The fact we lost isn't shocking its the fact our offense looks so DAMN BAD is ridlicious | Syracusefan.com

The fact we lost isn't shocking its the fact our offense looks so DAMN BAD is ridlicious

Alsacs

Living Legend
Honestly, whenever we are on offense the opposing coaches must be laughing at how atrocious we look out there. I mean I am absolutely FLOORED whenever we do something right because we look like a clown show on offense, and that is unbelievable. The OL and RB positions have enough talent out there we shouldn't look this bad, and whenever we get to 3rd and LONG its OVER. This offense is probably in bottom 10 in the nation at being able to convert 3rd and 8+ yards. Our offense is so bad and puts so much stress on this defense its infuriating.

The defense plays its a$$ off again and the freaking offense kills them again. The defense has looked bad against Northwestern, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech but name me 1 game the offense won for the defense, and the answer is ZERO. Hunt GIVES ME NO CONFIDENCE THE FREAKING KID CAN EXECUTE AGAINST ANY DECENT D-1 DEFENSE FOR 4 QUARTERS. Again, I don't care lost because Pitt isn't good or bad, but the fact we lost because this offense SUCKED and I REPEAT SUCKED and the freaking kicker missed a FG and had an XP block ruins my weekend. I have no confidence in this offense AT ALL and really shouldn't struggle this badly its so infuriating we have the RBs, but the QB position is so bad right now and the coaching gives me no hope to beat the Clowns next weekend.

We have scored 17 pts, 27 pts, 14pts, 24pts, 0 pts, 13pts, 20pts, 3pts, 16 pts against BCS competition this season. For a grand total 144 points/9 games equals 16ppg which is a BLEEPING JOKE.

And let's just come out and say it...SU hasn't beaten a decent team all year.

The schedule was tough but its not killer. FSU and Clemson I can forgive those blowouts. They are on a different planet than us. I get it. But the rest of the schedule was not that tough.

Hunt actually showed a lot more touch on his passes today than I've ever seen.
It still sucked but there was a tiny glimmer of promise.

We aren't a good enough team to leave 4 points on the board against a good Pitt team. We played well enough to win on both sides of the ball today. It wasn't pretty, but the offense played well enough to win. We lost this game on special teams. Period.

Honestly, whenever we are on offense the opposing coaches must be laughing at how atrocious we look out there. I mean I am absolutely FLOORED whenever we do something right because we look like a clown show on offense, and that is unbelievable. The OL and RB positions have enough talent out there we shouldn't look this bad, and whenever we get to 3rd and LONG its OVER. This offense is probably in bottom 10 in the nation at being able to convert 3rd and 8+ yards. Our offense is so bad and puts so much stress on this defense its infuriating.

The defense plays its a$$ off again and the freaking offense kills them again. The defense has looked bad against Northwestern, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech but name me 1 game the offense won for the defense, and the answer is ZERO. Hunt GIVES ME NO CONFIDENCE THE FREAKING KID CAN EXECUTE AGAINST ANY DECENT D-1 DEFENSE FOR 4 QUARTERS. Again, I don't care lost because Pitt isn't good or bad, but the fact we lost because this offense SUCKED and I REPEAT SUCKED and the freaking kicker missed a FG and had an XP block ruins my weekend. I have no confidence in this offense AT ALL and really shouldn't struggle this badly its so infuriating we have the RBs, but the QB position is so bad right now and the coaching gives me no hope to beat the Clowns next weekend.

We have scored 17 pts, 27 pts, 14pts, 24pts, 0 pts, 13pts, 20pts, 3pts, 16 pts against BCS competition this season. For a grand total 144 points/9 games equals 16ppg which is a BLEEPING JOKE.

The OL position has enough talent?

We are what are record says we are. No more, no less. This team is hamstrung by a lack of playmakers on offense (QB/WR). The defense can stop mediocre offenses and at times be dominant.

We'll have one more game to get 15 extra practices. We are still good vs the run.

If our kicker makes the field goal, we win, or we have someone catch catchable balls for 2 more touchdowns. That's a total of 15 points not counting the missed extra point, we left on the field because our players don't make plays. That's not play calling or bad offensive design, that is on the players, either not talented enough, or not able to execute the plays properly. People like Gary Anderson kick the field goal, Harrison, Monk , Rob Moore, Rob Carpenter, Scott Schwedes , Tommy Kane , Johnson, all make those catches for touchdowns. Art Monk, and John Mackey would have made the catches too.

almost every offensive player on this years team played and practice in a much faster no huddle last year and this years team runs a very slow no huddle that has no clue in what they need to do on half of all offensive plays...

coaching is the problem

The OL position has enough talent?

Best or second best o lineman was hurt today. And we have three sophomores who start, two of whom were 2 star recruits. O line today was not a strength. 97 is a finalist for almost all of the end of the year defensive awards for a reason.

Best or second best o lineman was hurt today. And we have three sophomores who start, two of whom were 2 star recruits. O line today was not a strength. 97 is a finalist for almost all of the end of the year defensive awards for a reason.

I don't begrudge the OL for not being able to handle 97; there's a reason for that--he is as good as the hype.

But I am [and have been] worried about the talent / depth at OL dating back to last year. I don't care what offense you want to run, everything starts up front. We all saw what happened last year when we had an above average OL for the first time in more than a decade. This year's OL is a step down. Hickey is not as good as Pugh at LT. Foy is not as good as Hickey was last year at RT. Ditto Robinsion compared to fifth year Chibane last year.

Now, the good news is that we've got three sophomores on the OL as you point out. Foy / Robinsion have proven to be serviceable; not great, but serviceable.Hickey, barring the unforeseen, should return. And Emerich has gotten some playing time, and will be a third year player in our program taking over for the lone departing starter. So all of the above is positive.

Problem is, I have big concerns about the state of the OT position. Lasker ended up coming in at LT today when Hickey got hurt. Very interesting... and perhaps telling about the state of affairs at OT. What's the deal with Kyle Knapp? Does he not have the chops? Because if he isn't up to the task, we're basically down to a bunch of projects [Burton, McGloster, etc.] that we need at least one prospect to pan out or we're in dire straits at OT. A kid like Mavety would have come in and made an impact right away, either at LT or RT, but would have really solidified our tackle position. That might have enabled a big kid like Foy to move back inside, where his lack of lateral mobility might not be as big of a liability.

On the interior, I'm much more bully about the chances of Palmer, Miller, Emerich, Hayes, Roberts, etc. than I am about what we've got at OT. We really, really need Burton to emerge in the next year or two, IMO. Especially if Knapp busts.

I'm not trying to be universally negative. We lost a lot off of last year's above average OL, and Foy / Robinson have done reasonably well. World beaters--no, but serviceable. Problem is, "serviceable'' isn't on par with "above average."

Having four returning starters next year will go a long way toward establishing the year-over-year continuity you need to show positional unit improvement. The question is: how do you bolster depth, and how do you foster competition to elevate the entire unit? We're in dire need of an infusion of talent at OT to make that happen, and to build for the future.

And I view OL improvement as as big of an area of opportunity as QB / WR. All three need to improve if we're to take this to the next level and get back to being a top 25 team.

Last edited:
I don't begrudge the OL for not being able to handle 97; there's a reason for that--he is as good as the hype.

But I am [and have been] worried about the talent / depth at OL dating back to last year. I don't care what offense you want to run, everything starts up front. We all saw what happened last year when we had an above average OL for the first time in more than a decade. This year's OL is a step down. Hickey is not as good as Pugh at LT. Foy is not as good as Hickey was last year at RT. Ditto Robinsion compared to fifth year Chibane last year. Foy / Robinsion have proven to be serviceable. Not great, but serviceable.

Now, the good news is that we've got three sophomores on the OL as you point out. Hickey, barring the unforeseen, should return. And Emerich has gotten some playing time, and will be a third year player in our program taking over for the lone departing starter. So all of the above is positive.

Problem is, I have big concerns about the state of the OT position. Lasker ended up coming in at LT today when Hickey got hurt. Very interesting. What's the deal with Kyle Knapp? Does he not have the chops? Because if he isn't up to the task, we're basically down to a bunch of projects [Burton, McGloster, etc.] that we need at least one prospect to pan out or we're in dire straits at OT. A kid like Mavety would have come in and made an impact right away, either at LT or RT, but would have really solidified our tackle position. That might have enabled a big kid like Foy to move back inside, where his lack of lateral mobility might not be as big of a liability.

On the interior, I'm much more bully about the chances of Palmer, Miller, Emerich, Hayes, Roberts, etc. than I am about what we've got at OT. We really, really need Burton to emerge in the next year or two, IMO. Especially if Knapp busts.

I'm not trying to be universally negative. We lost a lot off of last year's above average OL, and Foy / Robinson have done reasonably well. World beaters--no, but serviceable. Problem is, "serviceable'' isn't on par with "above average."

Having four returning starters next year will go a long way toward establishing the year-over-year continuity you need to show positional unit improvement. The question is: how do you bolster depth, and how do you foster competition to elevate the entire unit? We're in dire need at OT.

And I view OL improvement as as big of an area of opportunity as QB / WR. All three need to improve if we're to take this to the next level and get back to being a top 25 team.

Agree. I do see Trudo, foy, and nick all improving over the next 2+ years. Chibby certainly did. Agree that hickey should stay also. A different right tackle would be nice. Then foy could go inside and Trudo could slide over to tackle. Knapp is a bit of a mystery. You hear good things but then rarely see him. Maybe he should be nicknamed the unicorn. I think they look juco. And if they aren't they should be (for d tackle too).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom