The good news | Syracusefan.com

The good news

upperdeck

Living Legend
Man there is some awful QB play in the ACC

Some teams mask it with better D and athletes but watching so many teams struggle at the position means we have hope if we just get to avg play again.

Some teams mask it with better D and athletes but watching so many teams struggle at the position means we have hope if we just get to avg play again.
On the other hand, Shrader's QB rating of 137 ( pretty good if you only compare to Syracuse guys) is 61st nationally so QB play isn't that bad elsewhere

126 rating 77th against fbs.

Cdrw's numbers are hard to believe...

We need to get more efficient throwing the ball. I don't know how we get better QBs here other than to promise them they will throw all the time and put up huge numbers

We need to get more efficient throwing the ball. I don't know how we get better QBs here other than to promise them they will throw all the time and put up huge numbers
Having a line that doesn't force a guy like Shrader to be a one man show and get beaten half to death in the first half of every season would be worth a shot. Maybe? We have next to nothing to help a decent QB succeed here. Shrader has had 1 good, reliable receiver to work with. I'm not sure there is a QB out there that could be successful with what we've put out there for the majority of the last 5 years.

On the other hand, Shrader's QB rating of 137 ( pretty good if you only compare to Syracuse guys) is 61st nationally so QB play isn't that bad elsewhere

The funny part is cdrw had time to throw. He couldn’t make basic outs or slant throws. Or screens. It was incredible. I’ve never seen such bad throws in a college game where a guy had time to throw. You could tell me he had just surgery on his throwing arm and I would have believed it. It was a truly horrific performance from a guy who seems to really want to win and do well too. Something is just off.

Castellanos is 127
Klubnik is 127
Vellieux is 108
Colandrea is 134
MJ Morris is 120
Drones is 124
Griffis is 130

Yes it is that bad elsewhere as a matter a fact half the league is worse.

Having a line that doesn't force a guy like Shrader to be a one man show and get beaten half to death in the first half of every season would be worth a shot. Maybe? We have next to nothing to help a decent QB succeed here. Shrader has had 1 good, reliable receiver to work with. I'm not sure there is a QB out there that could be successful with what we've put out there for the majority of the last 5 years.
I think Shrader is a bad passer and I think offensive coaches the last two years have done a decent job making him successful even sporadically.

I'm fine with firing babers for not finding qbs but i think a lot of the anger over the last two years is because people have more hope with Shrader than I ever did.

If you think the QB is bad, you don't get as mad when he fails

The funny part is cdrw had time to throw. He couldn’t make basic outs or slant throws. Or screens. It was incredible. I’ve never seen such bad throws in a college game where a guy had time to throw. You could tell me he had just surgery on his throwing arm and I would have believed it. It was a truly horrific performance from a guy who seems to really want to win and do well too. Something is just off.
You just have to feel bad for him. He should switch positions. We all have bad memories of when we failed in sports (sectionals as a sophomore in 1990 on an underwater soccer field getting benched after fifteen minutes haunts me) and none of us did it on that stage.

I think Shrader is a bad passer and I think offensive coaches the last two years have done a decent job making him successful even sporadically.

I'm fine with firing babers for not finding qbs but i think a lot of the anger over the last two years is because people have more hope with Shrader than I ever did.

If you think the QB is bad, you don't get as mad when he fails

When he's been healthy, we've scored points and won. Without him or with him being beat up, the O has been trash. You want to put it all on him, that's fine. IMO, if he had better around him, he'd be more than good enough to win.

Yeah, I dunno.

If he had started v. VT, where our O-line was steamrolled incessantly, I fear what those stat lines would look like.

As much as anything else, he looked like a QB with very few reps and it really showed... Which is astounding given Schrader's injury history and the rumors of his surgery recovery and inability to throw a proper pass.

The BC kid was awful as well but at least he completed a few passes. He missed many by 5 yds and if we could catch 4 picks.. Of course 2 our picks were just bad bounce issues.

we played CDRW because he could run a little. but his decisions were bad on the picks and he bounced too many others.

we need to find a QB that throws guys open not wait for guys to get open..

Even Dungey had the same issue which is why he checked down so fast to Erv but at least the chains moved fast

Last edited:

Absolutely correct.

When he's been healthy, we've scored points and won. Without him or with him being beat up, the O has been trash. You want to put it all on him, that's fine. IMO, if he had better around him, he'd be more than good enough to win.
It seems like he's healthy against bad teams and not healthy against good teams

Castellanos is 127
Klubnik is 127
Vellieux is 108
Colandrea is 134
MJ Morris is 120
Drones is 124
Griffis is 130

Yes it is that bad elsewhere as a matter a fact half the league is worse.
So as bad as GS has been this year he is almost as good as BC Kyler Murray?

So as bad as GS has been this year he is almost as good as BC Kyler Murray?
Better if going just by passer rating yes that is an accurate statement. Technically 11 rating points better than BC Kyler Murray.

CDRW definitely struggled to throw, but our WRs are playing as poorly as any group I've ever seen at any level. The few times he did make half decent throws, the receivers couldn't make a play. That INT right after the Barron fumble recovery was such a bad play by Hatcher...
200 (4).gif

The BC kid was awful as well but at least he completed a few passes. He missed many by 5 yds and if we could catch 4 picks.. Of course 2 our picks were just bad bounce issues.

we played CDRW because he could run a little. but his decisions were bad on the picks and he bounced too many others.

Even Dungey had the same issue which is why he checked down so fast to Erv but at least the chains moved fast
You shouldn't have to throw guys open so much in CFB. We don't have good wrs and they don't run good routes.

I agree about throwing people open. I think the offense makes it easy to decide where to go with the ball against other average teams and our QBs do fine when guys have space. Against better teams, our particular QBs eat the ball too much (devito and shrader both with devito being worse) and struggled to throw it accurately (shrader more than devito)

I think babers mostly failed in QB recruiting and teaching which was the biggest unknown when he was hired. I still think it was a good hire decision given what we knew at the time but it worked out that the one thing we didn't know ahead of time was his downfall. Offering devito was also a good call but the one risk with him turned it to be his undoing. He got lucky to stumble on Baylor and garrapolo(and dunge) and then he got a little unlucky the rest of the way

I think shrader is bad and the offense deserves credit for making his stats not atrocious but it doesn't matter because coaches that can't recruit QBs are going to fail.

Last edited:
You shouldn't have to throw guys open so much in CFB. We don't have good wrs and they don't run good routes.
Bad route running ie. Sideline space and Selling the fakes l, frequent wrong routes or bad decisions on option routes. Just silly to see on a P5 team.

I think we view Nunes as poorly as we do because he was -basically - right after McNabb. He wasn’t that bad (plus he was recruited to be Vick’s backup, no one expected him to be the started when he was recruited).

I think the pitch here should be “Look how terrible our QBs have been! If you’re just mediocre, they’ll throw parades in your honor and name streets after you!”

I think we view Nunes as poorly as we do because he was -basically - right after McNabb. He wasn’t that bad (plus he was recruited to be Vick’s backup, no one expected him to be the started when he was recruited).

I think the pitch here should be “Look how terrible our QBs have been! If you’re just mediocre, they’ll throw parades in your honor and name streets after you!”
Disagree about nunes but I can't think about that any more

Tommie Devito is in the NFL!!!! He couldn't show case his talent here because he had no line to block for him. He was an Elite 11 QB in HS, with many of thiose 11, now in the NFL. You don't think top rated QB's know that Syracuse has a history of poor Offensive line play? Developing a dynamic offensive line is the key to a good offense and that has to be the focus of our next coach.

Tommie Devito is in the NFL!!!! He couldn't show case his talent here because he had no line to block for him. He was an Elite 11 QB in HS, with many of thiose 11, now in the NFL. You don't think top rated QB's know that Syracuse has a history of poor Offensive line play? Developing a dynamic offensive line is the key to a good offense and that has to be the focus of our next coach.

Hes a practice squad 3rd string QB who played because of injuries and had negative yards passing in his appearance. I mean come on

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom