The flagrant 1 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The flagrant 1

It was actually a good strategy if executed properly. The guy was a terrible FT shooter and every time down we didn’t foul. , he was dunking in our face
Agree with the strategy.
BUT...the last time Chukwu did it was a mistake...it was his 4th foul...if at all possible someone else should have been on the FSU big man to commit the foul.

When was that called? 1 pt in regulation or in the first ot means it cost us the game
No it doesn't. They got 1 point which is the same they would have gotten if it had remained a regular foul rather than a flagrant

Dude, JB didn't foul the guy so obviously, Howard Washington did.

How you get "pretty clear JB didn't know the rule" out of that, says more about you than JB.

(and no, I'm not a JB apologist who thinks he can do no wrong - he screws up now and again, like any coach;
but some folks clearly have an agenda in their commenting)

To me it seems that maybe Washington, who like the rest of basketball loving kids his age probably loves the NBA. So, he's accustomed to seeing how they do it in the association and tried to do the same thing. It's so uncommon at the college level you just don't see it, and I'm quite positive JB has never had his assistants teach the team how to do this at the college level.

He shot two free throws according to iommi and I know for a fact that the flagrant 1 is two shots.
They were in the double bonus already. He would have shot 2 fts either way. Calling it a flagrant only resulted in extra seconds off the clock

Dude, JB didn't foul the guy so obviously, Howard Washington did.

How you get "pretty clear JB didn't know the rule" out of that, says more about you than JB.

(and no, I'm not a JB apologist who thinks he can do no wrong - he screws up now and again, like any coach;
but some folks clearly have an agenda in their commenting)
I don't think HW bear-hugs the guy without JB making the call.

They were in the double bonus already. He would have shot 2 fts either way. Calling it a flagrant only resulted in extra seconds off the clock

It's two shots plus possession. That's the difference vs. just the double bonus. 7-4 dude made 1 of 2, and FSU got the ball back with us still being up 1. On the ensuing FSU possession, they drew a foul on a drive to the hole. That dude made 1 of 2...and tied the game at 80.

It's two shots plus possession. That's the difference vs. just the double bonus. 7-4 dude made 1 of 2, and FSU got the ball back with us still being up 1. On the ensuing FSU possession, they drew a foul on a drive to the hole. That dude made 1 of 2...and tied the game at 80.

My guess is players were told if they can give a foul on 7'6" dude instead of giving up an easy basket do so, and this was incorrectly interpreted as go the NBA style "Hack-a-Shack" or foul Ben Simmons route.

Not only is this a misinterpretation of the college rule, but is contrary to any strategy I've ever seen JB employ. We were in the lead. JB almost always prefers to play straight up defense when we are tied or in the lead. To order a foul in that situation would be to think JB had zero confidence we could make a defensive stop in a situation where a defensive stop would have been nice, but wasn't absolutely critical.

My guess is players were told if they can give a foul on 7'6" dude instead of giving up an easy basket do so, and this was incorrectly interpreted as go the NBA style "Hack-a-Shack" or foul Ben Simmons route.

Not only is this a misinterpretation of the college rule, but is contrary to any strategy I've ever seen JB employ. We were in the lead. JB almost always prefers to play straight up defense when we are tied or in the lead. To order a foul in that situation would be to think JB had zero confidence we could make a defensive stop in a situation where a defensive stop would have been nice, but wasn't absolutely critical.

Agree, but who knows what JB was thinking/instructed. I recall thinking when JB put on the press around the 11 minute mark of the second half in a tied game (after being down 10 at the half) that that was peculiar since it wasn't typically what JB does and/or when he calls for the press.

As thin as our roster is it’s hard to believe we would ‘intentionally ‘ foul with the lead late in the game. Yes I am questioning the almighty if that was indeed the strategy.

For crying out loud they were inbounding the ball and the tall dude was standing at half court.

No they didn't. We stopped them on the ensuing possession and we got the rebound. The only thing the flagrant changed was extra time off the clock

No they didn't. We stopped them on the ensuing possession and we got the rebound. The only thing the flagrant changed was extra time off the clock
Maybe, because they came up dry. We actually lost a posession.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom