The Downside - Wake II | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Wake II

SWC75

Bored Historian
- You can’t say the season ended with a whimper because that was a very exciting game but it ended with the sole achievement being to have a winning record. Coming off a losing season, that was an improvement. I said at the beginning of the football season that I wanted all three of our main teams to have winning records because they didn’t last year: anything beyond that was gravy. I like gravy but we got none this year. The football team ended losing 6 of its last 7 games and the basketball team ended losing 5 of it’s last 6. That doesn’t create much optimism.

- Wake decided to devote it’s defense to stopping our “Big Three J’s” and they did a pretty good job of it, even if they eventually got their numbers. Jesse Edwards got off only eight shots and Judah Mintz and Joe Girard were 9 for 29. Their teammates did surprisingly well making the Deacons pay for that focus but it wasn’t quite good enough to win the game. Joe actually had some good numbers: 9 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists but his 6 missed field goals (2 for 8) and his 4 turnovers all seemed to come at critical times.

- We lost it inside the arc: We shot 15 for 47 on two point shots, just 32%. There were all kinds of blown lay-ups and missed short jumpers. Ironically, we were supposed to be at a disadvantage outside the arc but shot 59% there and out-scored our opponents from there for the first time in 12 games.

- I’m always disappointed when other teams get more fast break points than we do, recalling as I do the golden years of the 80’s. Wake got 21 to our 10. I love Judah but he tends to dribble the ball up too much.

- Looking at our box score, how many of those players will be in the next one?

- Much has already been said about what transpired after the game. I’ll just say that with the portal opening up on Monday, we need our full coaching staff know to prospective players by then and Jim playing games with his departure to waggle a job out of Wildhack or Severud was beneath him. Nonetheless, the realization that Jim’s incredible tenure here has come to an end is sad and kind of unnerving. At the same time, I’m glad to walk through the door into the new era and see what it’s like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom