The Jim Boeheim Show (1/10/19) | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show (1/10/19)

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

“Coach, you have three centers. Each of them have different qualities. What are the situations when we are likely to see Chukwu, Sidibe or Dolezaj out there?”

Second Hour:

“Coach, there is talk that the NCAA Tournament committee will consider that Frank Howard was injured to start the season and that Oregon had Bol Bol when we played them. Do we really have any idea what the committee will consider?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

(This is the first two hour show of the season.)

Matt Park: “Are you pleased with how the team is developing through this four game winning streak? “
(A coach…pleased?) JB: “The results have been good. I don’t know about anything else. We’re just not playing at the level we need to compete with the elite teams of the ACC. Shooting like that, (the Clemson game), would have lost us the Notre Dame game. Paschal has to give us solid minutes against the bigger teams. Clemson was small so Marek could play center. He makes their center come away from the basket. Frank is getting better. “

Marty in Ithaca said that we are shooting better and wondered what our chances were vs. Virginia Tech. JB said he was worrying about Georgia Tech first, since that’s who we play next. “Elijah has been good from the perimeter. He’s also rebounded and played very consistently.” Matt noted that Hughes had scored at least 14 points in all but two games. Marek’s passing and shooting helps with our spacing. Clemson is very good defensively and their big guy gets in the way of drives. Our driving and getting to the line was a big key, too.”

I called in my question, adding: “Is it based on strategy or on how the three players are playing?” JB: Both. Marek can get the center away from the basket avoids mismatches. Oshae had two lay-ups and a one and one. Tyus got to the basket. Marek his some threes. He’s a good passer and we get back door plays. He also covered on defense pretty well. Paschal’s defense is definitely not as good as it was last year. Bourama has been better in practice and in the Notre Dame game. Marek hasn’t taken a lot of threes but he’s shooting a good percentage.” Matt said it was 50%: 6 of 12. JB: “40% would be good. When he is at forward they will play him better than when he’s at center. Virginia won’t let him do that. Then there’s foul trouble. I haven’t given up on anybody yet.”

On the guards: “Jalen Carey can still help us. Frank missed time working out and practicing. He still lacks stamina. Towards the end of the game he wasn’t pushing the ball or getting back as well on defense. He needs more rest.”

Back to the centers: You have to look at the total positon. Against Notre Dame we had 2 points and 15 rebounds from the centers. The two points didn’t matter: we have guys who can score. We need them to rebound and defend. Against Clemson Marek and Bourama had 14 points, 8 rebounds and 5 blocks. Bourama had 4 points 4 rebounds and 3 blocks in 16 minutes. Multiply that by two.” Matt asked if he could play 32 minutes. “He can go more but not right away: he’s not used to it. We can build him into it. He has a quick more. He gets in trouble when he tries to go over somebody.”

They took inquiries from the restaurant. Kim wanted to know how we’re going to play against Zion Williamson. “We’ll try to force him outside. He can shoot it but he’s one of the better big guy athletes to come along in a long time. He’s a bigger Charles Barkley. Nobody’s stopped him yet.” Matt noted that Williamson had scored at least 13 points in every game.

Then Pat called in. he commented on the different line-ups JB had been using and complimented Marek for his great game. He said he was a big Oshae Brissett fan but that Oshae did not have a good game. “We went on a roll when he went out of the game.” He suggested that Coach should play Bourama and Marek at the same time. JB jumped on that. “That’s what I did when I took Oshae our early in the game. I’ll do it again. But Oshae is a very good rebounder and one our best defenders. Do you want him out of the game for 10 minutes?” Pat said “Yes!” and that’s the last thing he got to say in the call. JB: “That’s why you’re watching and I’m coaching. He had a big game against Notre dame. He will make mistakes but I’m not leaving him on the bench for very long. He’s our best rebounder, defender and inside scorer. He won’t be out for a long time. Tyus was 0 for 6, (from three). Should we take him out and play an untested player? A good player can struggle and then make 8 in a row. You go with your best players. They get a longer leash. They’re not going to be out long unless they rally struggle. Their bad is not as bad as it looks. If they have an extended bad streak of 3-4 games and somebody else is playing well over a period of time….when good players are comfortable they make good plays. Frank’s floor game has been pretty good and his defense is under-rated. He’s gotten us into pretty good sets and is a good shooter. We’ve got to get him to where he’s making 6-7 shots and 3-4 threes. That would make a huge difference. Jalen was the only guy on the team with a ‘minus’ on the +/- stat vs. Notre Dame. We don’t keep that stat. You could have Michael Jordan out there and you’d get a plus because you were playing with him. Bourama made a couple plays not on the stat sheet that probably won us that game, including taking a charge. “

Georgia Tech held Virginia Tech 30 point sunder their scoring average. “Georgia Tech had a wide open shot to win. Virginia Tech was 5 for 27 from three.”

They talked about how our recruits were doing. Joe Girard was named NYS Player of the year – in football. “He’s a great athlete, a good shooter and a tough competitor. He’s scored a lot because he’s in a weak league. He’s not Gerry McNamara but he’s that kind of player. Brycen Goodine is a point guard and really good player. John Bol Ajak is 6-9 and 230 pounds. He’s playing on a really good team. Quincy Guerrier is a bigger Elijah Hughes.”

Later Marcus asked for a more specific comparison between Girard and GMAC. “He’s a lot like Gerry, a special, one of a kind player, a tough competitor, a fighter, a battler. He won’t score 60 points a game for us although I wish he could. Gerry averaged about 30 but was in a stronger league. He could have averaged 50 in a weaker league. Very few freshmen can play well immediately. Joe needs ball screens. We’ll have four good young guards, two who can handle the ball, (Carey and Goodine) and two who can really shoot it, (Boeheim and Girard).” Marcus asked if Quincy was on campus and could play this year, (?!?). “He won’t be on campus until next fall unless something changes rapidly. We won’t use him this year. We need time to teach him everything, including the zone. I anticipate losing some people like we do every year.”

Jake said that Tyus “Was doing the Hokey Pokey from the three point line.” JB was amused by the description. “He’s not quite as comfortable form the three point line. He’s 60% on pull-up jumpers form 15-16 feet. He works every day on his shooting. He’s as hard working as any player we have had. He needs to get his three point percentage up. If he does he could be as good as any player in the league.”

Later Gomez asked about the Clemson game. JB: “Our defense was good. We got a little out of the press. We had 15 turnovers of our own – about 5 more than we should have. Marek expanded our defense but we’re not getting a lot inside. Clemson is a little like Virginia – we need to make shots against them.”

Gomez reported that Pat had bene tweeting that he was cut off. Jim said “We didn’t cut him off. He just didn’t like my answer. I don’t like some questions….I thought Paschal would play 25 minutes a game this year. It hasn’t worked out. That’s why you play the games. …Those 6 minutes are the longest Oshae has bene out of a game since he came here.”

I called in my second question about what the NCAA committee will consider. JB: “They’ll consider injuries. But the main things are: How did the team play on the road? …Even though the NCAAs are not true road games….Who did you play in the non-conference games? Georgetown could have been 13-2 right now. Not many people will have a better non-conference road win than Ohio State. Buffalo is not a bad loss. There will be a ton of teams with 9-10 losses in the tournament. We’ll play Duke twice, Clemson twice, Pitt, who had played well, twice4 and Boston College, who can be tough twice. With Duke, Virginia and Virginia Tech that’s four games against top ten teams. North Carolina could be top ten as well and NC State could be Top 15. I’m not going to worry about the tournament for another 12-14 games.”

Pat called back. Jim said “I hope you’re not mad”. He wasn’t and told an anecdote about a previous time he had called in and JB had said that he’d rather t6alk to Pat than Gomez, (who Jim is always kidding on the air). Jim laughed and said he realizes that Pat is “a big fan and knows about basketball.” Then he described himself. “I’ve bene a big SU football fan since 1956. But I never tell Coach Babers what to do. That’s why we’re good friends….I was upset with Oshae’s two bad turnovers. Fans say that if he missed a few shots he needs to drive. If he then has a couple of turnovers, they want him out of the game. You can’t listen to the fans. I’ve lived the game for 56 years. I will go with the best players. Somebody might have a good 4-5 minutes. We’re still going with the best players. Buddy can hit a couple of shots but I’m still going with Tyus Battle. I’m no different from any other coach.”

Stephan in Utica asked if Coach was already thinking about Duke or just taking ‘em one game at a time. Jim at first said he wasn’t then admitted that Duke was “in the back of my mind. But the players are focusing on Georgia Tech.” he added that the Duke game counts as one game, just like the Clemson game does.

thanks for the summary as always. radio reception wasn't good for me last night but i did catch a little bit of the coach talking about the game we played against Julius Erving (aka DR J.) . said he asked the opposing coach about him pregame and the coach shrugged and said "he's ok" (in my mind i hear a nasal whine) julius was a soph at Umass before frosh were allowed to play. boeheim then goes on to tell how he dunked over our nba bound center and collected some 36-37 rebounds. the memory still resonates.
" he just kept rising and rising and then dropped it in the basket "

(quotes are not verbatim but based on my makers mark memory)

Last edited:
thanks for the summary as always. radio reception wasn't good for me last night but i did catch a little bit of the coach talking about the game we played against Julius Erving (aka DR J.) . said he asked the opposing coach about him pregame and the coach shrugged and said "he's ok" (in my mind i hear a nasal whine) boeheim then goes on to tell how he dunked over our center and collected some 36-37 rebounds.
" he just kept rising and rising and then dropped in the basket "

(quotes are not verbatim but based on my makers mark memory)

I'll be posting part 2 a little later today.

So do i if we can get everyone healthy and going 100%.
I think the same thing but was starting to have real doubts as to whether Frank would ever be able get back to 100% this year...this quote means JB still thinks he can (at least that is my presumption)...

PART 2

JB joked with Gomez, a local radio host who does the second hour, saying that they have now done this show for 21 years. “I can’t believe they let you stay around that long”. He then joked that Pauley, the producer who has been with the show for most of that time “was still in his one year probationary period”. He was surprised that the restaurant wasn’t as full as usual. When the weather was suggested he said “people stay home and the roads are clear. They know how to drive in the winter. Down in Kentucky, if 100 people are driving, 94 will get in an accident and the other 6 are from New York State.”

Around the league: “Pitt got two late recruits and they scored 24 and 26 points for them in their last game.” (Actually 33 from Trey McGowans and 21 from Xavier Johnson in a 86-89 OT loss to Louisville). That’s college basketball. Carolina was too big for them, (a 60-85 loss). Virginia had no problem at Boston College, (winning 83-56). This is the best Virginia team we’ve seen. They can win the league easily. They are a Final four team.” (If they don’t play UMBC.)

Marcus Howard of Marquette had 53 points against Creighton to set a Big East record, (he’d earlier scored 45 against both Kansas State and Buffalo). Gomez was surprised that nobody in the big east had ever scored that much. “53 is a lot in college. He’s a phenomenal shooter. Creighton had along inbounds pass go out of bounds and then Howard, (actually Sam Hauser), hit a long shot to put the game in to overtime. He went crazy in overtime. Houston lost on a charging foul that negated the tying basket. “

How many games does JB watch? “I watch all the league games. Whoever is scouting see just about every game. I mostly look at their highlight tapes.”

Somebody asked which will happen first: a Virginia loss or the end of the government shutdown. Jim said he didn’t want to get into politics, (“I’ve got enough problems”), but it’s likely to be the government shut down. Despite not wanting to get into politics, he said “Too many politicians are trying to figure out how to win the next election. Nobody thinks a wall will work. It’s worse than watching 6-8 year olds playing in a sand pit and arguing about who gets the shovel. They can’t see the forest for the trees. We are all a part of it. It’s just sick.”

They had a trivia question- what player holds the record for the most rebounds in a game at the Dome? (I know but I’ll you guys figure that out.) That led to a discussion of the player who holds the all-time record for the most rebounds by a Syracuse opponent. It was Dr. J – Julius Erving. (The SU Media Guide has him as Julius Irving on page 100 but Julius Erving on page 108 – the latter is correct). Jim said that he was “nothing in high school” and that Jack Leaman, the UMASS coach, told Jim “Some days he plays, some days he doesn’t.” When Syracuse played them on 2/22/71, he played. “Our 6-11 center, Billy smith, jumped as high as he could and Dr. J dunked over him. I thought ‘This is going to be along night’” It was: Erving scored 36 points and pulled down 32 rebounds, quite a total for a 6-7 player. He had other nights he played that season, averaging 26.3ppg and 20.2rpg. Coach predicted that nobody will break Dr. J’s record for rebounding by a Syracuse opponent.

On the football national championship game: “What a shocker. And to think we had Clemson beat. If we’d held on we’d have been in first place and Clemson would not have gotten to the playoff.” (I wonder…) There is no way you can’t be shocked. Nick Saban’s teams don’t get beat that way. He’ll be cracking the whip. We’ll be Clemson’s toughest game next year, (in the regular season, I assume). We’ve got a good group coming back. That will be quite a night or day. We might get the first sell-out in a long time. There’s a chance ESPN Game Day could be here.” (I’ll bet they have Jim on making the picks.)

On the Cardinals hiring a coach who had just been fired at the college level, (Kliff Kingsbury): “They are looking for the next Sean McVey, someone with offensive skills. Just because you aren’t successful in one place it doesn’t mean you can’t be successful somewhere else. . Belichick had Saban on his staff in Cleveland and they weren’t successful. Mike McCarthy’s time had run out in Green Bay. The Broncos hired a 60 year old coach in Vic Fangio….Roy Williams was the low man on the totem pole at North Carolina when he got the Kansas job.” (He was?)

Should Kyler Murray play football or baseball? “He’s already got $4 million from baseball. In that sport he could play 15-16 years. In football it’s maybe 8-10. He’s a little guy. He should give baaeball a try first. He’s not going to lose his football skills.”

The Saints coach Sean Payton tried to motivate his players by having the Lombardi Trophy delivered to his team’s locker room with a stack of $225,000 dollars, surrounded by armed guards. “Three more games and that will be you yours”, he told them. JB: it won’t matter once the game starts. It’s not the most motivated team. It’s the best team that plays the best. The NFL is very smart, very balanced.”

the “That’s why you’re watching and I’m coaching." was a rather unusual snapback for the coach. he's usually pretty tolerant and gracious towards the callers. much more so than the local press. so anyone thinking of calling in don't be discouraged. hey he answers my questions ! it's typically light and fun and worth the dime.

the “That’s why you’re watching and I’m coaching." was a rather unusual snapback for the coach. he's usually pretty tolerant and gracious towards the callers. much more so than the local press. so anyone thinking of calling in don't be discouraged. hey he answers my questions ! it's typically light and fun and worth the dime.

When i first started calling in years ago i asked something similar to what pat was asking, (I don't remember what) and JB said "This guy probably works at a service station and pumps gas all day and thinks he's an expert on basketball. I corrected him, saying that I worked in an office cubicle, tossed waded up pieces of paper into a trash basket all day and thought that made me an expert on basketball. He laughed and we've gotten along fine since.

Two thoughts...

1) Reports of Chukwu's demise are greatly exaggerated

2) SWC75 is the only caller who should be giving accounts of his or her own calls to that show

One thought...

You're wrong.

i've been shot down a couple times too. then i floated a rumor i worked in the kitchen . been nice ever since.

You did the chicken marsala?

1547250148458.png

secret sauce.

(and in the biz secret is short for secretion) i keed i keed!

Roy Williams was the low man on the totem pole at North Carolina when he got the Kansas job.” (He was?)

Guthridge at least was ahead of him. Don't know who else was on Dean Smith's staff then.

Pat called back. Jim said “I hope you’re not mad”. He wasn’t and told an anecdote about a previous time he had called in and JB had said that he’d rather t6alk to Pat than Gomez, (who Jim is always kidding on the air). Jim laughed and said he realizes that Pat is “a big fan and knows about basketball.” Then he described himself. “I’ve bene a big SU football fan since 1956. But I never tell Coach Babers what to do. That’s why we’re good friends….I was upset with Oshae’s two bad turnovers

✌️☄️☄️☄️

When i first started calling in years ago i asked something similar to what pat was asking, (I don't remember what) and JB said "This guy probably works at a service station and pumps gas all day and thinks he's an expert on basketball. I corrected him, saying that I worked in an office cubicle, tossed waded up pieces of paper into a trash basket all day and thought that made me an expert on basketball. He laughed and we've gotten along fine since.
He should be ashamed of himself. You should remind him of that. I’d like to remind him of him being speechless after the St. John’s loss and I had questions he had no answers to. he was so mad he ended the show early

He should be ashamed of himself. You should remind him of that. I’d like to remind him of him being speechless after the St. John’s loss and I had questions he had no answers to. he was so mad he ended the show early

Did that really happen?

Did that really happen?

The Jim Boeheim Show- before Cornell

He wasn't exactly speechless and it wasn't clear why he left early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom