The dummy who posted about Craft... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The dummy who posted about Craft...

I don't think they plan on making 45,000 tickets available regardless of who is playing there.

Capacity is pretty close to that #. You don't think they'd sell those tickets if they could?

Capacity is pretty close to that #. You don't think they'd sell those tickets if they could?
Seating chart showing does not equal 45K.

I understand that they keep teams close to home if at all possible. My only point was that I think it's possible, though not likely, for Indiana to get a 1 seed and not be sent to Indy.

Seating chart showing does not equal 45K.

What does it show then? In 2006 at the F4 they had close to 44K in attendance. In 2009 they only had 33K with some prime time teams there. You said they'd sell out no matter who plays there but they didn't come close to selling out in 2009. Regionals are held in domes all of the time and they rarely sell out. Getting much more than 30K is not easy unless you have a local powerhouse or maybe UK or UNC.

I understand that they keep teams close to home if at all possible. My only point was that I think it's possible, though not likely, for Indiana to get a 1 seed and not be sent to Indy.

We just disagree. No biggie. If IU is a #1 seed and it's kosher for IU to play in Indy then why wouldn't they put them there?They maximize attendance for a regional that is highly unlikely to sell out otherwise.

We just disagree. No biggie. If IU is a #1 seed and it's kosher for IU to play in Indy then why wouldn't they put them there?They maximize attendance for a regional that is highly unlikely to sell out otherwise.

Only way it would work would be if someone passes them in the pecking order and has Indy as the closest site. Won't be easy at this point in the season

Look, you're talking about a 5,000 ticket discrepancy, max. Maybe the difference is zero, but let's say 5,000. These will be, by definition, the least desirable, and cheapest of the seats remaining, which is $90 combined over two days. So you are suggesting the NCAA, which signed a multibillion contract with CBS/TBS a couple of years ago would decide to jeopardize the integrity of their greatest money maker for a theoretical $450,000?

Only way it would work would be if someone passes them in the pecking order and has Indy as the closest site. Won't be easy at this point in the season

Yeah I don't think IU is a lock for the #1 as they still have business to take care of but the teams that are battling for that #1 seed tend to be much further away from Indy- Duke and KU for example.

Look, you're talking about a 5,000 ticket discrepancy, max. Maybe the difference is zero, but let's say 5,000. These will be, by definition, the least desirable, and cheapest of the seats remaining, which is $90 combined over two days. So you are suggesting the NCAA, which signed a multibillion contract with CBS/TBS a couple of years ago would decide to jeopardize the integrity of their greatest money maker for a theoretical $450,000?

LOL. You haven't watched them much over the years much have you? You're damn right they'll maximize the do re me. I agree with you that it is goofy in the context of the overall money made but your claim that the ncaa would never do such a thing made me nearly break my ribs I was laughing so hard.

Ask OU as a #1 seed how they felt playing lower seeded SU in Albany in 2003. Plenty of integrity shown there. Then in 1999 SU has to play MSU a few miles from their home at The Palace. History is littered with examples of the NCAA going for the buck over integrity by allowing teams to play in their back yard. It's complete BS but it happens nearly every year.

LOL. You haven't watched them much over the years much have you? You're damn right they'll maximize the do re me. I agree with you that it is goofy in the context of the overall money made but your claim that the ncaa would never do such a thing made me nearly break my ribs I was laughing so hard.

Ask OU as a #1 seed how they felt playing lower seeded SU in Albany in 2003. Plenty of integrity shown there. Then in 1999 SU has to play MSU a few miles from their home at The Palace. History is littered with examples of the NCAA going for the buck over integrity by allowing teams to play in their back yard. It's complete BS but it happens nearly every year.

The only thing you should be lol'ing about is yourself, i'm afraid.
First we should put to rest the often cited "few miles" reference. It's 81 miles from East Lansing to Detroit. Second, the top 3 teams from a conference must be placed in different regions. Texas beat Oklahoma TWICE in '03, and was seeded higher, thus receiving the San Antonio region. Kentucky and Arizona were easily the # 1 and #2 teams in the country in the regular season, so they got the Midwest and West, respectively. Leaving, shockingly, the East.

The only thing you should be lol'ing about is yourself, i'm afraid.
First we should put to rest the often cited "few miles" reference. It's 81 miles from East Lansing to Detroit. Second, the top 3 teams from a conference must be placed in different regions. Texas beat Oklahoma TWICE in '03, and was seeded higher, thus receiving the San Antonio region. Kentucky and Arizona were easily the # 1 and #2 teams in the country in the regular season, so they got the Midwest and West, respectively. Leaving, shockingly, the East.

I said up above that only one highly seeded B10 team will be in the midwest.

Texas beating OU is meaningless. Why did SU have to play in Albany? Was the NCAA acting with integrity when they forced OU to have to play the lower seeded SU in Albany. Why should the #1 seed have to play essentially a road game in the NCAA tournament? Worked out great for us SU fans but integrity? LOL.

With respect to where SU plays come tourney time, IMO, it will be far from home as no one will have our backs when the door closes on selection Sunday. I guarantee the BE will not be lobbying for us after JB's "BE was dumb" comments after the Marquette presser. The ACC will be fighting for their current teams. Meanwhile, Louisville will be playing close to home because of the almighty dollar. I would not be surprised to see Pitt in Philly if they finish strong in the BE tourney because of the $$$ factor.

I said up above that only one highly seeded B10 team will be in the midwest.

Texas beating OU is meaningless. Why did SU have to play in Albany? Was the NCAA acting with integrity when they forced OU to have to play the lower seeded SU in Albany. Why should the #1 seed have to play essentially a road game in the NCAA tournament? Worked out great for us SU fans but integrity? LOL.

With some of the times SU has been the higher seed and essentially played a road game (1991 vs. Richmond at Cole Field House, 2005 vs. Vermont in Worcester) I consider us square after the 2003 Albany regionals. Also they could have played that game in Norman and Hollis Price would have still been perplexed by the zone. I've searched but can't find a picture of him during that game with a bewildered look on his face.

With respect to where SU plays come tourney time, IMO, it will be far from home as no one will have our backs when the door closes on selection Sunday. I guarantee the BE will not be lobbying for us after JB's "BE was dumb" comments after the Marquette presser. The ACC will be fighting for their current teams. Meanwhile, Louisville will be playing close to home because of the almighty dollar. I would not be surprised to see Pitt in Philly if they finish strong in the BE tourney because of the $$$ factor.

Pitt isn't overtaking Duke and G'town for the Philly pod.

With some of the times SU has been the higher seed and essentially played a road game (1991 vs. Richmond at Cole Field House, 2005 vs. Vermont in Worcester) I consider us square after the 2003 Albany regionals. Also they could have played that game in Norman and Hollis Price would have still been perplexed by the zone. I've searched but can't find a picture of him during that game with a bewildered look on his face.

Totally agree with you and you're actually making my point. Poppy Hart was saying that the NCAA would never compromise its integrity by providing a home court advantage to somebody all in pursuit of the dollar. You and I obviously know better because it has happened several times including to SU. We had to play UMass in Worcester back in the mid 1990s. I think it is particularly bad when a lower seed gets a big homecourt edge over a higher seed. That ain't right.

I didn't include the 1992 Umass game since they were a higher seed. That was the season McRae fought the NCAA and won, so the committee under seeded SU as a 6 and made them play everyone's upset alert at the time in Princeton and an essential road game vs. #3 UMass.

Totally agree with you and you're actually making my point. Poppy Hart was saying that the NCAA would never compromise its integrity by providing a home court advantage to somebody all in pursuit of the dollar. You and I obviously know better because it has happened several times including to SU. We had to play UMass in Worcester back in the mid 1990s. I think it is particularly bad when a lower seed gets a big homecourt edge over a higher seed. That ain't right.

Your logic suggests that, unless a team is a #1 seed, they shouldn't be placed in a region anywhere close to home, lest they potentially, unfairly disadvantage the higher (i.e. better) seed.

And doesn't the notion of "protected seed" only apply to the 2nd and 3rd round?

Your logic suggests that, unless a team is a #1 seed, they shouldn't be placed in a region anywhere close to home, lest they potentially, unfairly disadvantage the higher (i.e. better) seed.

And doesn't the notion of "protected seed" only apply to the 2nd and 3rd round?

I guess the key word there is close but in any event all attempts should be made to avoid situations where higher seeds are disadvantaged against lower seeds. I'd take it a step further and not help the high seeds either because as you said, they're making enough cash on the TV that they don't need to fight for every last scrap. But the NCAA could give two sheets about that. How about UConn as a #1 having to play GMU (#11 seed) in the Verizon Center in 2006? That could have easily been avoided.

How about UConn as a #1 having to play GMU (#11 seed) in the Verizon Center in 2006? That could have easily been avoided.

I'm not sure it easily could have been avoided. There are a ton of bracketing principles they need to adhere to, and it's really hard to project out to the final 8. It's one thing to have Syracuse play as a 3 seed in Albany, but can you really plan your bracket around the 11 seed making it to the final 8? it would probably be impossible seed the field if they worried about that

Pitt isn't overtaking Duke and G'town for the Philly pod.

It's a pod they don't have to overtake anyone. I think Pitt goes to Dayton or Philly regardless of seed. IMO opinion SU will be shipped.

It's a pod they don't have to overtake anyone. I think Pitt goes to Dayton or Philly regardless of seed. IMO opinion SU will be shipped.

If Duke gets Philly, then I'm pretty sure there's no way Pitt gets it, because Philly is likely to have a BE team (Gtown?) and if Duke is there as a 1 seed, then Pitt isn't going to be there unless they drop to an 8 or 9 (unlikely) and they won't be seeded to meet up with a BE team in round 2 either.

Dayton is definitely in play though

Edit: I realize Duke could also be a 2 and get Philly, so if Pitt dropped a 7 that would be possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom