The good news | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The good news

Bad route running ie. Sideline space and Selling the fakes l, frequent wrong routes or bad decisions on option routes. Just silly to see on a P5 team.
We have a wide receivers coach who coached in the NFL and was an OC in the NFL, and you are telling me our routes are bad? How can that be? Is it the coaches...or the lack of talent at the wide receiver position. Same coaches coached Gadson as the rest of the receivers, yet, he is the only one that can get open and catch the ball...and you think that is coaching??

Hes a practice squad 3rd string QB who played because of injuries and had negative yards passing in his appearance. I mean come on
You don't make practice squads if you can't play! Didn't say he was an All Pro, but he is in the league. My point is Devito had NFL type arm talent and was projected to be drafted when he was in HS...He never got the chance to develop his skills at Syracuse because he was always running for his life. Had he gone to a school Like Texas A&M, who really came after him hard, they would have made sure they put some blockers in front of him at the very least. Maybe he develops into an NFL starter...who knows...but syracuse did him a disservice with thee poot offensive line it put in front of him

Tommie Devito is in the NFL!!!! He couldn't show case his talent here because he had no line to block for him. He was an Elite 11 QB in HS, with many of thiose 11, now in the NFL. You don't think top rated QB's know that Syracuse has a history of poor Offensive line play? Developing a dynamic offensive line is the key to a good offense and that has to be the focus of our next coach.
As I posted elsewhere, CDRW was an Elite 11 QB in HS. OL is an issue, but I still think he's overwhelmed by how fast the game is at this level. Everything is rushed and his confidence has to be shaken.

As I posted elsewhere, CDRW was an Elite 11 QB in HS. OL is an issue, but I still think he's overwhelmed by how fast the game is at this level. Everything is rushed and his confidence has to be shaken.
Well CDRW couldn’t crack the depth chart at Florida either. Let’s not forget that. Some kids struggle moving from HS comp to P5 comp and I think unfortunately for us he’s one of those guys.

I don't know who was in CDRW's Elite 11 group, but looking at film, there is no way, he had the Arm talent of Devito at the same stage. Look up Devito's Elite 11 group: Tua was his roommate..

Hes a practice squad 3rd string QB who played because of injuries and had negative yards passing in his appearance. I mean come on
Of all QB’s coming out of college in the last 3 years, how many are in the NFL: practice squad or not?

Not many. Maybe 120. DeVito is one of them. Discounting that accomplishment is petty.

I don't know who was in CDRW's Elite 11 group, but looking at film, there is no way, he had the Arm talent of Devito at the same stage. Look up Devito's Elite 11 group: Tua was his roommate..
Here is some junior footage ... not sure what happened to him. His mechanics are worse than they were in high school.

Of all QB’s coming out of college in the last 3 years, how many are in the NFL: practice squad or not?

Not many. Maybe 120. DeVito is one of them. Discounting that accomplishment is petty.

I'm not discounting it at all but acting like we had Josh Allen here that we failed to use because of a bad oline is absurd.

You don't make practice squads if you can't play! Didn't say he was an All Pro, but he is in the league. My point is Devito had NFL type arm talent and was projected to be drafted when he was in HS...He never got the chance to develop his skills at Syracuse because he was always running for his life. Had he gone to a school Like Texas A&M, who really came after him hard, they would have made sure they put some blockers in front of him at the very least. Maybe he develops into an NFL starter...who knows...but syracuse did him a disservice with thee poot offensive line it put in front of him
This would carry more weight if he did more at Illinois with his 133 rating against fbs

That horrible line he left behind blocked for a guy with a 136 rating against fbs in 2022

He has an extraordinary arm

This would carry more weight if he did more at Illinois with his 133 rating against fbs

That horrible line he left behind blocked for a guy with a 136 rating against fbs in 2022
The issue for Devito and what hurt him was they ran a short passing game. If we break it down:

Devito: 70% completion percentage
Shrader: 65% completion percentage
Devito: 15 TDs
Shrader: 17 TDs
Devito: 4 INTs
Shrader: 7 INTs
Devito: 2650 yards
Shrader: 2640 yards

Devito: 7.2 yards per attempt
Shrader: 8.3 yards per attempt

He was limited by a quick passing game and didn't have to throw all that much down field because Brown was a beast at tailback, they weren't behind the sticks very often. Anyone who watched Illinois will tell you they didn't have him throwing that far down the field all that often. Ole Brent is too conservative when he has a top flight RB just like his days at Wisky.

We need to get more efficient throwing the ball. I don't know how we get better QBs here other than to promise them they will throw all the time and put up huge numbers

Except we did that when DB first got here and still had no appreciable impact on drawing QB’s or WR’s.

He finished 5th in his group.

I agree with both of you, in part at least. No Devito is no all world type of QB, but good luck attracting good QB talent when they know they're going to get creamed for four years and spend half that time on the bench due to injuries.

We got an elite 11 qb

I think you made my point. 8 years, an elite 11 QB who also wasn't heavily recruited by the powerhouses and almost no WR talent.

I think you made my point. 8 years, an elite 11 QB who also wasn't heavily recruited by the powerhouses and almost no WR talent.
We threw the ball a lot and landed a really good QB recruit

I agree with both of you, in part at least. No Devito is no all world type of QB, but good luck attracting good QB talent when they know they're going to get creamed for four years and spend half that time on the bench due to injuries.
Illinois was 33rd in tackles for loss allowed in 21
And was 97th in 22. Tied with Syracuse actually.

I'm sure it has nothingggg to do with devito

(Shrader eats the ball too much too)

It seems like he's healthy against bad teams and not healthy against good teams
I don't know Millhouse. He did pretty well against Clemson in their house last year. At the time we were ranked #14 vs #5 Clemson and he was 18 - 26 for 167 YDS and 1 TD. He also ran for 1 TD and had 71 YDS on the ground. So it's not all bad even though we lost a tough one 21-27.

We threw the ball a lot and landed a really good QB recruit

I know you're on a roll this weekend and it's been since DB's first two years where you were wetting yourself with excitement for his offense. But maybe look back at what you wrote and what and how I responded. Not sure you even know what you're replying to now that you've had a solid 36 hours of going off.

The issue for Devito and what hurt him was they ran a short passing game. If we break it down:

Devito: 70% completion percentage
Shrader: 65% completion percentage
Devito: 15 TDs
Shrader: 17 TDs
Devito: 4 INTs
Shrader: 7 INTs
Devito: 2650 yards
Shrader: 2640 yards

Devito: 7.2 yards per attempt
Shrader: 8.3 yards per attempt

He was limited by a quick passing game and didn't have to throw all that much down field because Brown was a beast at tailback, they weren't behind the sticks very often. Anyone who watched Illinois will tell you they didn't have him throwing that far down the field all that often. Ole Brent is too conservative when he has a top flight RB just like his days at Wisky.
Yep. Anyone overstating his performance at Illinois didn’t actually watch Illinois play. I did. Most of his activity in the games I saw was field management through the short game.

Illinois was 33rd in tackles for loss allowed in 21
And was 97th in 22. Tied with Syracuse actually.

I'm sure it has nothingggg to do with devito

(Shrader eats the ball too much too)

What?

I clicked on this thread since "the good news" looked enticing after every other thread which has tended to gravitate towards the bad news, how we can't compete, terrible coaching, poor recruiting, etc. It only two 2-3 posts for it to morph into the others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom