The hard part is I like Dino | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The hard part is I like Dino

I was 100% pro-Dino the first 4 years.
I even gave him a pass for 2019.
The last 2 years have done enough I no longer see him as the guy.
When he came he was exciting and easy to like and support.
He has become so conservative and makes so many clock management mistakes.
You can’t defend him anymore in my books.

I don't necessarily agree with your relentless pessimism about the USMNT, but it's hard to argue that Babers is going to be here very much longer.

I don't necessarily agree with your relentless pessimism about the USMNT, but it's hard to argue that Babers is going to be here very much longer.
I love the USMNT I just wish we had a better manager.
Our national team could really be good with all the talent.
It’s just not whom I want in charge. We are going to be make the WC I just want to do damage.

The SU football team needs a new coach so it can actually make Bowl games.

You can't say that. The reason we lost is that Dino called a time out and then chose to kick the fieldgoal (a decision I disagreed with). It had nothing to do with our pedestrian passing game or Clemson's elite defense.
I am not arguing why we lost I am defending Gilbert in this case

I honestly don't care who our coach is going forward - I just want the ability to complete a pass of more than 10 yards or more than a rare occasion

Do you guys know how hard it is to pass against Clemson? They have 4 and 5 star guys everywhere in their secondary who will dare a Qb to throw and close like a bolt of lighting for an INT. Venables is constantly gaming and disguising and taking chances because he knows he has the high level. high IQ players that can recover and make plays. The QB has no confidence to throw into what appear to be openings, he is also playing defensively, any QB who faces them, not just Shrader. That pass that Shrader hit Pena down the seam was awesome, but I don't think there were many other opportunities like that. Not enough that you could call those plays very often.

He is a different guy from the fun guy who was going viral his first three years and made us exciting. He has looked haggard and lost since 2019.

He is a different guy from the fun guy who was going viral his first three years and made us exciting. He has looked haggard and lost since 2019.

Part of me worries that the difficulty of this job wore him down and will beat down the next coach, but I kinda think the ACC just figured him out

You can't say that. The reason we lost is that Dino called a time out and then chose to kick the fieldgoal (a decision I disagreed with). It had nothing to do with our pedestrian passing game or Clemson's elite defense.
Ehhh...you are saying even if we tied or made the 4th and 1 we win and neither are certain. I can say that the interception Shrader threw took points. Also if he had thrown a catchable ball to Cooper on his short post route there was daylight all the way to the endzone, no one would have had him. The fake punt was also a killer and the flags were also killing us. My point is for every decision people want to say is Dinos fault, there are numerous other reasons on the field as to why we lost. I agree with those saying you go for it though. I said it about FSU and it applies here. You don't beat teams like Clemson kicking field goals. In addition our oline is hurting. I saw Servais and Davis both limping at games end. They were running on fumes at that point. Go for the dub in regulation. If you lose you at least lost going for the knockout and no I would not be yelling at Dino to be fired if he did that.

Somebody should send Babers this book…

Part of me worries that the difficulty of this job wore him down and will beat down the next coach, but I kinda think the ACC just figured him out
Good points. Psychologically, I wonder about the accumulative effect all the losing has had on Dino's in-game decision making and confidence as a HC. Even though this has never been an area of strength, his feel for the game and willingness to go for it has changed.

The less obvious impact to the program is that all the losing is reinforcing the perception that you can't win at SU. This has to factor into the decision making of if or when to fire DB.

Ehhh...you are saying even if we tied or made the 4th and 1 we win and neither are certain. I can say that the interception Shrader threw took points. Also if he had thrown a catchable ball to Cooper on his short post route there was daylight all the way to the endzone, no one would have had him. The fake punt was also a killer and the flags were also killing us. My point is for every decision people want to say is Dinos fault, there are numerous other reasons on the field as to why we lost. I agree with those saying you go for it though. I said it about FSU and it applies here. You don't beat teams like Clemson kicking field goals. In addition our oline is hurting. I saw Servais and Davis both limping at games end. They were running on fumes at that point. Go for the dub in regulation. If you lose you at least lost going for the knockout and no I would not be yelling at Dino to be fired if he did that.
See post #29 about me forgetting to use my sarcasm font.

I don’t think our program can afford, money and structurally, to fire Dino. Not this year. It’d be potentially catastrophic. He still has my support but next years gotta be the year
Love ya TrueBlue if this is true then the program is a midmajor masquerading in a P5.

Structurally?
I mean c’mon.
The coaching mistakes are bigger than the structure of the program.

Next season’s schedule is a lot more difficult. I would have a new staff take their lumps in that they be DMW next year.

Money is such a joke. This school can afford it. If they can’t the funds are mismanaged beyond doubt.
TV revenue and sponsorships are bringing in revenue. That is before one ticket is sold and a donation is made.

Love ya TrueBlue if this is true then the program is a midmajor masquerading in a P5.

Structurally?
I mean c’mon.
The coaching mistakes are bigger than the structure of the program.

Next season’s schedule is a lot more difficult. I would have a new staff take their lumps in that they be DMW next year.

Money is such a joke. This school can afford it. If they can’t the funds are mismanaged beyond doubt.
TV revenue and sponsorships are bringing in revenue. That is before one ticket is sold and a donation is made.
Im just not sure I’d trust the school to bring in the right replacement at this point. I don’t even know who i’d want aside from Doug. Not sure how much longer Cuse can go with being consistently bad

im all for being decisive but this is just depressing at this point

My impression is that Dino is a very happy loser and, more than not, is just mailing it in for the paycheck. Whatever vision, imagination, energy and commitment he came to SU with appears to have been lost or greatly diminished. The Orange is the new slow. We are starting a QB who is an interesting combination of talents but throwing is unfortunately not one of them. He simply has failed to create the program he promised to create and he does not appear to have endeared himself to many of the football alumni which I think is regrettable and an important resource that has been effectively lost.

The problem with Shrader is that if he can't plant the right foot, he lacks the arm strength to make an accurate pass more than 20 yards or so in the air. He could improve in this regard in the off-season.
Watching the replay now on ACCN, since I couldn't watch last night, but lots of flat footed throws. He really struggled throwing to the sidelines.

I cried to sleep last night. We came this close to win. Why do bad things happen to good people?

Being conservative has been a function of not having a QB, oline, and WRs he trusts. The oline seems to have been fixed. Shraders poor accuracy and poor WR play still make it harder to take chances the way he did with Dungey and WRs like AET, Ishael, Philips, and Custis. Of course recruiting those positions is ultimately his responsibility. TD never became the guy we hoped and a big mistake was made when he hired the wrong QB coach. Hopefully, that's fixed now and hopefully Shrader and/or Lamson can give us the QB play we need to get back to the aggressive mentality. WR is still a pretty big question mark.

He's upgraded most of the roster and has shown the willingness to make changes. Missing on a QB can hurt for a while, especially when you're not a program that draws QB talent every year. Dino is far from perfect, but anyone can see progress has been and is being made. We're better this year than we were last year or 2019, and we're better now than we were the first quarter of the season.

I don’t think our program can afford, money and structurally, to fire Dino. Not this year. It’d be potentially catastrophic. He still has my support but next years gotta be the year
Yeah some people are not understanding certain things. Blue is exactly right. Unless the contract actually stated the buyout spreads over x years, the fired coach doesn't have to have his agent negotiate jack because that's what the university wants. 2nd whether paid in lump or not, it will influence how much the AD can potentially use for a new coach and staff. So everyone thinking we will get Marrone or Moorehead better think again because they won't come if Syracuse is requesting the new HC takes coupons while paying the check on the prior coach. Lastly I am pretty damn sure 100% of the people on this board wanted Dino extended after 10-3 before he was stolen by USC or FSU. Well the AD listened and pony'd up. Now crap is happening. So if you want Dino gone now and if the buyout is around $10mm to $12mm , please take a picture of the $100k plus booster check your sending in like the other schools you refer to whose boosters pay the buyout so we can all see you putting your money where you're mouth is so to speak. I will give you a like in the chat I promise for your commitment to the cause.

Being conservative has been a function of not having a QB, oline, and WRs he trusts. The oline seems to have been fixed. Shraders poor accuracy and poor WR play still make it harder to take chances the way he did with Dungey and WRs like AET, Ishael, Philips, and Custis. Of course recruiting those positions is ultimately his responsibility. TD never became the guy we hoped and a big mistake was made when he hired the wrong QB coach. Hopefully, that's fixed now and hopefully Shrader and/or Lamson can give us the QB play we need to get back to the aggressive mentality. WR is still a pretty big question mark.

He's upgraded most of the roster and has shown the willingness to make changes. Missing on a QB can hurt for a while, especially when you're not a program that draws QB talent every year. Dino is far from perfect, but anyone can see progress has been and is being made. We're better this year than we were last year or 2019, and we're better now than we were the first quarter of the season.

We’re better due to the change at qb creating a new wrinkle that has opened the running game but we’re piling up injuries and transfers that are going to hurt our efficiency on both offense and defense going forward. I’m really concerned what the starting lineup and our depth situation is going to look like by the Boston College game.

You know what I don’t like about Dino?

The fact that he NEVER takes the blame for his team in post game interviews. Never once have I heard him say “this lost starts with me.”

Every Saturday you hear coaches across the country bite the bullet after a loss even when they don’t have the glaring game management issues that Dino has. Whether they really believe it or not, they say it.

Our guy doesn’t. Great he doesn’t call out players specifically but it’s time for him to accept responsibility for their performance. The arrogance act is tired and well past acceptable.
He is a Strange Cat. On one side all Holy and Humble but at the core extremely stubborn and lacks any degree of responsibility.

Yeah some people are not understanding certain things. Blue is exactly right. Unless the contract actually stated the buyout spreads over x years, the fired coach doesn't have to have his agent negotiate jack because that's what the university wants. 2nd whether paid in lump or not, it will influence how much the AD can potentially use for a new coach and staff. So everyone thinking we will get Marrone or Moorehead better think again because they won't come if Syracuse is requesting the new HC takes coupons while paying the check on the prior coach. Lastly I am pretty damn sure 100% of the people on this board wanted Dino extended after 10-3 before he was stolen by USC or FSU. Well the AD listened and pony'd up. Now crap is happening. So if you want Dino gone now and if the buyout is around $10mm to $12mm , please take a picture of the $100k plus booster check your sending in like the other schools you refer to whose boosters pay the buyout so we can all see you putting your money where you're mouth is so to speak. I will give you a like in the chat I promise for your commitment to the cause.
If I had the money to do it I would. But just because I’m not rich doesn’t mean I can’t support a course of action that costs money. In addition if we are willing to spend millions on a coach for an extension then you have to be willing to pay to cut with a losing coach. Right now it feels like we want to get rid of him but we are playing skittish with money. Somethint is going to have to change cause what’s happening rn isn’t working.

If we are stuck with Dino next year we need a new OC, otherwise it will be a losing season. But why would a decent OC come for a lame duck HC? Bringing Dino back next year is a waste of time like bringing back GRob for year 4.

Gilbert has a QB who can't pass, WRs who can't get open, no TEs, an OL that's improving but still not great. But he has a great RB and a QB who can run.

I'm sure they'll be lining up at the door to be Dino's 4th OC in 7 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom