremy McNeil's role to protect the basket when we pressed. He was back there a fair bit.

I think the press is great when used as JB does -- sparingly. When a press defense becomes the new normal teams will adjust. Also, Bennett f-Ed up by blowing his timeouts early. He couldn't stop what was happening on the floor and coach his players into a couple buckets to break the momentum. JB lulled him into a false sense of security.

I loved Kenny Smith's commentary... I think that's the biggest frustration a lot of fans have about JB. But in his defense if you play only 6.5 to 7 guys you really can't sustain a press for more than 2 minutes as JB stated. But I do hope JB's biggest takeaway from this year is that if you have better athletes that the other guys exploit it by pressuring the other guys and speeding up the game.

One other downside... Tonight increased the chances of us losing Lydon and Richardson early to the pros from less than 10% to something that I will actually worry about until the deadline to pullout passes.

The counter upside to this is there is a more formal evaluation process now so they can go in get advice and still withdraw and return. That gives me more hope that they will be back. Had this been last year I think one or the other leaves and then doesn't get taken in the first round.

The only people who have a downside in all of this is the NCAA. This is the ultimate middle finger salute to that organization. Awww, sorry we may be making you look like you penalties may not really work or make a difference.

The counter upside to this is there is a more formal evaluation process now so they can go in get advice and still withdraw and return. That gives me more hope that they will be back. Had this been last year I think one or the other leaves and then doesn't get taken in the first round.

They will both be back

Seriously ? We want to have JB emulate Q? I would agree if JB played against girls teams. However -- there is no comparison, at all, and "Q" has won what over this career? Having seen the Monkey for oh so many years we need to remember that it doesn't work most of the time.

Guess I'm shocked about the game as you probably were and this is the first point you have made that I don't agree with in my history of reading upside/downside.

Keep up the good work.

OK, let's have him emulate Pitino.

I liked it better at the end as an ambush.

The only people who have a downside in all of this is the NCAA. This is the ultimate middle finger salute to that organization. Awww, sorry we may be making you look like you penalties may not really work or make a difference.

are you back in AZ yet? or heading to watch the girls?
I've been wanting to come to the watch but i'm afraid I'm bad luck when i do come LOL

are you back in AZ yet? or heading to watch the girls?
I've been wanting to come to the watch but i'm afraid I'm bad luck when i do come LOL
On my way back to AZ now. Have to wash my Orange clothes. Going to Indy on Saturday for the women's NCAA Final Four. I understand we are overflowing the back room there.

On my way back to AZ now. Have to wash my Orange clothes. Going to Indy on Saturday for the women's NCAA Final Four. I understand we are overflowing the back room there.

so glad you are going! You are the girl's good luck charm!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom