The Jim Boeheim Show (12/20/18) | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show (12/20/18)

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Syracuse University
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, we’ve seen some teams have great success against our defense by positioning a man at the high post who can shoot, drive or pass inside or back out from there. Marek Dolezaj seems to have the skills to do that for us. Could using him in that role help us when our offense bogs down? “

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

The two losses since the last show clearly weigh heavily on Jim Boeheim’s mind. “We’re back at practice. We have a lot to work on – more than we would have thought. We’re still doing things we should have been over with in the first few weeks. We have new movement. We make horrible turnovers. We gave up 15 points to turnovers in both games. It was tie game with four minutes to go. Just the turnovers themselves cost us the game. It’s inexplicable. We have good passers and ball handlers. We have two games and bunch of practices before the ACC games start. We have to get a lot better….The 4-5 days after the 3rd will help. I know our offense can get better. I just don’t know how much.” (We have a game against the Bonnies on 12/29 and Notre Dame on 1/5 so I don’t know what he meant by “4-5 days after the third”.

Liam in Pompey called in at this point: The team is playing bad…it’s only December 20th. Keep the faith… They’re playing well …Battle is good. Everybody else has to step up…” matt: “Thanks, Liam” Jim: “Thanks Liam”.

JB continued: “Coaches, fans, everyone is and should be upset. We play in spurts and then something bad happens. There’s no shooting or movement. We are playing well defensively. I think we’re 34th in the country, which is not bad. We give up points due to the offense being so bad. You put yourself in a hole…”

Pat called in. there was some sort of feedback that made it hard to make out what he was saying, (it sounded like his voice coming over a PA system but out of synch with his voice on the broadcast). He said something about Buffalo getting points off turnovers. He wants us to get more rebounds off the zone. We are out of balance without Marek in the line-up. Our best players are Tyus and Elijah. I think he was suggesting that they be our starting backcourt with Marek and Oshae at forward.

JB: “Elijah had 6 turnovers in this last game. He’s best at forward… Last year we were not good until the end of the year and even then we were scoring less than 60 points per game. We are scoring more now. We would have lost each game we lost this year with last year’s scoring. Our offense is horrible. The defense is better than it looks because we give up 15 points a game to turnovers, we miss free throws and we have to foul at the end. Our centers are not the influence on the game they were last year and Frank is not himself. Our shooting percentage is down. Buffalo is very good. Our turnovers put us in trouble. We have two veteran guards and Hughes and Brissett are good ball handlers. We are about 300th in the country in three point shooting and we are only shooting 41% on two point shots, which is about 200th in the country. We have offensive issues I didn’t think would happen. Frank’s injury, the center play, shooting and Marek not playing well off the bench are the problems. We will play 8-9 guys, as much as any team in the country. We just have to play better.” he added this personal note: “The Buffalo coach didn’t have to say that they were the better team. You don’t have to say that when you won.”

I called in. Matt noted that I hadn’t bene heard from on the last show. I apologized and explained that I’d had an attack of “retired guy’s syndrome: I thought Thursday was Wednesday. I told the coach that this is what awaits if he ever retires. I also said that, as a disclaimer that it must be realized that anything I say is coming from a guy who doesn’t even know what day of the week it is. Both Matt and coach got a big laugh out of that. Jim said “And you still know more than most.” I then asked my question with the added comment that Marek’s problem might be that he hasn’t bene able to find his role in this line-up and putting him at the high post might be the answer to that. I also mentioned that it’s hard to judge our scheme because we are playing it so poorly that we don’t what it it’s supposed to look like. Coach said “That’s not far wrong.”

JB: “Marek is pretty good in the high post. The problem is we can do that against zones, (which we are seeing more of), but not against man for man defenses. Marek beat Ohio State in the first half with his three pointers, so he must have bene aware of his role in that game. He played very well. We got good movement in that game, made shots and spread them out more on offense. This year we have a different attack and it shows. It’s as if we’ve been playing it for a week. We had a good second half against Georgetown, not that good a team. Ohio State doesn’t shot it very well. Those have been our best games. We’ve have bad shooting and movement. It’s my job to fix it and the results have been very disappointing. Our players have not been as physical as they need to be. Old Dominion and Buffalo are more physical than most of the teams we’ll play.”

A called from Charlotte said that he had a question about the offense. JB: “So do I.” The caller wondered why we can’t play the transition game like the old days. “We used to spread the wings with two guys.” JB: We’re trying to run but we can’t get the rebounds or the turnovers in the half-court game. We’re not equipped to run. We don’t have as much speed as those days and frank doesn’t push the ball like Sherman Douglas. You’re not going to be able to run against the really good half court teams. I haven’t changed my philosophy. I always like to run. Buffalo has great team speed. They get back well. We usually have a big advantage in turnovers and that makes up for a gap in rebounding. We’re actually ahead in rebounds for the year.” (411-407. In turnovers it’s 129-170 so between the two we are +45 between the two stats. But that includes games against Eastern Washington and Morehead State, etc.)

Tom called in to ask about the old old days- when we played in Manley with the dirt floor. “Players used to dive into the dirt to get the ball. You need to lay into the boys and wake them up.” JB: “We’ve been out-toughed but if we’d played a little better we would have won both games. You can win a game against physical team if you play well. Michigan State was much more physical but we played better than they did….In practice you can make it happen. You can tell players to cut here instead of there. But you can’t in a game. So you have to develop your skills in practice. We weren’t able to get it done early.”

Matt noted that the fact that we play zone all the time slows the game’s tempo down because other teams have to take time to get off a good shot against it.

Duke was playing Texas Tech on TV. “Duke will have the top two picks in the draft. They’ve also got a couple of veteran big guys. People know Duke is good. But they will only get better. Last year they were talented but not really a team. They had two centers and no point guard.” Tech fell behind 00-8, called a time out and went on a 16-4 run. “They are a good team. They have a good coach and are playing at a high level.” The ACC got a couple of good non-conference wins when Virginia beat South Carolina and North Carolina State beat Auburn. “NC State is very good. Their coach is doing a good job. Virginia is probably the team to beat in the conference with their veteran guards.”

Quade Green has transferred from Kentucky to Washington. “It’s a good place for him. He knows everyone up here. they will lose their point guard.”

Rick Pitino going to Europe to coach “is a great move. He will do very well there. He’s an offensive coach. There aren’t too many Hall of Fame coaches in Europe.” Will he wind up back in the NBA? “Things didn’t end well in Boston. He did a better job there than people thought. But he’s almost 70 years old and they have to consider that.”

Regarding Arkansas State, (there had been no mention of our next opponent until near the end of the show), “Their coach worked for Rick Pitino so they like to change things up from a 2-3 to man-to man. They do a lot of things. They have good guard play.”

Matt brought up the anniversary of Pam Am Flight 103 crashing in Lockerbie, Scotland. What does Coach remember about that night? “We knew something had happened but they didn’t tell us what until after the game. We didn’t know the details. There’s no way to get a grip on something like that. We are fortunate they don’t happen more with all the crazy elements out there. If communications were quicker we probably would have postponed or canceled the game.” One wonders if that would have happened today.

Finally, Matt asked coach for his views on next week’s bowl game. “I’m so happy…they had a great year. They were picked to win maybe 5 games and they won 9, maybe 10. Dino should have coach of the year for the whole country. He’s got a great recruiting class coming in. I go to every game. They are an exciting team. Some state schools get people going just because they are the state school. Penn State and Michigan are not fun to watch. We’re going to have a great year next year. I love Eric Dungey. He’s unbelievable. I hope he has a shot at the next level. I like the other quarterback but it was Eric Dungey who won the games we had to win.”

Program note: There will be no show next week as Matt will be in Florida for the Bowl game. It won’t matter whether it’s Wednesday or Thursday.

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Syracuse University

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, we’ve seen some teams have great success against our defense by positioning a man at the high post who can shoot, drive or pass inside or back out from there. Marek Dolezaj seems to have the skills to do that for us. Could using him in that role help us when our offense bogs down? “

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

The two losses since the last show clearly weigh heavily on Jim Boeheim’s mind. “We’re back at practice. We have a lot to work on – more than we would have thought. We’re still doing things we should have been over with in the first few weeks. We have new movement. We make horrible turnovers. We gave up 15 points to turnovers in both games. It was tie game with four minutes to go. Just the turnovers themselves cost us the game. It’s inexplicable. We have good passers and ball handlers. We have two games and bunch of practices before the ACC games start. We have to get a lot better….The 4-5 days after the 3rd will help. I know our offense can get better. I just don’t know how much.” (We have a game against the Bonnies on 12/29 and Notre Dame on 1/5 so I don’t know what he meant by “4-5 days after the third”.

Liam in Pompey called in at this point: The team is playing bad…it’s only December 20th. Keep the faith… They’re playing well …Battle is good. Everybody else has to step up…” matt: “Thanks, Liam” Jim: “Thanks Liam”.

JB continued: “Coaches, fans, everyone is and should be upset. We play in spurts and then something bad happens. There’s no shooting or movement. We are playing well defensively. I think we’re 34th in the country, which is not bad. We give up points due to the offense being so bad. You put yourself in a hole…”

Pat called in. there was some sort of feedback that made it hard to make out what he was saying, (it sounded like his voice coming over a PA system but out of synch with his voice on the broadcast). He said something about Buffalo getting points off turnovers. He wants us to get more rebounds off the zone. We are out of balance without Marek in the line-up. Our best players are Tyus and Elijah. I think he was suggesting that they be our starting backcourt with Marek and Oshae at forward.

JB: “Elijah had 6 turnovers in this last game. He’s best at forward… Last year we were not good until the end of the year and even then we were scoring less than 60 points per game. We are scoring more now. We would have lost each game we lost this year with last year’s scoring. Our offense is horrible. The defense is better than it looks because we give up 15 points a game to turnovers, we miss free throws and we have to foul at the end. Our centers are not the influence on the game they were last year and Frank is not himself. Our shooting percentage is down. Buffalo is very good. Our turnovers put us in trouble. We have two veteran guards and Hughes and Brissett are good ball handlers. We are about 300th in the country in three point shooting and we are only shooting 41% on two point shots, which is about 200th in the country. We have offensive issues I didn’t think would happen. Frank’s injury, the center play, shooting and Marek not playing well off the bench are the problems. We will play 8-9 guys, as much as any team in the country. We just have to play better.” he added this personal note: “The Buffalo coach didn’t have to say that they were the better team. You don’t have to say that when you won.”

I called in. Matt noted that I hadn’t bene heard from on the last show. I apologized and explained that I’d had an attack of “retired guy’s syndrome: I thought Thursday was Wednesday. I told the coach that this is what awaits if he ever retires. I also said that, as a disclaimer that it must be realized that anything I say is coming from a guy who doesn’t even know what day of the week it is. Both Matt and coach got a big laugh out of that. Jim said “And you still know more than most.” I then asked my question with the added comment that Marek’s problem might be that he hasn’t bene able to find his role in this line-up and putting him at the high post might be the answer to that. I also mentioned that it’s hard to judge our scheme because we are playing it so poorly that we don’t what it it’s supposed to look like. Coach said “That’s not far wrong.”

JB: “Marek is pretty good in the high post. The problem is we can do that against zones, (which we are seeing more of), but not against man for man defenses. Marek beat Ohio State in the first half with his three pointers, so he must have bene aware of his role in that game. He played very well. We got good movement in that game, made shots and spread them out more on offense. This year we have a different attack and it shows. It’s as if we’ve been playing it for a week. We had a good second half against Georgetown, not that good a team. Ohio State doesn’t shot it very well. Those have been our best games. We’ve have bad shooting and movement. It’s my job to fix it and the results have been very disappointing. Our players have not been as physical as they need to be. Old Dominion and Buffalo are more physical than most of the teams we’ll play.”

A called from Charlotte said that he had a question about the offense. JB: “So do I.” The caller wondered why we can’t play the transition game like the old days. “We used to spread the wings with two guys.” JB: We’re trying to run but we can’t get the rebounds or the turnovers in the half-court game. We’re not equipped to run. We don’t have as much speed as those days and frank doesn’t push the ball like Sherman Douglas. You’re not going to be able to run against the really good half court teams. I haven’t changed my philosophy. I always like to run. Buffalo has great team speed. They get back well. We usually have a big advantage in turnovers and that makes up for a gap in rebounding. We’re actually ahead in rebounds for the year.” (411-407. In turnovers it’s 129-170 so between the two we are +45 between the two stats. But that includes games against Eastern Washington and Morehead State, etc.)

Tom called in to ask about the old old days- when we played in Manley with the dirt floor. “Players used to dive into the dirt to get the ball. You need to lay into the boys and wake them up.” JB: “We’ve been out-toughed but if we’d played a little better we would have won both games. You can win a game against physical team if you play well. Michigan State was much more physical but we played better than they did….In practice you can make it happen. You can tell players to cut here instead of there. But you can’t in a game. So you have to develop your skills in practice. We weren’t able to get it done early.”

Matt noted that the fact that we play zone all the time slows the game’s tempo down because other teams have to take time to get off a good shot against it.

Duke was playing Texas Tech on TV. “Duke will have the top two picks in the draft. They’ve also got a couple of veteran big guys. People know Duke is good. But they will only get better. Last year they were talented but not really a team. They had two centers and no point guard.” Tech fell behind 00-8, called a time out and went on a 16-4 run. “They are a good team. They have a good coach and are playing at a high level.” The ACC got a couple of good non-conference wins when Virginia beat South Carolina and North Carolina State beat Auburn. “NC State is very good. Their coach is doing a good job. Virginia is probably the team to beat in the conference with their veteran guards.”

Quade Green has transferred from Kentucky to Washington. “It’s a good place for him. He knows everyone up here. they will lose their point guard.”

Rick Pitino going to Europe to coach “is a great move. He will do very well there. He’s an offensive coach. There aren’t too many Hall of Fame coaches in Europe.” Will he wind up back in the NBA? “Things didn’t end well in Boston. He did a better job there than people thought. But he’s almost 70 years old and they have to consider that.”

Regarding Arkansas State, (there had been no mention of our next opponent until near the end of the show), “Their coach worked for Rick Pitino so they like to change things up from a 2-3 to man-to man. They do a lot of things. They have good guard play.”

Matt brought up the anniversary of Pam Am Flight 103 crashing in Lockerbie, Scotland. What does Coach remember about that night? “We knew something had happened but they didn’t tell us what until after the game. We didn’t know the details. There’s no way to get a grip on something like that. We are fortunate they don’t happen more with all the crazy elements out there. If communications were quicker we probably would have postponed or canceled the game.” One wonders if that would have happened today.

Finally, Matt asked coach for his views on next week’s bowl game. “I’m so happy…they had a great year. They were picked to win maybe 5 games and they won 9, maybe 10. Dino should have coach of the year for the whole country. He’s got a great recruiting class coming in. I go to every game. They are an exciting team. Some state schools get people going just because they are the state school. Penn State and Michigan are not fun to watch. We’re going to have a great year next year. I love Eric Dungey. He’s unbelievable. I hope he has a shot at the next level. I like the other quarterback but it was Eric Dungey who won the games we had to win.”

Program note: There will be no show next week as Matt will be in Florida for the Bowl game. It won’t matter whether it’s Wednesday or Thursday.
Thanks!

These idiots don’t know how to set up a monitor speaker far enough away from the microphone at the restaurant

They got it fixed after that.

I think he meant there are a few days between Bonnies (second game, Ark St. is first)) and the start of ACC play (ND is the third game).

Last edited:
It appears the most significant thing Boeheim said is basically that the team won't be running much with Frank Howard at the point.
Understandable but unfortunate.

It appears the most significant thing Boeheim said is basically that the team won't be running much with Frank Howard at the point.

There’s running and then there’s RUNNING (all the time). What he said was that Frank is not Sherman Douglas. He’s not. Very very few are.

I dunno, I kinda thought that the most significant thing was him basically saying that the team is significantly worse than everyone was expecting (including him and the coaches) and he's not sure why...

I dunno, I kinda thought that the most significant thing was him basically saying that the team is significantly worse than everyone was expecting (including him and the coaches) and he's not sure why...

Frightening thought.

Syracuse University

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

COACH BOEHEIM

“Georgetown is not that good a team” LOLOLOL

Suck it Georgetown

Steve, your intro comments to Boeheim were funny! And he respects your viewpoints. Maybe you should have your own radio show!

I, too, was struck by his saying that the bad offense was on him and that the results of his trying to fix it were disappointing. I wonder if he has self doubt? Did he sound down throughout the show? I know he always has an understated manner, but it seems he is admitting that this team has him flummoxed. Which then adds fuel to the fire that the game has passed him by. :(

I so much want him to go out on a high note, as I’m sure we all do! We thought this team was going to be it. With Chuckwu, Sidibe, and Frank struggling with sore body parts, they are acting tentative, and Oshae is VERY tentative inside. It’s hard to play with swagger when you are in pain. Who can step up on this team and light the fire? Boeheim needs to assure them with confidence that they can play better ball, and someone from the team needs to be the leader and the goader.

Great write up as always!

JB always leaps to the defense of his zone D only . it's never the problem. and he won't change.

Umm, continually putting the worst offensive player on the court in the high pick and role might have something to do with it. Just a thought.

JB always leaps to the defense of his zone D only . it's never the problem. and he won't change.
I agree. I was really taken back by this obvious focus during the show the other night it’s sick

We've scored less than 30 points in the 2nd half of the last 2 games.

Glad you guys all think the offense isn't the problem then.
didn't hold the opponents to under 30 either.

I love how it takes dire straits to change things up like adding more movement. Why weren’t they moving earlier?

just make Fts and we have much less angst right now.

UB is a solid team, but really we lost it much more than they beat us. So far though thats the story of our team. waste good solid D with terrible shooting never get leads we can hold and play sloppy enough to let teams hang in.

if you mean we were out hustled and they wanted it more then yes "we lost it ".

Steve, your intro comments to Boeheim were funny! And he respects your viewpoints. Maybe you should have your own radio show!

I, too, was struck by his saying that the bad offense was on him and that the results of his trying to fix it were disappointing. I wonder if he has self doubt? Did he sound down throughout the show? I know he always has an understated manner, but it seems he is admitting that this team has him flummoxed. Which then adds fuel to the fire that the game has passed him by. :(

I so much want him to go out on a high note, as I’m sure we all do! We thought this team was going to be it. With Chuckwu, Sidibe, and Frank struggling with sore body parts, they are acting tentative, and Oshae is VERY tentative inside. It’s hard to play with swagger when you are in pain. Who can step up on this team and light the fire? Boeheim needs to assure them with confidence that they can play better ball, and someone from the team needs to be the leader and the goader.

Great write up as always!

I would describe him as puzzled and frustrated more than depressed and hopeless.

If your defense is top 50, why should you worry about that more or as much as the offense?

Fans like you blame the D year after year - even when we’re playing well - and you won’t change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom