The Dream Team | Syracusefan.com

The Dream Team

Bayside44

Did anyone catch the documentary on the NBA Network? Talk about the ultimate man camp (not like that Chip)

Did anyone catch the documentary on the NBA Network? Talk about the ultimate man camp (not like that Chip)

Yes, I loved it. Misc. observations...

-I never really appreciated how ridiculous people dressed in the early 90s.
-Barkley was a douche for elbowing that guy who weighed 150 lbs.
-I loved the fun rivalry between Magic and MJ - and thought it was cool at the practice where they picked teams and squared off in a 5 on 5 48 minute game. MJ/Pippen/Mullin/Barkley/Ewing vs. Stockton/Magic/Drexler/Malone/Admiral. Bird sat out because of his back, Laettner sat out because well, he stunk in comparison.
-46-1 run vs. Angola, are you kidding me?
-The players of the opposing teams were so in awe of the Dream Team that they wanted to take pictures prior to tipoff.

I had heard about the Dream Team losing to the college kids (Webber looked crazy and Hurley was fast as heck) but that's the first time I heard about Daley throwing the game. Magic's interviews were awesome, and that might be the only time I've seen Jordan seem human when he walked around Barcelona so early just talking to people and walking in the stadium talking about guys like Edwin Moses. I am the right age, those are the guys I grew up watching, Chris Mullin was my first hoops hero, it was just a fantastic show.

I had heard about the Dream Team losing to the college kids (Webber looked crazy and Hurley was fast as heck) but that's the first time I heard about Daley throwing the game. Magic's interviews were awesome, and that might be the only time I've seen Jordan seem human when he walked around Barcelona so early just talking to people and walking in the stadium talking about guys like Edwin Moses. I am the right age, those are the guys I grew up watching, Chris Mullin was my first hoops hero, it was just a fantastic show.

Some of my own insignificant thoughts:
  • Yeah, Magic's interviews were great. Even as a lifelong Celtics fan, I would be hard pressed to find someone cooler than Magic. He's impossible to hate (Kareem on the other hand...).
  • I hadn't heard of Daly throwing the game either. I don't think we will ever know for sure. Does anyone know the roster for the select team?
  • The clip of Stockton walking uncontested was classic. I read one book about the Dream Team asking if people recognized him and he said "it depends who I'm with."
  • That team was truly incredible. Although the world has made progress in terms of basketball, I'm still not sure that team would lose any games today.

Working off memory from that picture - Hurley, Montross, Weber, Hill, Houston...clearly missing some guys.

I thought it was funny how a lot of them disrepcted Isiah Thomas cause of his tatics. That was the main reason I could never stand him as a player. He is very two faced.

I forgot how intense the Isiah/Michael stuff was back in the day.

Today, all these guys in the NBA are all buddies and go to each others charity events and parties. Hell, Durant and Lebron worked out together this past summer. It's such a different culture now.

Penny went to Memphis State

no I knew that... just meant between Hill, Hurley, and Laettner on the main squad, and of course Coach K, Duke was well represented...

I just came across this awesome Dream Team vs college team recap, etc. by Jamal Mashburn. We've all heard about the first game against the college team, the scoreboard being turned off, Chuck Daly, and so on. But Mash gets into some classic Bird trash talk and backing it up... (PSA: some language in case kids are around)

I just came across this awesome Dream Team vs college team recap, etc. by Jamal Mashburn. We've all heard about the first game against the college team, the scoreboard being turned off, Chuck Daly, and so on. But Mash gets into some classic Bird trash talk and backing it up... (PSA: some language in case kids are around)

OK - this is fantastic! Hysterical.

That Mashburn story about Bird and Magic is great. It's like when you're letting your little brother win, and then he starts trash taking, and you have to show him the truth.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom