The Highside (including OAA vs ESPN review) | Syracusefan.com

The Highside (including OAA vs ESPN review)

CaptainJ

Disembodied?
This is my latest installment and will mostly relate to the 2nd half, as I just re-watched a different broadcast of it than I originally watched, and was paying attention to things involving the character of Silent G being called into question. Before I forget, I'd like to give myself a promo, for only being a bucket each off on the exact score, and calling the line perfectly. It's just one game though, and while I don't think I can apply to be a professional handicapper, a person can dream, can't they?

I'll start off with some non-play related stuff including the difference in broadcasts, having been a communications major for a year. I forgot that I hadn't cancelled Orange All Access, and felt fortunate to have done so being I was able to watch a replay that wasn't yet available on ESPN3's replays. I was a bit harsh on OAA in one post, but they have seemingly addressed all of my complaints, especially showing less of the rotating S. You can see more fan-related things like people dancing in the crowd, the sit shoot and score, and I had a better view of DC2's gear. The guy certainly likes to dress expressively, and I say good for him. I'm not sure how different that will be when the cheerleaders and dancers return. I really can't say which broadcast crew I preferred, as they each provided antics the other didn't. I think I took in more useful information from OAA than ESPN3, but that could be due to it being the 2nd one I watched, in fairness.

Being one of our members mentioned his daughter sang the national anthem, I actually watched it vs heading to the 2nd half as determined as I was to see it. The young lady did a fine job, and I found her to be quite expressive at times, though not as much as DC2's wardrobe technician.

The first half didn't cause enough concern on here to warrant me rewatching it for this post(yes, I am tailoring this to the tides of the board, to an extent. We scored a good number of points against a team that was slowing us down, as Boeheim said. The defense was more than adequate against a cold shooting opponent. In the second half, it seems as if the energy in the dome shifted. Some of you may remember BBallBeadle's post about the science of the energy in a place, and the announcers mentioned the demeanor of the crowd in the 2nd half. I can't draw any conclusions, but it is going to be something I pay more attention to after recently reading that post/article.

Christmas25 seems to be enjoying the role of leader, and I can't blame others who think he might have been capable of some of this sooner. He was playing with passion, although I was worried he might let it get the better of him after one of the opposing players started jawing at him about throwing an elbow. Right afterward on the other end, a play to him got broken up, but he seemed to maintain a good attitude with a hand clap instead of any other reaction he could have had. However, right after that he seemed driven to score, threw his body a couple of times into the defender, and then threw up a wild hookshot after not being able to get position. Luckily, a defender was called for a needless foul on the play, according to the OAA announcers. Other than that, not much I feel like faulting the guy for tonight. I don't see it requiring an extreme amount of faith that this guy will continue to improve and have a solid overall season even once we get into the ACC. Let's not forget he hit 9 of 10 from the free throw line, which technically doesn't change in difficulty when you reach the ACC, and is something not that common for SU centers.

CMac looked good on offense, despite some breakdowns leading to points on the other end. Who can be certain that Chad Ford is wrong, as likely as it may be that he is? Cmac has a lot of learning to do like others, but so far is living up to my expectations, and at times exceeding them. Kaleb Joseph is another guy that most of that goes for as well. How about that nearly home run pass to Christmas for a dunk? I'm sure I'm not the only one who can appreciate the change in style he brings, and is willing to believe he can improve in other areas enough to make his value worth even more to the team than our last point guard.

Cooney time. I'm grimacing a bit on the inside because of all of the stuff already written about Cooney on here. His jumper has cooled down to the point where the rate of shaking on the potatoes' atoms has nearly frozen them in place. I don't care to predict how soon that may change, but it should due to law of averages alone, if not coaching. BJ made progress in my mind, even if small. His shot was a bit cold, but he had as many rebounds as Christmas, second only to CMac. Add in a steal and a block, and I'd say he did alright considering his experience. As young as the kid is, I wouldn't be shocked if he could have a senior season not that different than CJ Fair's, provided he gets the proper playing time between now and then.

Is Buss Patterson on the back of a milk carton yet? I'm not sure what he has done in practice, but he gets Boeheimed in a way akin to us preemptively attack nations we don't like, he just sits without having to have done much wrong in a game. He's not usually in the game long enough to develop any sort of rhythm.

Chino only had one minute less than Patterson, with 6, and managed to make good on it. On offense he scored 4 points, including 2 nearly perfect free throws. His field goal was the only one this game that caused me to pump my fist, possibly partially due to residue from our last backup center. On defense, I admit that by that point in the game(both times I watched) I didn't care to watch close enough to critique him. Doyin Akintobi-Adeyeye had free throws on the other end of the spectrum, but I was pleased he managed to get to the line in only one minute of play. In the one minute, he also managed 2 rebounds, including an offensive board. Hearing how he worked his way onto the team after working out with Christmas made me like the guy even more.

Silent G received the scorn of some folks on here, causing a debate whether he was a "cancer" or not on this board. Actually, he apparently is on the board, but I think it's a bit premature to say he is one on the team. His numbers weren't great,but I saw one play toward the end of the game where he gained possession for the Orange by wisely batting the ball off an opponent's leg. He didn't seem lost or like a player who had given up to me on that play. As for the 2 on 0 break that some on here complained about after he dunked it, I asked earlier how it was different than the 2 on 0 the previous game where Kjo2 kept it for a dunk. After watching both a second time, I will answer that question by saying G created the steal and later capitalized on it by being 15 feet ahead of the nearest Orange. In the last 2 on 0, BJ created the steal and at one point was dead even with KJo2 on the break before slowing down. I'm not sure why folks would discredit G's steal and points as they were at least as warranted his Kaleb's points after BJ's steal, if not more. Maybe because newly eligible Christian White was in the frontcourt behind him? CWhite did show some great hustle in the game, diving out of bounds trying to save a ball. It seemed like the dome was it's loudest when he had the ball. He even drew comparisons to Pistol Pete from OAA, albeit for the way his hair flowed when he ran.

Apparently beating a team by 24 after they recently beat a top 25 program isn't enough to outweigh the downsides of the game for some. Luckily for those who demand more of a barometer, the Orange face a ranked team on the road in their next game. This board could use some more Mantonio, in my opinion. Let's go Orange!

16458145-mmmain.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff, I enjoy your interpretation of the facts as well as the game itself. :cool:

I think you have inspired me to watch the replay on OAA as my ESPN3 feed although constant fluctuated from blurry player shaped images to very clear HD. I also do enjoy the take of the local guys as its very different from the national guys.

Overall I was pretty pleased with the game and players. Improving defense, improving ball movement and looking to run. Other than the our shooting, the early 2nd half energy crisis and the sketchy way we handles the break the team is moving in the right direction.

This is my latest installment and will mostly relate to the 2nd half, as I just re-watched a different broadcast of it than I originally watched, and was paying attention to things involving the character of Silent G being called into question. Before I forget, I'd like to give myself a promo, for only being a bucket each off on the exact score, and calling the line perfectly. It's just one game though, and while I don't think I can apply to be a professional handicapper, a person can dream, can't they?

I'll start off with some non-play related stuff including the difference in broadcasts, having been a communications major for a year. I forgot that I hadn't cancelled Orange All Access, and felt fortunate to have done so being I was able to watch a replay that wasn't yet available on ESPN3's replays. I was a bit harsh on OAA in one post, but they have seemingly addressed all of my complaints, especially showing less of the rotating S. You can see more fan-related things like people dancing in the crowd, the sit shoot and score, and I had a better view of DC2's gear. The guy certainly likes to dress expressively, and I say good for him. I'm not sure how different that will be when the cheerleaders and dancers return. I really can't say which broadcast crew I preferred, as they each provided antics the other didn't. I think I took in more useful information from OAA than ESPN3, but that could be due to it being the 2nd one I watched, in fairness.

Being one of our members mentioned his daughter sang the national anthem, I actually watched it vs heading to the 2nd half as determined as I was to see it. The young lady did a fine job, and I found her to be quite expressive at times, though not as much as DC2's wardrobe technician.

The first half didn't cause enough concern on here to warrant me rewatching it for this post(yes, I am tailoring this to the tides of the board, to an extent. We scored a good number of points against a team that was slowing us down, as Boeheim said. The defense was more than adequate against a cold shooting opponent. In the second half, it seems as if the energy in the dome shifted. Some of you may remember BBallBeadle's post about the science of the energy in a place, and the announcers mentioned the demeanor of the crowd in the 2nd half. I can't draw any conclusions, but it is going to be something I pay more attention to after recently reading that post/article.

Christmas25 seems to be enjoying the role of leader, and I can't blame others who think he might have been capable of some of this sooner. He was playing with passion, although I was worried he might let it get the better of him after one of the opposing players started jawing at him about throwing an elbow. Right afterward on the other end, a play to him got broken up, but he seemed to maintain a good attitude with a hand clap instead of any other reaction he could have had. However, right after that he seemed driven to score, threw his body a couple of times into the defender, and then threw up a wild hookshot after not being able to get position. Luckily, a defender was called for a needless foul on the play, according to the OAA announcers. Other than that, not much I feel like faulting the guy for tonight. I don't see it requiring an extreme amount of faith that this guy will continue to improve and have a solid overall season even once we get into the ACC. Let's not forget he hit 9 of 10 from the free throw line, which technically doesn't change in difficulty when you reach the ACC, and is something not that common for SU centers.

CMac looked good on offense, despite some breakdowns leading to points on the other end. Who can be certain that Chad Ford is wrong, as likely as it may be that he is? Cmac has a lot of learning to do like others, but so far is living up to my expectations, and at times exceeding them. Kaleb Joseph is another guy that most of that goes for as well. How about that nearly home run pass to Christmas for a dunk? I'm sure I'm not the only one who can appreciate the change in style he brings, and is willing to believe he can improve in other areas enough to make his value worth even more to the team than our last point guard.

Cooney time. I'm grimacing a bit on the inside because of all of the stuff already written about Cooney on here. His jumper has cooled down to the point where the rate of shaking on the potatoes' atoms has nearly frozen them in place. I don't care to predict how soon that may change, but it should due to law of averages alone, if not coaching. BJ made progress in my mind, even if small. His shot was a bit cold, but he had as many rebounds as Christmas, second only to CMac. Add in a steal and a block, and I'd say he did alright considering his experience. As young as the kid is, I wouldn't be shocked if he could have a senior season not that different than CJ Fair's, provided he gets the proper playing time between now and then.

Is Buss Patterson on the back of a milk carton yet? I'm not sure what he has done in practice, but he gets Boeheimed in a way akin to us preemptively attack nations we don't like, he just sits without having to have done much wrong in a game. He's not usually in the game long enough to develop any sort of rhythm.

Chino only had one minute less than Patterson, with 6, and managed to make good on it. On offense he scored 4 points, including 2 nearly perfect free throws. His field goal was the only one this game that caused me to pump my fist, possibly partially due to residue from our last backup center. On defense, I admit that by that point in the game(both times I watched) I didn't care to watch close enough to critique him. Doyin Akintobi-Adeyeye had free throws on the other end of the spectrum, but I was pleased he managed to get to the line in only one minute of play. In the one minute, he also managed 2 rebounds, including an offensive board. Hearing how he worked his way onto the team after working out with Christmas made me like the guy even more.

Silent G received the scorn of some folks on here, causing a debate whether he was a "cancer" or not on this board. Actually, he apparently is on the board, but I think it's a bit premature to say he is one on the team. His numbers weren't great,but I saw one play toward the end of the game where he gained possession for the Orange by wisely batting the ball off an opponent's leg. He didn't seem lost or like a player who had given up to me on that play. As for the 2 on 0 break that some on here complained about after he dunked it, I asked earlier how it was different than the 2 on 0 the previous game where Kjo2 kept it for a dunk. After watching both a second time, I will answer that question by saying G created the steal and later capitalized on it by being 15 feet ahead of the nearest Orange. In the last 2 on 0, BJ created the steal and at one point was dead even with KJo2 on the break before slowing down. I'm not sure why folks would discredit G's steal and points as they were at least as warranted his Kaleb's points after BJ's steal, if not more. Maybe because newly eligible Christian White was in the frontcourt behind him? CWhite did show some great hustle in the game, diving out of bounds trying to save a ball. It seemed like the dome was it's loudest when he had the ball. He even drew comparisons to Pistol Pete from OAA, albeit for the way his hair flowed when he ran.

Apparently beating a team by 24 after they recently beat a top 25 program isn't enough to outweigh the downsides of the game for some. Luckily for those who demand more of a barometer, the Orange face a ranked team on the road in their next game. This board could use some more Mantonio, in my opinion. Let's go Orange!

I think some of the heat G got for not passing it on the fast break is because of how the ESPN3 broadcasters critiqued it.

I think some of the heat G got for not passing it on the fast break is because of how the ESPN3 broadcasters critiqued it.

I agree completely. I'm willing to take it a step further and say that after watching the Orange All Access version as opposed to to the ESPN3 version I saw first, that if one watched on OAA they likely wouldn't have made the comments we saw on here. This is just a small example of how the media influences our thinking. G was certainly much closer to the hoop and I am not even sure if he saw White without going back and watching it again. Before the dunk, G had only one more basket than White for the game. There was apparently a reason JB left him in with the walk ons. I suspect folks on occasion take the announcers a little too literally.

Great stuff, I enjoy your interpretation of the facts as well as the game itself. :cool:

I think you have inspired me to watch the replay on OAA as my ESPN3 feed although constant fluctuated from blurry player shaped images to very clear HD. I also do enjoy the take of the local guys as its very different from the national guys.

Overall I was pretty pleased with the game and players. Improving defense, improving ball movement and looking to run. Other than the our shooting, the early 2nd half energy crisis and the sketchy way we handles the break the team is moving in the right direction.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and may put forth similar recaps in the future, but I'm unsure of the regularity. If you ended up rewatching any of the game, I'd be very interested to hear your takes on it, especially concerning the board's rumors about G.

If anyone hasn't seen it and would like to, I just added a picture of DC2's sideline attire in the OP, courtesy of the PS and the original link in the articles section. I wonder how it folks on here would rate it vs the sweater? I'd love to see DC2 bring the kind of confidence he displays in fashion to the court when he returns. I also enjoy the fact that the kid has figured out an extra way to get his name mentioned while he is healing, whether it was his intent or not. Some of the comments beneath the Post Standard article got a little heated. Heck, I'll add it here also so folks won't have to scroll up. He's certainly slimmed down, hasn't he?

16458145-mmmain.jpg

I watched the first half on OAA and I did enjoy the extra insights but things happen on holiday weekends when you have 3 children so I never watched the second half on OAA.

WOW DC2 just WOW. I like it though and I will say that a move from sweaters to sweats indicates a higher percentage of a possible return for him this season. I also think that the fact that the coaches didn't look to really force feed Chino minutes in the easier games we have had means they are at least somewhat optimistic in the prospect of DC2 being able to play 8-12 minutes a game for us this season. That is my poor attempt at feeding my brain an optimistic look at our lack of depth in the middle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom