the JB accident settlement | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

the JB accident settlement

just wait til self driving cars become the norm. sleeping and driving 65 or thru downtown traffic is a bad combo. i'm not sure the tech level ever gets there before many many kills. the next ten years with the transition from gas to electric and the auto pilot mode is gonna be tough on everyone. i can actually envision a market soon for a bracelet to be worn by bikers or pedestrians which signals the tesla's "hey i'm human"
Once the technology is fully vetted I think self driving cars will be MUCH safer than human driving. No drunk driving, no morons texting while driving, no excessive speeding, etc.

family settles

I just wonder if this was just a way to make it go away and maybe help them out? I mean if the police rule no ticket how can you argue driving recklessly is a thing?

If he was looking to "just help them out", he would have settled years ago. I think it's 6 years since the accident. That's a long time. Boeheim paid lawyers a lot of money NOT to settle, for it to go on for so long. And I would imagine that the reason was that Boeheim probably felt like he hadn't done anything wrong.

C'mon! No-one drives at a speed less than the limit anymore...no matter the conditions!! You're lucky if people drive at just 10 mph over the speed limit when conditions are poor.

Another argument for wider spread public transportation options...or maybe more self-driving vehicles.

I do. People have reasons to be conservative when they drive.

If he was looking to "just help them out", he would have settled years ago. I think it's 6 years since the accident. That's a long time. Boeheim paid lawyers a lot of money NOT to settle, for it to go on for so long. And I would imagine that the reason was that Boeheim probably felt like he hadn't done anything wrong.

Boeheim probably didn't pay a dollar and probably had very little to do with the ultimate settlement figure.

Boeheim probably didn't pay a dollar and probably had very little to do with the ultimate settlement figure.

Yeah, this seems a lot more like the insurance company(ies) chose to settle, rather than have it drag out.

I'm sure JAB would have wanted to fight it, as he likely did not feel at fault (and I don't blame him), but that's how these things tend to go.

And how is Syracuse University a defendant?

insurance follows the car, not the driver. I dont know the situation exactly but if Syracuse owned the car, they maintained the insurance on it and their insurance paid it out.

if i borrow your car - your insurance would cover me.

Yeah, this seems a lot more like the insurance company(ies) chose to settle, rather than have it drag out.

I'm sure JAB would have wanted to fight it, as he likely did not feel at fault (and I don't blame him), but that's how these things tend to go.

Like I mentioned above, if he was driving 20 miles above the limit in icy, wet and dark conditions, then he was more at fault than people give credit for. Would the outcome have been the same if he was driving an appropriate speed for the conditions? He certainly would have had more time to stop.

Like I mentioned above, if he was driving 20 miles above the limit in icy, wet and dark conditions, then he was more at fault than people give credit for. Would the outcome have been the same if he was driving an appropriate speed for the conditions? He certainly would have had more time to stop.
I think it was 20%, if the limit is 45, it’s not too crazy of a speed.

The car had a black box. The investigation determined JB was doing 66 in a 55 five seconds before the accident and 54 when he hit the gentleman. The same investigation said even if JB had been doing the speed limit the end result would have been the same. The other car had crashed and there were no lights and sitting in the middle of the road. JB swerved around it and struck the gentleman.

The car had a black box. The investigation determined JB was doing 66 in a 55 five seconds before the accident and 54 when he hit the gentleman. The same investigation said even if JB had been doing the speed limit the end result would have been the same. The other car had crashed and there were no lights and sitting in the middle of the road. JB swerved around it and struck the gentleman.

He did the best he could under the circumstances. Bad luck happens in life.

He’d be wrong

just wait til self driving cars become the norm. sleeping and driving 65 or thru downtown traffic is a bad combo. i'm not sure the tech level ever gets there before many many kills. the next ten years with the transition from gas to electric and the auto pilot mode is gonna be tough on everyone. i can actually envision a market soon for a bracelet to be worn by bikers or pedestrians which signals the tesla's "hey i'm human"

We’re not building power plants at a rate to support a transition from gas to electric cars. Plus self-driving vehicles will likely be significantly more expensive than manually driven cars.

If by “tough on everyone”, you mean impossible to afford the transition and we’ll be a massively less mobile society as a result - I agree.

Having said that, I had a business school professor at UAlbany 20 years ago who predicted the US would collapse around 2033 (and would end up looking a lot like Yugoslavia around 1991 as a result); he was right on a bunch of other predictions and things are currently looking up for that one as well. If he proves to be right, then while the next ten years will be tough on everyone - what comes after will be an incomprehensible level of difficulty. Self-driving car safety won’t be a high level concern.

Thank you for the additional information.

I'm sure the plaintiffs could have obtained an investigation to say the exact opposite, but 11 miles over is much different than 20 on that stretch of highway.

We’re not building power plants at a rate to support a transition from gas to electric cars. Plus self-driving vehicles will likely be significantly more expensive than manually driven cars.
That’s not exactly accurate.

Every electric car needs to be charged - fact. There are limited spots to charge - fact.
People are often forgetful or clog up spots.
It takes anywhere from 15 minutes to hours to go from 10-80%.

And how about city dwellers? Poor people?
Are we just going to close every gas station?

Gas cars will be around for a long time.

"Amateurs talk about strategy, professionals talk about logistics." - Omar Bradley

What’s concerning is how “experts” focus on the strategic level. Maybe there’s a better plan and they are just terrible at communicating it, but this - like many engineering challenges - appears strategically feasible but logistically impossible (or close enough to “true” impossible to be effectively impossible currently).

Since it doesn’t dive into logistical issues, the article is able to be loaded with likely awful and unchallenged assumptions, which - if they are as bad as I think - is going to lead this to being an abject failure at many levels.

"Amateurs talk about strategy, professionals talk about logistics." - Omar Bradley

What’s concerning is how “experts” focus on the strategic level. Maybe there’s a better plan and they are just terrible at communicating it, but this - like many engineering challenges - appears strategically feasible but logistically impossible (or close enough to “true” impossible to be effectively impossible currently).

Since it doesn’t dive into logistical issues, the article is able to be loaded with likely awful and unchallenged assumptions, which - if they are as bad as I think - is going to lead this to being an abject failure at many levels.
The popularity of electric cars is heating up across the country, with EV manufacturers setting sales records in the first half of the year and some transit agencies taking steps to electrify their fleets.

That means more electricity demand for utilities, which are already planning for “grid-friendly load growth,” said Lindsay Buckley, spokesperson for the California Energy Commission.

You want another 10 articles that prove you’re wrong? I don’t want to make this political, but if you don’t believe the electricity industry isn’t planning for this, you’re not thinking logically.

insurance follows the car, not the driver. I dont know the situation exactly but if Syracuse owned the car, they maintained the insurance on it and their insurance paid it out.

if i borrow your car - your insurance would cover me.

Indeed. The vehicle's insurance policies (underlying and umbrella) are considered primary. Depending on the total exposure, policy limits, extent of the damages, etc. the actual tortfeasor's policy would then be secondary or excess type.

In my opinion, most folks are likely under-insured for their total potential exposure (liability) versus their coverage limits. I'd recommend most, especially once you've accumulated any amount of wealth, assets, etc. to have an umbrella policy.

Coverage and liability are separate matters. One's total exposure can potentially be far more than what the coverage limits are depending on the circumstances, etc. If the total damages exceeds all available policy limits, it doesn't preclude the plaintiff from going after one's (responsible party's) personal assets, etc.

Last edited:
He’d be wrong

Agree. IMO, there isn't a jury out there that would not find JB sharing comparative negligence here. 11 mph over the speed limit is negligent, especially under the conditions. Even under perfect driving conditions, that would still probably be the case.

With NY being a pure comparative negligence state, JB clearly had exposure, and the parties involved settled the case accordingly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom