The green light to shoot... | Syracusefan.com

The green light to shoot...

UD1954

Scout Team
is one thing...going 4/20(Malachi) and 3/12(Cooney) is another...Malachi and Tevor are streak shooters who when "ON" look really really good...but when they're "OFF" even a open jumper is a adventure. Since this team is gonna struggle to stay above 500 this season once ACC play starts..... playing Kaleb and Frank so few minutes make no sense.....rewarding players with minutes for BAD play makes no sense to me...jmo

is one thing...going 4/20(Malachi) and 3/12(Cooney) is another...Malachi and Tevor are streak shooters who when "ON" look really really good...but when they're "OFF" even a open jumper is a adventure. Since this team is gonna struggle to stay above 500 this season once ACC play starts... playing Kaleb and Frank so few minutes make no sense...rewarding players with minutes for BAD play makes no sense to me...jmo
no one ever calls good shooters streak shooters.

streak shooting is just randomness. roll a die enough times and you'll get 6 a bunch of times in a row but over time, you're going to go 1/6

4/20 is not in the same stratosphere as 3/12. Obviously neither is good, but that's worth noting.

Beating a dead horse at this point but cooneys useful when he creates opportunities for other players. Clearly didnt do that last night. He's never going to be a consistent knock down shooter or scoring leader.

is one thing...going 4/20(Malachi) and 3/12(Cooney) is another...Malachi and Tevor are streak shooters who when "ON" look really really good...but when they're "OFF" even a open jumper is a adventure. Since this team is gonna struggle to stay above 500 this season once ACC play starts... playing Kaleb and Frank so few minutes make no sense...rewarding players with minutes for BAD play makes no sense to me...jmo

I'm fine with both of them going 1-20 if they are taking open, in-ryhthm 3s.

My issue is with the contested, step-back threes early in the shot clock (mostly from Malachi) that we can get any time. Or Trevor's off balance 3s when he's coming off of a screen running 100 mph. Neither are good enough to make those shots, and the coaches need to demand that they take them out of their arsenal.

i'd rather see Malachi put them up than Cooney. I've been watching 4 years of Cooney shooting 3-12.
I agree with that. I also think Malachi is a better driver/finisher as a freshman than Cooney has ever been. I don't think Malachi is that far away from being a monster scorer on offense, really. When you combine the consistent ability he's shown to get to the basket with a more consistent outside shot defenses will have to pick their poison. St. John's opted to let him shoot from deep and it worked out for them because he couldn't hit anything. A day will come though when he'll make teams pay for that decision.

I agree with that. I also think Malachi is a better driver/finisher as a freshman than Cooney has ever been. I don't think Malachi is that far away from being a monster scorer on offense, really. When you combine the consistent ability he's shown to get to the basket with a more consistent outside shot defenses will have to pick their poison. St. John's opted to let him shoot from deep and it worked out for them because he couldn't hit anything. A day will come though when he'll make teams pay for that decision.

Maybe. I'm not sold that he will be an "efficient" big time scorer. More efficient than Cooney? Probably. I think he ends up somewhere in between Dion Waiters and Brandon Triche at the college level. Nothing wrong with that.

The threes he takes are too far out. So are Cooney's.

We would be better off if they got shots closer to the line. Their misses are consistently short.

I'm more bullish on Lydon just because the only change he needs to make in his game is his aggressiveness.

This team will be good when Cooney and Malachi realize that some times, if not most times, they're more effective at the time being driving to the hoop then kicking it back out to Lydon or Gbinije around the perimeter or top of the key. Or ya know, they could really turn their brains on and pull an Ennis, drive to the hoop to get our one semi effective post player Roberson open with space.

Trueblue25 said:
Beating a dead horse at this point but cooneys useful when he creates opportunities for other players. Clearly didnt do that last night. He's never going to be a consistent knock down shooter or scoring leader.

He led the team in assists with 5.

He led the team in assists with 5.
Maybe if he shot less he would've had 7-10. Point being the offense runs smoother when he's a pass first guard looking to create opportunity rather than settle for a 3/12..1/8 (3fg).. performance.

We've watched the same thing for the past few years. Sure Cooney's capable of having a stellar shooting game and putting up 20 or so points. But volume shooting isn't his game and shouldn't be forced.

Cooney has taken 648 three point FGAs and 975 FGs, overall, in his career.

Nothing is going to change.

Same usage. Same percentages. Same inefficiency.

Per 40 minutes he's our worst guard in assists.

Last year, per 40 minutes he was our worst guard for assists. Patterson pretty much doubled him up.

Three years ago, he was our worst too. But nobody else played enough to make it mildly relevant.

Ghost said:
Per 40 minutes he's our worst guard in assists. Last year, per 40 minutes he was our worst guard for assists. Patterson pretty much doubled him up. Three years ago, he was our worst too. But nobody else played enough to make it mildly relevant.

First, that's not a true statement this year (not gonna look at prior years). Second, he's the only guard of the four this year that doesn't play any PG.

Cooney has to play better for the team to succeed. Too many trips down the floor on O and D where he doesnt look anything like a 5th year senior. I hope he can raise his level of play and consistently stay at that level. Our tournament chances pretty much depend on it.

First, that's not a true statement this year (not gonna look at prior years). Second, he's the only guard of the four this year that doesn't play any PG.
That actually is a true statement for this year and previous seasons.
Screenshot_2015-12-14-21-25-51.png

4/20 is not in the same stratosphere as 3/12. Obviously neither is good, but that's worth noting.
One is 20% and the other is 25%.

br801 said:
That actually is a true statement for this year and previous seasons.

Not sure what that is, but SU's website has Cooney with 33 assts in 10 games for a 3.3 average in less than 40 mins, so I don't know how it goes down for 40.

And I'll repeat, he's the only one of the four that gets no time at PG. so I don't get the point.

Who is worse? Unless we're talking walk-ons.

Not sure what that is, but SU's website has Cooney with 33 assts in 10 games for a 3.3 average in less than 40 mins, so I don't know how it goes down for 40.

And I'll repeat, he's the only one of the four that gets no time at PG. so I don't get the point.

I was responding to someone that said he's useful when he's facilitating - the point is, he's not good at facilitating.

Alright well Cooney's gotta figure out how to positively impact the players he's supposed to create opportunities for.

He's not a big shooting threat, again below 35% from 3 and the field. He won't draw extra defenders from good teams.

He's not a great facilitator, as his assist numbers have always been downward of what people want to see from a guard.

Alls I'm saying is at least he's athletic and has the ability to drive. Drive to the hoop, it frees up space for post players (assuming we have one) and shooting threats around the perimeter.

Cooney shouldn't be taking 10-15 shots a game. Play to yours and the teams strengths.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom