The good news | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The good news

I know you're on a roll this weekend and it's been since DB's first two years where you were wetting yourself with excitement for his offense. But maybe look back at what you wrote and what and how I responded. Not sure you even know what you're replying to now that you've had a solid 36 hours of going off.
You wrote
Except we did that when DB first got here and still had no appreciable impact on drawing QB’s or WR’s.

I said it drew Devito who was a very good recruit.

He was sort of a bust but that didn't change that he was a highly regarded recruit that came after we threw the ball a lot

Devito goes to Illinois and they immediately are terrible at preventing tackles for loss
So you feel the problem has been Devito and Shrader hold the ball too long and the OL hasn't basically been a turnstile?

Devito goes to Illinois and they immediately are terrible at preventing tackles for loss
Devito was only sacked 28 times in 13 games, a rate far less than at SU. So what you’re saying is he was tackling Brown and others in the backfield for his opponent? Then yes DeVito is to blame … burn him!!!

So you feel the problem has been Devito and Shrader hold the ball too long and the OL hasn't basically been a turnstile?
It's not either or. I put a little more of the blame on the QBs. Have at it

Devito was only sacked 28 times in 13 games, a rate far less than at SU. So what you’re saying is he was tackling Brown and others in the backfield for his opponent? Then yes DeVito is to blame … burn him!!!
Where do you get sack numbers from

Where do you get sack numbers from
Direct from Illinois website … google is an incredible thing.

28 sacks allowed 193 yards lost … right under misc on the site below. This is why making poor assumptions on a generalized stat is stupid and seems to be par for the board course.

The funny part is cdrw had time to throw. He couldn’t make basic outs or slant throws. Or screens. It was incredible. I’ve never seen such bad throws in a college game where a guy had time to throw. You could tell me he had just surgery on his throwing arm and I would have believed it. It was a truly horrific performance from a guy who seems to really want to win and do well too. Something is just off.
Right on point richmondcuse03. I never saw anything quite as bad as his performance passing and there are no excuses, he sucked - throwing the ball into the ground short of the receiver on a screen. C'mon!

Last edited:
I know you're on a roll this weekend and it's been since DB's first two years where you were wetting yourself with excitement for his offense. But maybe look back at what you wrote and what and how I responded. Not sure you even know what you're replying to now that you've had a solid 36 hours of going off.
We had some small receivers who could really run. If they broke open, they were gone. We actually threw vertical passes.

You just have to feel bad for him. He should switch positions. We all have bad memories of when we failed in sports (sectionals as a sophomore in 1990 on an underwater soccer field getting benched after fifteen minutes haunts me) and none of us did it on that stage.
And now there's this. Feel bad for him!? No, at this level with what he did against BC. And now you want him to switch positions? hahahahahaha. Yup, I'm a bad QB so I will become a WR :rolleyes:

We have a wide receivers coach who coached in the NFL and was an OC in the NFL, and you are telling me our routes are bad? How can that be? Is it the coaches...or the lack of talent at the wide receiver position. Same coaches coached Gadson as the rest of the receivers, yet, he is the only one that can get open and catch the ball...and you think that is coaching??
I'm not there so I don't know definitively but the same guys that drop balls a lot also running poor routes seems like a talent issue more than coaching. Positioning is coaching, homework and instinct. Catching is catching. Those with elite hands and body control will be able to do more but overall a guy in D3 can likely catch a football as well as a D1 WR. The physical skills are the difference, size, speed, etc.

The main complaint on the coaching aspect is that we keep sticking the same guys out there who consistently underperform or flat out screw up. Eventually you find yourself on the bench until you figure it out or leave. The coaches have been recruiting these guys for nearly a decade. Its year 8 and our WRs have gotten much bigger but still can't get open and now can't even catch. Thats on coaches.

Direct from Illinois website … google is an incredible thing.

28 sacks allowed 193 yards lost … right under misc on the site below. This is why making poor assumptions on a generalized stat is stupid and seems to be par for the board course.

Was wondering if you were looking something that tracks stats across all teams and years. It's difficult to distinguish between runs and sacks so it's not a standard college stat generally

And now there's this. Feel bad for him!? No, at this level with what he did against BC. And now you want him to switch positions? hahahahahaha. Yup, I'm a bad QB so I will become a WR :rolleyes:
You really got me! An athletic QB who can't throw switching positions, what a crazy idea! I've never heard of such a thing!

Of all QB’s coming out of college in the last 3 years, how many are in the NFL: practice squad or not?

Not many. Maybe 120. DeVito is one of them. Discounting that accomplishment is petty.
I’m gonna start hyping LeRon Ellis as a should’ve been all time SU great who was screwed here, and use him having a cup of coffee in the NBA as evidence.

Was wondering if you were looking something that tracks stats across all teams and years. It's difficult to distinguish between runs and sacks so it's not a standard college stat generally
No they actually tabulated it … fwiw he logged 70+ carries of which 28 were sacks, this assumes he was the one sacked every time.

We had some small receivers who could really run. If they broke open, they were gone. We actually threw vertical passes.

DB’s recruiting success for WR’s is around 10% and that’s being generous. It’s at least better than his oline recruiting success. We’ve devoted a significant amount of scholarships to that position or a hybrid position to end up with a guys who are small, look fast on the field and catch 1 ball every 3-4 games to get us all excited. DB’s first couple years of passing success weren’t with his recruits. Overall, in 8 years, we’ve not drawn almost any high caliber or consistent recruits despite throwing a ton of scholarships at the position. Oh and that’s with an offensive guru.

And to end on an even worse note. Shrader is probably out for the season. With Wilson leading the team we are 4-8. I hope I am wrong and we win out and are 7-5 and play in a mayonaise(sp) bowl somewhere. And, it's all Dino's fault that OG, and GS are out. Fire him. Hire Lewis!
You really got me! An athletic QB who can't throw switching positions, what a crazy idea! I've never heard of such a thing!
He can join the WR group that can't catch.

Don't talk about position changes. I came to SU and walked on. I was an All - State QB who would warm up with the first string QB and I could throw it harder and more accurately than he did. But they wanted to keep him there so they put me at WR. First play I ran a go route against an All American DB and beat him for a TD in practice.

I was also the NJ 100 yard dash champion with a 9.7. Floyd and I were teammates and the fastest on the team. Of course you can change positions, just be sure you can catch the ball or if you want to improve stay after practice and use a jugs gun until you can catch everything.

And to end on an even worse note. Shrader is probably out for the season. With Wilson leading the team we are 4-8. I hope I am wrong and we win out and are 7-5 and play in a mayonaise(sp) bowl somewhere. And, it's all Dino's fault that OG, and GS are out. Fire him. Hire Lewis!

Don't talk about position changes. I came to SU and walked on. I was an All - State QB who would warm up with the first string QB and I could throw it harder and more accurately than he did. But they wanted to keep him there so they put me at WR. First play I ran a go route against an All American DB and beat him for a TD in practice.

I was also the NJ 100 yard dash champion with a 9.7. Floyd and I were teammates and the fastest on the team. Of course you can change positions, just be sure you can catch the ball or if you want to improve stay after practice and use a jugs gun until you can catch everything.
Can we really defend Dino in year 8 because the QB and WR got hurt?

Maybe find a way to recruit more than 1 good WR and 1 functional QB? We were losing by 40 every week with Shrader playing, anyway.

We’ve had one decent season in the last 5 years.

We’ve lost out in November before. We’re staring at possibly losing 8 in a row and going winless in the league.

But yeah, it’s all because of 2 injuries.

It's not either or. I put a little more of the blame on the QBs. Have at it
Yes, they both have at times held the ball too long. That can happen when you have very little to no talent around you and you're trying to make something, ANYTHING happen. I've seen A BUNCH of times when both have had defenders through the line before they even had the ball in their hands. They've been chased before they have time to look at a receiver, let alone that receiver get open. So we can agree, I guess, that there's blame to be shared.

Back to the post you originally responded to. Do you feel good HS QB talent is going to look at what we have on the OL, at WR and this scheme and want to come here?

Hes a practice squad 3rd string QB who played because of injuries and had negative yards passing in his appearance. I mean come on
Since I started following CFB, here are the SYR QBs to appear in an NFL game, McPherson, Philcox, McNabb, Nassib, Devito. TD is in the NFL on an active roster, a lot of good college QBs can't say that

Love your story…much respect:)

You don't make practice squads if you can't play! Didn't say he was an All Pro, but he is in the league. My point is Devito had NFL type arm talent and was projected to be drafted when he was in HS...He never got the chance to develop his skills at Syracuse because he was always running for his life. Had he gone to a school Like Texas A&M, who really came after him hard, they would have made sure they put some blockers in front of him at the very least. Maybe he develops into an NFL starter...who knows...but syracuse did him a disservice with thee poot offensive line it put in front of him
Hes playing again, now

Wow I didn't realize until right now that I technically have more career NFL passing yards than Tommy Devito.
Think Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

So why were you so dismissive when I suggested that he switch positions?

Wow I didn't realize until right now that I technically have more career NFL passing yards than Tommy Devito.
Someone who went 1 for 8 for 1 yard passing with no td or int would've had a better qb rating than CDRW against BC

I think I could do this. Faith without talent or evidence

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom