the JB accident settlement | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

the JB accident settlement

A few things:

1. In some states you need a physical manifestation of mental trauma, not sure what ny is.
2. If he had a compensible claim, you have to think how collectible a judgment would be.
3. You obviously recognize this but the pr would be horrible for Jb

But possible

Thanks.

Final point - death cases arent worth a lot in ny. The case would have been worth a lot more if the guy survived but was a parapalegic or something. Then the medical bills are crazy. The damages here were probably some wage loss, maybe some conscious pain and suffering, and loss of consortium for wife and any kids.

When I used to travel to Quebec for work, the joke there was - if you hit someone, get out to see if they are ok. If they are still alive - run them over again.

Deaths were less costly there too - by a lot.

It may have been 45, don’t think it turns to 55 until after Midler which is even crazier because many people aren’t going below 65/70 through there.
Still seems to be an excessive rate of speed for the conditions. I was taught to go less than the limit in conditions like that, and especially on an elevated road (it was, wasn’t it? ).

Guilty!
When I first moved back I was as shocked that it turned into a speedway. I’m usually heavy with the foot and people were flying by me like I was standing still.

Doubt there was much traffic when JB was rolling through but if there was anyone on the road I’m assuming he was flowing with any traffic that was there. He doesn’t strike me as someone flying around during a storm.

Still seems to be an excessive rate of speed for the conditions. I was taught to go less than the limit in conditions like that, and especially on an elevated road (it was, wasn’t it? ).

C'mon! No-one drives at a speed less than the limit anymore....no matter the conditions!! You're lucky if people drive at just 10 mph over the speed limit when conditions are poor.

Another argument for wider spread public transportation options...or maybe more self-driving vehicles.

C'mon! No-one drives at a speed less than the limit anymore...no matter the conditions!! You're lucky if people drive at just 10 mph over the speed limit when conditions are poor.

Another argument for wider spread public transportation options...or maybe more self-driving vehicles.
Let’s just say I disagree with your first paragraph, but maybe I’m jaded by living in Vermont with rational people.

Let’s just say I disagree with your first paragraph, but maybe I’m jaded by living in Vermont with rational people.

I'm a road-runner and I used to feel safe jogging on the streets.

Now I watch people drive 10 miles an hour plus over the 35 m.p.h. speed limit. Ignore school zone reduced speed limits. Fly through neighborhoods that have kids playing in them. I think all stop signs are optional now. And that's just on the local roads.

Get out on the real roads and it becomes a cluster-spuck.

I'm a road-runner and I used to feel safe jogging on the streets. Now I watch people drive 10 miles an hour plus over the 35 m.p.h. speed limit. Fly through neighborhoods that have kids playing in them. Ignore school zone reduced speed limits and that's just on the local roads. Get out on the real roads and it becomes a cluster-spuck.
Yeah, I see that as well when I run on roads when I travel. Here as well honestly. But in bad conditions, most of us are reasonable.

More of an Outback state than an WRX state.

I'm a road-runner and I used to feel safe jogging on the streets.

Now I watch people drive 10 miles an hour plus over the 35 m.p.h. speed limit. Ignore school zone reduced speed limits. Fly through neighborhoods that have kids playing in them. I think all stop signs are optional now. And that's just on the local roads.

Get out on the real roads and it becomes a cluster-spuck.
I'd say people generally do a pretty good job obeying the school zones in my area, but pretty similar to what you said other than that.

I was taught to never exceed the speed limit and come to a full stop at stop signs... but I broke both those rules this morning. Not saying its good, but it is realistic

I posted a thread about this a couple days ago on the OT board. Pedestrian fatalities from cars are a major problem in the US that doesn't get nearly enough attention. 20 people die every single day.
Yup - and with people driving bigger cars, it's a problem on the rise. I say this as the owner of an SUV.

There is a difference between criminal liability and civil. (Think O.J.)
Jim was traveling almost 20% over the posted speed limit.
You have a duty to be able to stop your vehicle to avoid trouble in the road.
A public trial would have been a spectacle. JB’s defense would have been two-fold: 1) he was not negligent in anyway (NY is a comparative negligence state. The jury apportions “fault” between the parties. JB could have been found to be 10% wrong and would have had to pay something) and 2) the deceased’s life was not worth that much, economically. (NY has some antiquated wrongful death laws for damages.)
It’s unlikely to have been a large settlement.
This is also best for JB and the family.

Pretty negligent to be driving that fast on icy/wet roads. Plus with his age his reflexes aren't as good as they used to be. Definitely the best for everyone for this to be over.

This would have been handled by his insurer, which would have paid the attorneys’ fees and paid the settlement. Nothing to read into - insurers assess risk, measure the economics, put aside reserves and then settle if possible. It’s the industry business model. JB was just along for the ride. No pun intended.

I posted a thread about this a couple days ago on the OT board. Pedestrian fatalities from cars are a major problem in the US that doesn't get nearly enough attention. 20 people die every single day.
just wait til self driving cars become the norm. sleeping and driving 65 or thru downtown traffic is a bad combo. i'm not sure the tech level ever gets there before many many kills. the next ten years with the transition from gas to electric and the auto pilot mode is gonna be tough on everyone. i can actually envision a market soon for a bracelet to be worn by bikers or pedestrians which signals the tesla's "hey i'm human"

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom