The Drive Home Was Horrible (81-S) | Syracusefan.com

The Drive Home Was Horrible (81-S)

JoeyZ

Walk On
I hope all posters were able to get home safely. I left Syracuse thinking things were okay-ish. But from Exit 15 to Exit 13 on 81-S, it was just horrific. It took me two and a half hours to get to Apalachin, which is normally 1 hr. 15. min.

I hope it was fine to the north, but that was one of the, if not the, worst drives home for me in 20 years of going to Cuse games.

I headed north of the Thruway near Great Northern Mall and the roads were snowy but passable if going the right speed. Saw a tractor trailer on 81N that was encased in snow so I worried that south of the city was getting it worse. Glad you made it home safely.

Glad you got back ok Joey. Great running into you today.

Yeah that was a dicey drive back to Cicero.

I'm pretty sure all the plow drivers were watching the game.

Should have driven with you, Joey. 3 hours for us to Johnson City. Had a packed bag and an invitation to stay at my sister's in Camillus, but it wasn't terrible when we left. Got onto 81 then a couple miles before LaFayette all hell broke loose. Complete whiteout and passed a bus and tractor trailer literally spinning their wheels in the middle of the highway. Decided to get off in LaFayette but drove right past the exit without seeing it. Been making this drive for 34 years and easily one of the 3 worst I've ever been through.

Should have driven with you, Joey. 3 hours for us to Johnson City. Had a packed bag and an invitation to stay at my sister's in Camillus, but it wasn't terrible when we left. Got onto 81 then a couple miles before LaFayette all hell broke loose. Complete whiteout and passed a bus and tractor trailer literally spinning their wheels in the middle of the highway. Decided to get off in LaFayette but drove right past the exit without seeing it. Been making this drive for 34 years and easily one of the 3 worst I've ever been through.

So you jump off in Tully instead?

Nah. Soldiered on and got home about 11:45. Probably not the smartest decision but as long as things kept moving, so did we.

I am also from Apalachin and was driving consigliore. He was right. It was the worst I have been through for fifteen years going to Cuse games.
2 1/2 hours Sat was really good.

It seems that when there's a snowstorm, the epicenter is always exit 14 or 15 on I 81 (my neighborhood...lucky me).

The walk through Oakwood Cemetery was safe and pleasant.

Seriously, I was glad to avoid a long drive after the game. I did about 15 minutes of shoveling the sidewalk and part of the driveway when we got back and it got wintry in a hurry. The highways must have been in bad shape - there's no clearing snow when it's windy and snowing that hard.

The most intense white-out I've ever seen was in Westvale by the time I got there. Visibility was down to 5 feet or less, thankfully that didn't last too long. Only a few minutes at that intensity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom