The good news | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The good news

Yes, they both have at times held the ball too long. That can happen when you have very little to no talent around you and you're trying to make something, ANYTHING happen. I've seen A BUNCH of times when both have had defenders through the line before they even had the ball in their hands. They've been chased before they have time to look at a receiver, let alone that receiver get open. So we can agree, I guess, that there's blame to be shared.

Back to the post you originally responded to. Do you feel good HS QB talent is going to look at what we have on the OL, at WR and this scheme and want to come here?
Scheme is fine. OL and WR are awful. I wouldn't expect good qbs to commit unless we can get a new OL/WR in the portal. I hope Babers's replacement recruits better than he does.

I just don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater and assume that everything babers believes is wrong just because he swung and missed on devito and didn't recruit well elsewhere

Scheme is fine. OL and WR are awful. I wouldn't expect good qbs to commit unless we can get a new OL/WR in the portal. I hope Babers's replacement recruits better than he does.

I just don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater and assume that everything babers believes is wrong just because he swung and missed on devito and didn't recruit well elsewhere

I honestly don't know what the scheme is at this point. It sure doesn't look like what I thought we were getting when he was hired. That whole side of the ball is a dysfunctional mess, IMO. Just a bunch of hopes and prayers with players that, for the most part, don't look like they belong at the P-5 level.

The WRs are fine after the catch and get open enough to complete throws but our QBs are not throwing on time and in the good spots enough to make it work.. If anything the WR group has gotten better at catching contested throws but the throws still need to be much better.

Even the 3rd INT was a bad throw but the WR needs to handle it better, the bad luck was causing it to bounce to a DB and help him pin it to his body.

Its clear though we dont have close to an Alpha WR

I honestly don't know what the scheme is at this point. It sure doesn't look like what I thought we were getting when he was hired. That whole side of the ball is a dysfunctional mess, IMO. Just a bunch of hopes and prayers with players that, for the most part, don't look like they belong at the P-5 level.
that's true. i'm thinking of ghosts of offenses past. when i watch them fail, i'm not sitting there flipping out about their system because i can't imagine what else could make them better than 76th out of 133 teams in yards per play with their roster.

103rd in plays per game. Not what he had everyone picture in their minds when he demanded everyone nap in that first PC

Since I started following CFB, here are the SYR QBs to appear in an NFL game, McPherson, Philcox, McNabb, Nassib, Devito. TD is in the NFL on an active roster, a lot of good college QBs can't say that
i wonder if that changes at halftime

Can we really defend Dino in year 8 because the QB and WR got hurt?

Maybe find a way to recruit more than 1 good WR and 1 functional QB? We were losing by 40 every week with Shrader playing, anyway.

We’ve had one decent season in the last 5 years.

We’ve lost out in November before. We’re staring at possibly losing 8 in a row and going winless in the league.

But yeah, it’s all because of 2 injuries.
OrangeDW: No it's not because of 2 injuries, obviously there are other reasons like our offensive line not protecting the QB and giving up, IMO, vs VT. I think you are right. 4-8 this year. I'd like to win out and go 7-5 but doubt that will happen.

Last edited:
OrangeDW: No it's not because of 2 injuries, obviously there are other reason like our offensive line not protecting the QB and giving up, IMO, vs VT. I think you are right. 4-8 this year. I'd like to win out and go 7-5 but doubt that will happen.
I may have misread what you meant. My apologies.

CDRW definitely struggled to throw, but our WRs are playing as poorly as any group I've ever seen at any level. The few times he did make half decent throws, the receivers couldn't make a play. That INT right after the Barron fumble recovery was such a bad play by Hatcher...View attachment 232992
Even on that the pass was behind him which allowed the defender to rip it away. If he would have led him where the defender couldn’t reach it at least Hatcher would only have dropped it.

Even on that the pass was behind him which allowed the defender to rip it away. If he would have led him where the defender couldn’t reach it at least Hatcher would only have dropped it.
It could have been thrown better, but, it was Hatcher's catch to make and he let it get taken away.

It could have been thrown better, but, it was Hatcher's catch to make and he let it get taken away.

I still can’t believe we even threw it there. With our disastrous results throwing all game long, our success running the ball all game long, coming off a turnover giving us the ball in their territory and a big run to get us in easy FG territory, with the clock ticking in the 4th quarter….

How do you call for a pass there? Over the middle? To that kid?

Mind blowing.

It really felt like we were trying to lose at that point. Keep pounding it to Allen, and I think we almost surely win the game…..unless we go prevent on the next defensive possession - which probably would’ve been our next maddening and losery coaching decision.

I still can’t believe we even threw it there. With our disastrous results throwing all game long, our success running the ball all game long, coming off a turnover giving us the ball in their territory and a big run to get us in easy FG territory, with the clock ticking in the 4th quarter….

How do you call for a pass there? Over the middle? To that kid?

Mind blowing.

It really felt like we were trying to lose at that point. Keep pounding it to Allen, and I think we almost surely win the game…..unless we go prevent on the next defensive possession - which probably would’ve been our next maddening and losery coaching decision.
It was incredibly stupid

After they played it safe with very little time settling for a sixty yarder at the end of the half. An INT there wouldn't have killed them, nothing to lose

The funny part is cdrw had time to throw. He couldn’t make basic outs or slant throws. Or screens. It was incredible. I’ve never seen such bad throws in a college game where a guy had time to throw. You could tell me he had just surgery on his throwing arm and I would have believed it. It was a truly horrific performance from a guy who seems to really want to win and do well too. Something is just off.
It sucks that the oline seemed so much better than it was against VPI but then we didn't have a QB to take advantage of it. With the game LA had, a healthy Shrader beats BC comfortably.

Last edited:
As I posted elsewhere, CDRW was an Elite 11 QB in HS. OL is an issue, but I still think he's overwhelmed by how fast the game is at this level. Everything is rushed and his confidence has to be shaken.
He strikes me as someone that overwhelmed high school kids with his physical ability, but just doesn't have it mentally to compete against a similar talent level in college. If was a freshman I could say he needs time for the game to slow down. He's in his third year in college. If he doesn't have it by now, the odds aren't good he's going to.

Yep. Anyone overstating his performance at Illinois didn’t actually watch Illinois play. I did. Most of his activity in the games I saw was field management through the short game.

Which is a staff working with what they have. Putting kids in a position to be successful.

Our plan requires shrader to drop back and wait for slow developing patterns 30 yards down field regardless of a line that gives you 2 seconds.

Which is a staff working with what they have. Putting kids in a position to be successful.

Our plan requires shrader to drop back and wait for slow developing patterns 30 yards down field regardless of a line that gives you 2 seconds.
it is beyond me that they never rolled shrader out

it is beyond me that they never rolled shrader out
Shrader throws poorly when set.. Maybe he cant roll out? Rolling out also requires the Tackle to make a clean block. Something we rarely saw all year.

Well and he's hurt too which doesn't help anything. He has seemed super hesitant to run the ball lately which also makes me wonder if he has something lower body going on too.

Well and he's hurt too which doesn't help anything. He has seemed super hesitant to run the ball lately which also makes me wonder if he has something lower body going on too.

We should've managed the field through the short game is all that I was getting at. Instead we're trying to sledgehammer that square peg into a round hole.

Last edited:
You think if GS’s elbow was not fully healed and it was a 1 year recovery time, then he’d medically redshirt? Unless he didn’t want that, which is probably the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom