The flagrant 1 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The flagrant 1

didn't he shoot two and make 1 miss 1? I'm positive that the penalty for flagrant 1 is 2 shots

That's what I remember. Missed the first and made the 2nd pretty sure.

didn't he shoot two and make 1 miss 1? I'm positive that the penalty for flagrant 1 is 2 shots

He might've. I was falling in and out of sleep, so I could have missed one.

flagrant 1 is two shots

Exactly. From the play by play on ESPN. com

2:36
i
Foul on Howard Washington. 80 - 78
i
Christ Koumadje missed Free Throw. 80 - 78
i
Florida State Deadball Team Rebound. 80 - 78

i
Christ Koumadje made Free Throw. 80 - 79

Yeah I take your point. It's clearly an intentional foul, but that's not a thing anymore. The problem was Washington kinda grabbed him, they didn't call anything, so he basically hugged him. 40 feet from the bucket. You could certainly argue unnecessary, but thats a call that is not applied all the time

Yeah, I saw a fight breakout in an intramural game in similar circumstances. Our team was trying to foul but the referee just wanted the game to end so he was ignoring it. That lead to harder fouling which lead to some fisticuffs. Both were examples of bad officiating.

We wanted him shouting FT's. He shot one and made it then we got the stop. Extra seconds ticked off the clock, but it's hard to say which team that helped or hurt.

If it went the way we intended it to, he would have shot 2 FT's.

He shot two. The ACC Network ass clowns weren't back from the commercial break in time to show us the first FT.

It's just such a BS sport where games come down to a single bucket and 25 calls have been as arbitrary as a coin flip. Look at Moyer's last foul:

He went over the back and hit the guy in the face...
An instant after the Florida State player shoved him out of position...
A moment after Brisset again got hit in the torso while every ref was watching his shooting hand...
A second after he drove the lane while being hand-checked.

There's no rhyme or reason to what earns a whistle. The refs have no real control over the game. And, no, I'm not saying SU got robbed. They didn't play like a team that deserved to win. But the officiating is so capricious.

Exactly. From the play by play on ESPN. com

i
Foul on Howard Washington. 80 - 78
i
Christ Koumadje missed Free Throw. 80 - 78
i
Florida State Deadball Team Rebound. 80 - 78

i
Christ Koumadje made Free Throw. 80 - 79
He shot two free throws according to iommi and I know for a fact that the flagrant 1 is two shots.

It was 2 shots, tv broadcast only showed the second FT attempt as iommi mentioned above. That's why the confusion.

I was agreeing with you and showing evidence to prove your point. The graphics in my post show he missed the first one and made the second one. 1 +1=2
Oh lol

Criticize the call but why the hell were we fouling the guy to begin with? 80-78 with over 2 minutes left...we didn’t need to foul.

I still can't figure out what was 'unnecessary and excessive' about it.
This isn’t the NBA. You can’t just foul dudes away from the ball on purpose . Everyone seems to know this rule except SU fans on this board and Boeheim

Criticize the call but why the hell were we fouling the guy to begin with? 80-78 with over 2 minutes left...we didn’t need to foul.
It was actually a good strategy if executed properly. The guy was a terrible FT shooter and every time down we didn’t foul. , he was dunking in our face

It was technically a Flagrant 1 but there is zero consistency on that call in CBB and it is almost never called.

My guess is the ref isn't getting any attention from his wife and needed the spotlight. Just wish he would of grandstanded when Bayer stepped in to try for the charge.

It was technically a Flagrant 1 but there is zero consistency on that call in CBB and it is almost never called.

My guess is the ref isn't getting any attention from his wife and needed the attention. Just wish he would of grandstanded when Bayer stepped in to try for the charge.

The reason it’s never called is because it’s almost never done . Recall we did it twice and got away with it .. the third time the refs were not going to let it go

The reason it’s never called is because it’s almost never done . Recall we did it twice and got away with it .. the third time the refs were not going to let it go
If that's truly the case then what the hell is our 800 year HC doing calling for those?

This isn’t the NBA. You can’t just foul dudes away from the ball on purpose . Everyone seems to know this rule except SU fans on this board and Boeheim

It's a pretty widely misunderstood rule because they got rid of the intentional foul call and reworded flagrants. It's definitely not just SU fans and JB.

Everyone on Twitter was joking about us doing a hack-a-Shaq. Meanwhile I was telling everyone on Twitter that they might call it a flagrant 1. If the FSU bench wasn't crying for the call, they weren't going to call it. The initial call was a common foul.

Chukwu did it the right way earlier. He was boxing him out away from the ball a little excessively without hugging him. Washington was caressing him. I'd laugh but it was like a bad comedy routine.

The commentators were clueless as usual and then we came back from the commercial break. ACC Network missed the first FT to compound their ineptitude. That network is an abomination.

Last edited:
It's just such a BS sport where games come down to a single bucket and 25 calls have been as arbitrary as a coin flip. Look at Moyer's last foul:

He went over the back and hit the guy in the face...
An instant after the Florida State player shoved him out of position...
A moment after Brisset again got hit in the torso while every ref was watching his shooting hand...
A second after he drove the lane while being hand-checked.

There's no rhyme or reason to what earns a whistle. The refs have no real control over the game. And, no, I'm not saying SU got robbed. They didn't play like a team that deserved to win. But the officiating is so capricious.

Agree 100%

Moyer almost had his face ripped off on a similar rebounding play at the end of the first half - no foul.

Moyer forearm grazes the guy's face with no other body contact (from what I saw) - 5th foul.

I still can't figure out what was 'unnecessary and excessive' about it.

Two of the examples given in the NCAA rule book are:
1. "Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball or player,
specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting;"
2. "Fouling a player clearly away from the ball who is not directly involved
with the play, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from
starting"

Either seem to fit the situation.

The bigger question is what was the point of the play? Why not just play defense in that situation; Two and a half minutes to go and we are up two??

My personal favorite call of the game was when the FSU player came flying down the lane, extended a mid-air, Heisman level stiff-arm into Chuckwu (who jumped straight up), & was awarded the And-1. The only contact was his palm on Chuckwu's chest. Laughable.

yeah seemed pretty clear JB didn't know the rule - not good

yeah seemed pretty clear JB didn't know the rule - not good

Dude, JB didn't foul the guy so obviously, Howard Washington did.

How you get "pretty clear JB didn't know the rule" out of that, says more about you than JB.

(and no, I'm not a JB apologist who thinks he can do no wrong - he screws up now and again, like any coach;
but some folks clearly have an agenda in their commenting)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom