The Fran Brown Show - before Stanford | Syracusefan.com

The Fran Brown Show - before Stanford

SWC75

Bored Historian
AmeriCU Fran Brown Show Debuts Thursday - Syracuse University Athletics
(This has their schedule for the season)

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can catch the show on TK99/105 locally, Cuse.com and the 'Cuse App, You can also get it on: https://tunein.com/radio/home/ or https://cuse.com/watch/?Live=6944&type=Live . Fans are invited to participate in the show by calling 888-7Go-Cuse, (1-888-746-2873), or 424-8599 or on twitter (@CuseLearfield) with the hashtag #AskFran or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website): Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics.
And the half-hour follow-up on Twitch will turn up on You-Tube later that evening, (we hope).
Cuse Sports Talk

My Question(s) or Comments (or theories)

“Coach, there was a lot of talk about something Coach Key of Georgia Tech said and how you used that to motivate yourself and the team to beat his team.

Bud Wilkinson used to tell his Oklahoma teams to maintain their level play regardless of the opponent. He had winning streaks of 31 and 47 games. John Wooden would tell his UCLA basketball teams not to focus on the opponent but rather on themselves and he won 10 national championships. Dino Babers used to say he wanted his teams to be “consistently good, not occasionally great”. You have your DART philosophy and want your players to use it for every game and every day preparing for that game.

If your players have a consistent approach to every game and every day, what does it matter what somebody on the other team said? Does your team really need the extra motivation?”

For the twitch segment:

“Coach, what will Yasin Willis’ role on this team be this season? So far he just seems to be part of the goal line package.

Is giving players a chance to play so they are less likely to consider transferring a big concern for young talents like Yasin?”

The Show
(Since both the show and the Twitch segment were available the same evening the first time out this year, as long as that’s the case, I’m going to just focus on the highlights, including the answers to my questions. I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

First the answers to my questions:

Q1
HCFB: “He, (Key), just said he wanted to be physical from 12 Noon to 4PM. We want to be physical all the time…When I coach I know everybody on the team. He said he didn’t know me. I took that very personally…I coached under Kirby Smart who was coached by Nick Saban. DART isn’t simply about football. It’s about your faith and your life. Before I understood DART and faith [here I can’t read what I scribbled but it was something about his life having no direction before that]…I wish other teams the best. We want our players to excel at what they’ve been practicing all week. Game day can be easier when you practice the way we [want to] play.”

Q2, (which I split into two questions)
“You’ve gotta watch from week to week. He [Yasin Willis] is a complimentary player to LeQuint. You haven’t really seen him yet. You’ll see him soon.” I thought they’d skipped the second part. Then I think Gomez presented a mangled version that the coach didn’t understand, asking about how he “managed the players”. FB: “I pay guys that practice well and we feel confident to play in the game.” I took that to mean what he doesn’t play guys to keep them happy to avoid transfers. They’ve got to practice and play well enough to deserve it.

The crowd at Heritage Hill applauded when Coach Brown showed up and when he made a statement of principle. They never did that for Dino.

Coach Brown said they practice for different times of the game, such as just before the half and just afterward, on different days.

He said that both of Stanford’s QB’s, Ashton Daniels and former Orangeman Justin Lamson, are both excellent athletes. He noted that Justin grew up in Sacramento when Stanford coach Troy Taylor was the head coach at Sacramento State and that he and Justin had a long relationship with him, just as Coach Brown had a long relationship with Kyle McCord and that’s why Justin transferred there when Taylor got the job.

They discussed LeQuint Allen, Matt Park saying that “Yu want to put the ball in his hands to finish the game”. FB: “Availability is the best ability.” He explained that he wants to alternate players to make sure his best players are available at the end of the game. “We want our playmakers in the fourth quarter rotation.” But “everyone must practice hard. If you can run 22 miles an hour, and you don’t practice hard and try to do it in a game, your body goes into shock and your hamstrings can get injured.” 22 miles an hour is a 10.17 100 meters. He’s talking about you, Malachi James!

Coach says he still send text to former players, maybe 50-100 a day. Right now the most famous person on his contact list is Dwight Freeney, who he texts frequently. He later told Gomez that his heroes growing up were SU’s Donovan Darius and DuJuan Wagner. He was there when DaJuan had his 100 point game. He said that the two greatest athletes he’d ever seen were Michael Jordan and DaJuan Wagner.

Coach used to work in a hospital, cleaning the rooms. He didn’t like the job and wished he could make as much as his supervisor. But he decided he had to learn to like his job or he’d never do it well enough to get another. When he became supervisor he had to make sure to motivate the people under him to be thankful for the jobs they had.

The assistant coach to be interviewed this time was Mike Johnson, the tight ends coach, and father of our back-up QB, Mike Jr. But he talked about his tight ends, of whom he was very proud. “Oronde Gadsden works hard and prepares well. He drove into the running game. He knew about the pass but now he was into the nuances of the running game. As a complete player, he has more earning potential.” He said the same of Dan Villari. “Dan’s talented with the ball in his hands but run blocking was new to him, as he had been a quarterback”. He said he had “great flexibility” with Gadsden, Villari, Max Mang and Jamie Trimble, who he said was very “similar to Oronde when he got here, except he is a bit faster. Oronde was 198 pound when he came here. Jamie is 203 and his older brother was about the same when he came to college and he’s now 243, which is what Jamie will become.”

Coach Brown said that no one on the staff has the “patience” of Mike Johnson. Maybe we should have patience, too.

It always bothered me how Dino never developed depth at RB and WR. He seemed to always want that 100 yard/1000 yard guy. I'll be thrilled to see 3 guys over 400.

I really like the depth and Trimble is definitely going to be a heck of a player. Kudos to Dino for getting him and Fran for keeping him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom