The Downside- Virginia | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Virginia

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Virginia had 9 first half offensive rebounds and 7 second half three pointers. That was the game.

- In the last 13:55, we got four field goals. Two from our 5th leading scorer, Rakeem Christmas. Two were from our 9th leading scorer, Tyler Roberson. If that’s not the definition of a dysfunctional offense, I don’t know what is.

- Why do we get so many charging calls? It’s not just the refs. We have such a limited perimeter game that we wind up having to go to the basket for all our points and so there are going to be more collisions in the paint and we aren’t going to get the calls on those plays.

- If they kept track of shooting percentage on shots within 5 feet of the basket, this team might be our worst in memory. We get 2-3 blown lay-ups and 4-5 short-armed floaters, flips and hooks every game. They make a huge difference.

- Since the first Duke game, (and our #1 ranking) we have scored 61, 57, 58, 56, 59, 60, 57 and 56 points. I’ve been watching Syracuse basketball since the 1960’s and I have never seen a stretch like this. I’ve never seen any good team have a stretch like this. And it’s not just the pace. Virginia had one less possession than we did and scored 75 points.

- What can we do to score more points? We are so thin that JB doesn’t want his players expending too much energy pressuring the other team. I’m not just talking about a full court press. We don’t even do much of the half-court trapping that has been a staple of the zone. The foul trouble we get in because we have to force it inside also limits our options. Yes, it would help to get Grant back but he was there and healthy though most of the last 8 games and we still didn’t score. So the recurring nightmare that is our offense will continue to haunt us.

- Nice work off the offensive boards by Baye Keita. Three offensive rebounds and he immediately gave the ball back to the other team on two of them.

- After being silent all season the “experts” are now coming out of the woodwork with their analysis of our problems and prescriptions to fix it. Their primary complaint: Boeheim didn’t play enough guys and now we have no depth so we are gassed at the end of games. JB insists that the player have to earn the playing time by the way they practice. He hasn’t been satisfied with Tyler Roberson’s practices. He doesn’t trust Ron Patterson’s shot or his judgment and BJ Johnson just isn’t ready. Whether you trust his judgment or not, (I do: he’s in the Hall of Fame and is in the Melo Center, too and I’m not), I don’t expect the situation to change any time soon, Tyler’s two buckets in garbage time notwithstanding.

- This team has always been fragile, even when we were 25-0. We just don’t have the firepower or the depth to be a really good team. We won a bunch of close ones and now we are losing games. Things are evening out and that puts us on the short end of the stick right now.

- Georgia Tech and Florida State are not that good but ti doesn’t matter who we play. Every game is difficult for this team. We could wind up 29-3, 15-3 or it could be 26-5, 13-5. We could lose in the first round of the ACC tournament and will be vulnerable that first weekend in the NCAAs. Every game is on the table for this team. The opposition isn’t going to be a cure for our woes.

-
- In the last 13:55, we got four field goals. Two from our 5th leading scorer, Rakeem Christmas. Two were from our 9th leading scorer, Tyler Roberson. If that’s not the definition of a dysfunctional offense, I don’t know what is.

I did a quick count myself - not entirely sure how accurate this is, but I had us going 4-17 in the last 10 minutes while UVa went 8 for 12 with 4 3's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom