The Energy is back | Syracusefan.com

The Energy is back

albanycuse

Dion Waiters
On the recruiting front. Feels good to know the coaches are bringing in who they feel is the best fit without needing approval. Feels good to know we will compete again in the top 25 and better again. The torch is lit. Time to keep running.

I liken this to the Draft vs Free Agency debate in the NFL.

Usually the best teams are the teams that utilize the NFL Draft and have a homegrown roster and only fill certain needs with the Free Agency.

I think too many teams in college have used both ends of the spectrum to the extreme. IMO the best way is to build a college roster is with HS kids and fill in the needs, losses, misses using the transfer portal. I have been very happy with what Red has done on the recruiting front. Which should be what 85-90% of the roster should be formed from. I think Red has struggled with the transfer portal, but hopefully, once these HS players start to fill in the roster. We won’t need as many players from the Transfer Portal.

The 6th year players will be gone, and this will really even out the number of players available in the transfer portal and the advantage you get from those grown men.

I thought Red could have utilized the Transfer portal better to churn the roster in the first couple years before his recruits started to get here but that doesn’t seem to be the case. But I do like the recruits Red is starting to pull in. May take a little longer than we would have liked, but the trajectory is pointing up. Talent generally wins out, and Red took over a roster void of high end talent.

I liken this to the Draft vs Free Agency debate in the NFL.

Usually the best teams are the teams that utilize the NFL Draft and have a homegrown roster and only fill certain needs with the Free Agency.

I think too many teams in college have used both ends of the spectrum to the extreme. IMO the best way is to build a college roster is with HS kids and fill in the needs, losses, misses using the transfer portal. I have been very happy with what Red has done on the recruiting front. Which should be what 85-90% of the roster should be formed from. I think Red has struggled with the transfer portal, but hopefully, once these HS players start to fill in the roster. We won’t need as many players from the Transfer Portal.

The 6th year players will be gone, and this will really even out the number of players available in the transfer portal and the advantage you get from those grown men.

I thought Red could have utilized the Transfer portal better to churn the roster in the first couple years before his recruits started to get here but that doesn’t seem to be the case. But I do like the recruits Red is starting to pull in. May take a little longer than we would have liked, but the trajectory is pointing up. Talent generally wins out, and Red took over a roster void of high end talent.
I think the days of high school recruits coming in and staying for 4 years are pretty much over. There will always be a demand for the top 100 recruits to find a spot and play. It’s the 100+ rated recruits that will find it difficult to find a spot on a high major team. They will likely end up at lower tier schools then use the portal to jump to the high major schools if they’ve proven to be a good (great?) player at the lower level. It will be extremely difficult for lower level programs to compete. You may start to see a D1A (FBS) vs D1AA (FCS) landscape develop.

I like it - seems like emphasis on recruiting goes against the grain of what the fat cats are doing. Keep bringing in some top 50 kids, some development kids, and find bigs in the portal. Might fit our budget better.
That's all fine if Red can keep these HS kids from bolting for a bigger bag after 1 year, but if that strictly comes down to NIL that should be a reason to be concerned. If Freeman shows up on draft boards but isn't a surefire 1st round pick we will be fighting the Buzz Williams of the world yet again.

That's all fine if Red can keep these HS kids from bolting for a bigger bag after 1 year

I don't think he will be able to, and that's not a knock on Red. I wouldn't turn down hundreds of thousands of dollars either to be "loyal" to some school or coach. John Wooden himself couldn't.

In order to keep our good recruits, we need to be able to pay them a big bag ourselves. Hopefully, we get organized on that front.

I think the days of high school recruits coming in and staying for 4 years are pretty much over.
I think this may be generally true in college basketball but not necessarily true for our program.

NIL provides significant incentive to stay in school unless the NBA is a sure thing.

Players happy with their roles and NIL situations can stick around for a while. See UNC.

We could operate like that.

I think this may be generally true in college basketball but not necessarily true for our program.

NIL provides significant incentive to stay in school unless the NBA is a sure thing.

Players happy with their roles and NIL situations can stick around for a while. See UNC.

Pretty sure UNC has much more nil to throw at them. And Brown seemed happy here, was quoted as planning to return a week before he left. Not sure why you feel it’s not necessarily a problem we just had 8 guys go portal.

How much NIL does UCONN have to throw around? They should be our model.

"Drawing a sweeping conclusion about results from the often random NCAA Tournament is a dicey proposition. But for the second straight year, the Final Four is noticeably light on blue-chip recruits. Last year’s quartet of UConn, San Diego State, Florida Atlantic and Miami didn’t feature a single McDonald’s All-American. This year’s group — UConn, Purdue, NC State and Alabama — has just one McDonald’s All-American and/or five-star recruit: Connecticut’s Stephon Castle. There’s not another top-35 recruit, per the 247Sports Composite, who didn’t transfer in on any of the rosters.

Veterans, not freshmen, continue to be a winning formula. We looked at the top rotation players from each Final Four squad to see how each team went about assembling its roster (in alphabetical order)."
brian bennet.

bama 6 transfers. uconn 3 transfers . nc st 7 transfers. purdue 1.

Pretty sure UNC has much more nil to throw at them. And Brown seemed happy here, was quoted as planning to return a week before he left. Not sure why you feel it’s not necessarily a problem we just had 8 guys go portal.
Because I'm not focusing on the count I'm focusing on what we know of the individual cases.

How much NIL does UCONN have to throw around? They should be our model.
Yes. Winning NC's should be our model. Players like to play for a winner.

On the recruiting front. Feels good to know the coaches are bringing in who they feel is the best fit without needing approval. Feels good to know we will compete again in the top 25 and better again. The torch is lit. Time to keep running.
Che ci fai a Roma?

Sei in pensione?

We talking BD energy?
South Carolina Chicken GIF by University of South Carolina

Red knows we can’t win without top talent and actually going out on the road himself and showing a lot of love to the players he wants. Something we’ve been missing for a long time.
It's standard procedure for head coaches who want top talent. This isn't a new fad.

A recruiting win definitely helps with the energy. Getting good players will hopefully mean better teams going forward. However, I'm not going to get too excited over any individual player and assume we have him for more than a year. It's great that White will be here for 2025. Who knows if he'll be here after that. I think the days of recruiting a high school kid and having him stay into his upperclassman years (e.g. Chris Bell) is going to be a rare occasion.

Money is always going to always talk. Kids getting more lucrative "job offers" (NIL) elsewhere and jumping ship is going to be the norm.

On a good note, this new era also enables Red to give "the talk" to a player that clearly has fallen out of their plans and allow him to transfer out versus taking up a scholarship for additional years. Makes recruiting "misses" a little easier to deal with.

Off the top of my head I can’t recall the last player we’ve had that stayed for all four years of their eligibility. I know Edwards and JGIII stayed for four years but then ultimately used their last year at another school, so there’s a bit of an asterisk with those two.

I’m guessing (hopeful?) Bell stays and plays all four years.

Regardless, our players are using the portal as evidenced by this past cycle. We need to be prepared that they will jump ship for better NIL opportunities

Off the top of my head I can’t recall the last player we’ve had that stayed for all four years of their eligibility. I know Edwards and JGIII stayed for four years but then ultimately used their last year at another school, so there’s a bit of an asterisk with those two.

I’m guessing (hopeful?) Bell stays and plays all four years.

Regardless, our players are using the portal as evidenced by this past cycle. We need to be prepared that they will jump ship for better NIL opportunities
Buddy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom