The frustration I have is with leadership aka the athletic director | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The frustration I have is with leadership aka the athletic director

Can someone explain to me why the game being in NYC and Yankee stadium makes us more money than a home game, or what benefit it gives us?

I get NYC is a big “market”, but what’s that matter when it’s two mediocre college teams playing in a mostly empty baseball stadium? Do we get on ABC instead of ACCN?

I just don’t see where this adds money.

Can someone explain to me why the game being in NYC and Yankee stadium makes us more money than a home game, or what benefit it gives us?

I get NYC is a big “market”, but what’s that matter when it’s two mediocre college teams playing in a mostly empty baseball stadium? Do we get on ABC instead of ACCN?

I just don’t see where this adds money.
Maybe Pitt and SU are showing the big Ten they can carry the NYC market. Wouldn’t that be nice. I’m just kidding, but I’m sick of the way SU gets treated by the ACC. I see the exact same play last night in the Miami/VT that got Mintz a flagrant foul, but last night it’s a basketball play. Ironically, by the same official. It was disgusting. I see the football team losing a conference home game to a rival. We watch last fall against Clemson two late hits out of bounds, but only one is called and it’s against SU. We see a blatant holding call two years ago against FSU late that costs us a game and a bowl season. I could go on and on. We get zero respect. The only time they care if we do something that makes the conference look good, like the soccer team winning the national championship. I’m still waiting for a home court advantage call in a close basketball game. Will we ever get one? Watching Duke last night get two away from the basket blocking fouls go their way. It just keeps going on and on. When you’re losing it seems you never get a break, but it just keeps getting worse. I feel better now. I just had my morning rant. My damn Knicks just blew another home game last night. Nothing changes!

Last edited:
Maybe Pitt and SU are showing the big Ten they can carry the NYC market. Wouldn’t that be nice. I’m just kidding, but I’m sick of the way SU gets treated by the ACC. I see the exact same play last night in the Miami/VT that got Mintz a flagrant foul, but last night it’s a basketball play. Ironically, by the same official. It was disgusting. I see the football team losing a conference home game to a rival. We watch last fall against Clemson two late hits out of bounds, but only one is called and it’s against SU. We see a blatant holding call two years ago against FSU late that costs us a game and a bowl season. I could go on and on. We get zero respect. The only time they care if we do something that makes the conference look good, like the soccer team winning the national championship. I’m still waiting for a home court advantage call in a close basketball game. Will we ever get one? Watching Duke last night get two away from the basket blocking fouls go their way. It just keeps going on and on. When you’re losing it seems you never get a break, but it just keeps getting worse. I feel better now. I just had my morning rant. My damn Knicks just blew another home game last night. Nothing changes!

I think most people here (yes, I'm including myself), have a superficial understanding of the multifaceted factors, including both political and financial pressure, that comes with firing a nearly 50 year career HOFHC, with only 1 losing season, his name on the court, and a lifetime of off the court philanthropy and "equity." This process is compounded by the fact that SU is a private university. I'm fairly certain that the AD does not have unilateral decision making power in this situation.

I understand the frustration. I understand that there has been a 9-year lack of success compared to the standards JB set. I'm not even debating whether it's time for JB to step down. I think it's easy to throw stones at JW. I also think that a lot of that frustration is misguided.
This ^^^ 50 years is a long time to build relationships with members of the BoT, no matter what has gone on these last years. This is not even close to an AD unilateral decision. People also are pre-supposing because there has been no action, that he JW doesn't care. Which my guess would be is light years from the truth as well. This situation is a unicorn folks, it is what it is. At some point here though something will give, just need to ride it out however you need to.

phew. Glad I didn't start any of those threads!

Hes a great AD in a tough spot
yeah there is a lot that goes into it, not that simple to just walk in and fire an institution that has held the position for 47 years. Lots of internet tough guys here. Just have to ride it out and that has become extremely evident over the past 5-6 years. JB is leaving only when he says he is leaving and that is pretty apparent.

John Wildhack wake up and take back the basketball program for the fans. Coach Boeheim will be fine and deserves to be appreciated. He isn’t appreciated because he won’t go away.
I feel an old song coming on.

How many more non NCAA seasons until things must change? Who has a tolerance still and where do you draw the line? Or is there no line? Instead of nibbling on the edges - just a plain and simple question.

This ^^^ 50 years is a long time to build relationships with members of the BoT, no matter what has gone on these last years. This is not even close to an AD unilateral decision. People also are pre-supposing because there has been no action, that he JW doesn't care. Which my guess would be is light years from the truth as well. This situation is a unicorn folks, it is what it is. At some point here though something will give, just need to ride it out however you need to.
BoT are supposed to uphold the welfare of the program not an individual. It’s dereliction of duty. It’s a hopeless situation.

BoT are supposed to uphold the welfare of the program not an individual. It’s dereliction of duty. It’s a hopeless situation.

The BoT is supposed to uphold the welfare of the entire UNIVERSITY. Not an individual sports program.

The BoT doesn't care about RPI or NET rankings.

The only thing that matters is US News College Rankings.

Syracuse is out of the Top 60. Getting SU back into the Top 50 should be their only priority. We used to be in the 40's, pre-Chancy Nancy.

The BoT is supposed to uphold the welfare of the entire UNIVERSITY. Not an individual sports program.

Syracuse is out of the Top 60. Getting SU back into the Top 50 should be their only priority. We used to be in the 40's, pre-Chancy Nancy.

Plenty of data out there that shows how the success of a flagship major athletic program can lead to more applicants and higher academic prestige for the university.

So if that’s their (main or only?) priority then they are asleep at the wheel on this.

Everyone claims all this great behind the scenes stuff like fund raising, coaching salaries, Dome renovations, etc. the bottom line is football, basketball and lacrosse have sucked almost the whole time he’s been here. Results matter.

Basketball is a disgrace. SU basketball game days now feels like annual doctors appointment day.
We are a soccer school now

Ok…….. since you raised the issue, how does holding the basketball program hostage help the entire university?

Ok…….. since you raised the issue, how does holding the basketball program hostage help the entire university?

How does firing a basketball coach help the entire university?

It only massages the egos of a small percentage of fans who care about the sport.

SU has an enrollment of over 20,000 students. Maybe 25% of that show up for the "big" basketball games, and only 10% show up the rest of the season. Most students and alumni couldn't care less. Most of the residents of Onondaga County couldn't care less either.

It's not at the top of the BoT's priority list.

Officials bounce games from league to league every night. Must be tough keeping up with all the grievances across conferences.

How does firing a basketball coach help the entire university?

It only massages the egos of a small percentage of fans who care about the sport.

SU has an enrollment of over 20,000 students. Maybe 25% of that show up for the "big" basketball games, and only 10% show up the rest of the season. Most students and alumni couldn't care less. Most of the residents of Onondaga County couldn't care less either.

It's not at the top of the BoT's priority list.
it's near the top. Look at Alabama's ranking pre Saban and post.

Sports can create scarcity interest in these universities which drives up the better students wanting to attend.

There's no doubt the school has fallen considerably since the 90s when it was top 45 university consistently. It does matter.

it's near the top. Look at Alabama's ranking pre Saban and post.

Sports can create scarcity interest in these universities which drives up the better students wanting to attend.

There's no doubt the school has fallen considerably since the 90s when it was top 45 university consistently. It does matter.
Yep...not always, but for most

"After Florida Gulf Coast made a similar run in 2013, advancing to the Sweet 16 as a No. 15 seed, the school saw a 27 percent increase in the number of applicants, and out-of-state enrollment also surged, according to R. Marc Laviolette, the school’s director of admissions."

Yep...not always, but for most

"After Florida Gulf Coast made a similar run in 2013, advancing to the Sweet 16 as a No. 15 seed, the school saw a 27 percent increase in the number of applicants, and out-of-state enrollment also surged, according to R. Marc Laviolette, the school’s director of admissions."
I saw it first hand with Doug Flutie and BC. Massive influx of applications after he took them to the Cotton Bowl. They had a second rush with the win over #1 ND in 93 too.

This stuff pushes interest in ways a pamphlet can't.

Everyone claims all this great behind the scenes stuff like fund raising, coaching salaries, Dome renovations, etc. the bottom line is football, basketball and lacrosse have sucked almost the whole time he’s been here. Results matter.

Basketball is a disgrace. SU basketball game days now feels like annual doctors appointment day.
So don't watch. SU dominated LAX due in part to being a big fish in a small pond. Now that pond is turning into a lake as land grant universities are getting into the sport and offer cheaper tuition while kids are getting grants or partial scholarships to go to SU. Economics are shifting power in the sport.

winners get top talent. we used to guarantee final four in lacrosse or tourney in bball. those days are over. and it's tough to climb back up to the top of that hill without the top talent who went to the winners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom