The hard part is I like Dino | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The hard part is I like Dino

Part of me worries that the difficulty of this job wore him down and will beat down the next coach, but I kinda think the ACC just figured him out
he's broken by the qb play. if you have a chance to win with that kind of passing and WR play, the offense hasn't been "figured out"

He is a Strange Cat. On one side all Holy and Humble but at the core extremely stubborn and lacks any degree of responsibility.
we all saw how weird he was when he jeckyl and hyded over bud or whoever not closing their eyes on his goofy command.

If I had the money to do it I would. But just because I’m not rich doesn’t mean I can’t support a course of action that costs money. In addition if we are willing to spend millions on a coach for an extension then you have to be willing to pay to cut with a losing coach. Right now it feels like we want to get rid of him but we are playing skittish with money. Somethint is going to have to change cause what’s happening rn isn’t working.
I am not saying Dino deserves to be retained. I am saying that people throw around statements like pay the buyout, it doesn't matter, we can spread it out or if we can't afford it we shouldn't do it and there is multiple factors that go into it. That doesn't mean Syracuse wants status quo. it doesn't mean the AD is not doing his job. It doesn't mean that fans who are saying he will be here another year are good with mediocrity. It doesn't mean some of us are wearing Orange glasses. It means there are a number of factors that go into a directional decision like firing Dino and paying a buyout and bringing in a new coach and staff and bitching about it every thread and saying Syracuse is toothless or is happy with losing is just being either ignorant or tone deaf to what goes into it and to be clear you don't have some deeper understanding of football or anything either. Everyone understands wins and freaking losses and what is causing them to occur.

Gilbert has a QB who can't pass, WRs who can't get open, no TEs, an OL that's improving but still not great. But he has a great RB and a QB who can run.

I'm sure they'll be lining up at the door to be Dino's 4th OC in 7 years.
Gilbert being identified as THE problem is way overblown here.

Are people aware of how revamped the offense is to fit the talent? The skill players were all wearing wrist bands with play sheets last night. I think that is a first in the DB era. There has been an evolution here that deserves more attention. But i get that losing supersedes that.

The embarrassing lack of talent at the WR position is a huge issue, probably the biggest issue IMO.

I am not saying Dino deserves to be retained. I am saying that people throw around statements like pay the buyout, it doesn't matter, we can spread it out or if we can't afford it we shouldn't do it and there is multiple factors that go into it. That doesn't mean Syracuse wants status quo. it doesn't mean the AD is not doing his job. It doesn't mean that fans who are saying he will be here another year are good with mediocrity. It doesn't mean some of us are wearing Orange glasses. It means there are a number of factors that go into a directional decision like firing Dino and paying a buyout and bringing in a new coach and staff and bitching about it every thread and saying Syracuse is toothless or is happy with losing is just being either ignorant or tone deaf to what goes into it and to be clear you don't have some deeper understanding of football or anything either. Everyone understands wins and freaking losses and what is causing them to occur.
Great points. And...if people think that JW has unilateral decision-making power on whether to pay the buy out, they are mistaken.

So basically sit back and accept the mediocrity.

If the AD wants to make a move and the school doesn’t back the AD then the AD isn’t the AD.

The AD is paid to manage the athletic department. Not making a change because of the buyout would mean the AD made a terrible deal in the first place. We all wanted Dino retained the deal shouldn’t have given him rope to suck for 3 years and prevent change.

We need a bowl season this year.
5 bowl less seasons in 6 years is not good enough.

Last season counts. He is lucky that 1-10 didn’t get him fired because of Covid. I get keeping after that.
If we go 4-8 or 5-7 that isn’t good enough.

Wildhack can and should find ways to make a move if we don’t go bowling.

This is ridiculous.

Gilbert being identified as THE problem is way overblown here.

Are people aware of how revamped the offense is to fit the talent? The skill players were all wearing wrist bands with play sheets last night. I think that is a first in the DB era. There has been an evolution here that deserves more attention. But i get that losing supersedes that.

The embarrassing lack of talent at the WR position is a huge issue, probably the biggest issue IMO.
But the play calling in the 2nd half went against the talent. The first half was a good job overall. Then he the bed in the 2nd half. It was a copy of the Rutgers game. We didn't even try to run the ball the 2nd half. How does a 60-40 pass to run ratio (even bigger gap in the 2nd half) fit our talent? How do you have a 19 play stretch where Tucker has 2 rushes? Outside of the Pena play the O was a disaster the 2nd half. How would it have been worse if we ran it instead of passed it?

If the AD wants to make a move and the school doesn’t back the AD then the AD isn’t the AD.

The AD is paid to manage the athletic department. Not making a change because of the buyout would mean the AD made a terrible deal in the first place. We all wanted Dino retained the deal shouldn’t have given him rope to suck for 3 years and prevent change.

Last season counts. He is lucky that 1-10 didn’t get him fired because of Covid. I get keeping after that.

This is ridiculous.
Shoulda woulda coulda wont

But the play calling in the 2nd half went against the talent. The first half was a good job overall. Then he the bed in the 2nd half. It was a copy of the Rutgers game. We didn't even try to run the ball the 2nd half. How does a 60-40 pass to run ratio (even bigger gap in the 2nd half) fit our talent? How do you have a 19 play stretch where Tucker has 2 rushes? Outside of the Pena play the O was a disaster the 2nd half. How would it have been worse if we ran it instead of passed it?
I hear you. I also think that Clemson's adjustment after halftime was the determining factor more than play calling. Could it have been worse if we ran more? Probably not. Or, maybe we wouldn't have scored at all. Regardless, I think that it is clear that the offense/scheme/philosophy has been adjusted to better match the talent we do have. That was the larger point.

This is ridiculous.
Not even close to what I said and you know that Alsacs. Step back from the ledge of being bombastic and read what I said. Some additional framing:
1. Nobody actually knows Dinos contract. There is a buyout clause we are likely certain. Does that tie to a payment schedule over years or not?
2. There are spend authorization limits. As 007 states ADJW can't even remotely make that decision unilaterally and I will take it further. That sort of buyout would require Board approval.
3) Does the coaches contract renew every December? January or hire date? Does waiting now and until say his hire date reduce the buyout so it makes sense to wait?
4) I think I heard the university is in process of getting a new CFO or just recently hired one. How does the buyout impact either budgeting in year 2021 or 2022 based on what he or she is trying to do? Does he or she push a budget tradeoff if the buyout is approved meaning a reduction somewhere else?
5). Depending on total buyout and lump sum versus per annum , does that impact budget availability for a high end hire or do we have to go lower cost young coach? Yell at the moon all you want but budgets are put in place for reasons that should not require explanation.
6). Given 5 above and the buyout does the Board place some parameters around what ADJW can do given payout size?
7) Who beyond Syracuse is going to be in the market for a new coach? Does it look like a buyer's market or are pickings slim?

Notice I am not saying stay with the status quo. Notice I am not saying do nothing. I am saying simply there are multiple things that go into framing the decision and whether you pull the trigger or not. Pretty simple.

He's only a sophomore, so I disagree. He has room for improvement, and is still learning.
I don't think it's that simple. There were a few short passes he tried to rip with no pressure that went into the turf 5 yards in front of the reciever. I hope some of what we see is correctable. He is what he is and I think he still gives us the best chance to win right now.
At least one of those he appeared to throw into the ground on purpose. Coverage was tight and he seemed to realize it as he threw. That was also the play he shook his head at as they signaled it in. I’d like to see the coaches give Shrader more freedom and ability to call plays at the line.

dungey took over the offense at times and was tailor made for speed. Schrader has that same style though no idea if he can read defenses as well.

Not even close to what I said and you know that Alsacs. Step back from the ledge of being bombastic and read what I said. Some additional framing:
1. Nobody actually knows Dinos contract. There is a buyout clause we are likely certain. Does that tie to a payment schedule over years or not?
2. There are spend authorization limits. As 007 states ADJW can't even remotely make that decision unilaterally and I will take it further. That sort of buyout would require Board approval.
3) Does the coaches contract renew every December? January or hire date? Does waiting now and until say his hire date reduce the buyout so it makes sense to wait?
4) I think I heard the university is in process of getting a new CFO or just recently hired one. How does the buyout impact either budgeting in year 2021 or 2022 based on what he or she is trying to do? Does he or she push a budget tradeoff if the buyout is approved meaning a reduction somewhere else?
5). Depending on total buyout and lump sum versus per annum , does that impact budget availability for a high end hire or do we have to go lower cost young coach? Yell at the moon all you want but budgets are put in place for reasons that should not require explanation.
6). Given 5 above and the buyout does the Board place some parameters around what ADJW can do given payout size?
7) Who beyond Syracuse is going to be in the market for a new coach? Does it look like a buyer's market or are pickings slim?

Notice I am not saying stay with the status quo. Notice I am not saying do nothing. I am saying simply there are multiple things that go into framing the decision and whether you pull the trigger or not. Pretty simple.
Fair enough in your post.
With that said to your last point If we don’t go to a bowl this season and keep Dino then the AD better be transparent and explain it to the fanbase.

If he does wishy washy corporate ESPN then he will lose ticket renewals.

Wildhack does not communicate well with the fanbase.

Did you watch the same game the rest of us did??

We absolutely tried to run the ball in the 2nd half - and were getting STUFFED.
REPEATEDLY.

Venables had changed Clemson’s D game plan, and were totally stacking the box, DARING us to throw.

We are not good enough to ‘impose our will’ on a bunch of 4 & 5* defenders, just because we like to run and are pretty good at it.

When the opponents D has totally sold out to stop the run, you HAVE to pass.

So we did.
Or, rather - we tried to pass.

Dino is likable most of the time. He gets testy sometimes needlessly in interviews though and that forcing everyone to close their eyes thing when he first got here was really weird.

Regarding the OP, I'm 99% sure there literally isn't a single person on this board who doesn't like Dino as a human being. It's his decisions that suck.
I also think he’s built something here. Problem is he’s driving this car which I like in an erratic fashion

Did you watch the same game the rest of us did??

We absolutely tried to run the ball in the 2nd half - and were getting STUFFED.
REPEATEDLY.

Venables had changed Clemson’s D game plan, and were totally stacking the box, DARING us to throw.

We are not good enough to ‘impose our will’ on a bunch of 4 & 5* defenders, just because we like to run and are pretty good at it.

When the opponents D has totally sold out to stop the run, you HAVE to pass.

So we did.
Or, rather - we tried to pass.
19 plays and two runs says you are wrong

19 plays and two runs says you are wrong

No.
It says there’s no point continuing to bang your head against a brick wall after you’ve done it a few times, and it didn’t budge.

I love the USMNT I just wish we had a better manager.
Our national team could really be good with all the talent.
It’s just not whom I want in charge. We are going to be make the WC I just want to do damage.

The SU football team needs a new coach so it can actually make Bowl games.

Just for the record, I don't think either one of them will hold their jobs for more than the next 2 years.

And I honestly think that each guy is not that far away from success. That's the hard part.

You hate to burn it down, because implementing different strategies leads to roster turnover, and you start all over on another 4 year project.

Last edited:
No.
It says there’s no point continuing to bang your head against a brick wall after you’ve done it a few times, and it didn’t budge.
So after the first run of the half you abandon the run cuz you lost yards? That is stupidly. Make Clemson stop you before you adjust.

It’s hard to win with this sad group of receivers. It was the difference in the game. We have ZERO receivers with the ability to go up in traffic to make a big catch, including the former prima Dona Harris. Clemson made every big catch in traffic last night and that was the difference in the game.

Shrader missed a lot of throws yesterday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom