The Jim Boeheim Show- after Michigan | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show- after Michigan

If he were under the limit he could apply for a medical redshirt and have three season of eligiblity left. But he isn't so he can't.

I think I understand. If he hadn't been squeezed into that Virgina Tech game last year, he'd be under the limit for percentage of 2014 games played, so he could potentially have redshirted last season. But he didn't, so he does indeed have two years left after this potential 2015 redshirt?

If the NCAA ever went to a 24 second clock they would likely outlaw zone defenses so be careful what you wish for. IMO we would be nothing special as a m-2-m team. Playing good m-2-m is very complicated, it's not school yard m2m (which is more what we play when we go man on rare occasion), and would require a change in recruiting and possibly coaching staff.

If he were under the limit he could apply for a medical redshirt and have three season of eligiblity left. But he isn't so he can't.
:confused::confused:

As much as folks in leadership positions try to remain positive and level headed I do believe that JB is openly disgruntled about Ennis and Grant leaving. He has recruited exceptionally well over the past decade and has lost folks early to the NBA as a result. I do not think even he though thought a slightly framed freshman point guard who averaged 11 points and 5 assists a game was a one and done player. Grant was also still tremendously raw. Hard to build a consistent winner with the revolving carousel they have been the last few years. With Grant and Ennis this is a top 10 team, imagine McCollough, Grant and X-mas as the front line with Roberson and potentially Coleman coming off the bench. How about Ennis and Cooney in the backcourt with Joesph coming off the bench. Gbinijie could swing between the 2 and 3 spot. This team would be very good instead of what we have now which is a work in progress - and McCollough will be gone next year. Perpetually young, talented and raw.

When I read between the lines with his his comments I see this disclaimer: "how can you expect us to be good when guys keep leaving early?"

Neither was supposed to leave. The plan was to have Ennis for two seasons, Jerami for three. Ennis leaving was the equivalent of being left at the altar. JB was not happy. Blame Tyler's dad for that one. Not sure what prompted Jerami's seriousness about the NBA. I heard it was his father pushing him mad that he really didn't want to go. But, the fact he was banged up a lot last season may not have helped the cause. Kids can get worried about injuries as far as playing careers are concerned. Bottom line, I'm sure JB felt when he recruited Ennis that it would be for two seasons, minimum. Kenny Anderson once put JB behind the 8-ball by not coming here (leaving us with no proven PG). Ennis put him in the same boat by leaving early. KJ is following the same rushed learning curve that Jason Hart had to follow in 96-97. Hart at least had Hill and Cipolla and Burgan. KJ has far less experience. That 96-97 team was just butt awful. No chemistry, was slow, low BBall IQ, and not a great scoring team. Hill wasn't the same without JDub drawing double teams. Still, Hill is one of my all time favs at SU.

I think I understand. If he hadn't been squeezed into that Virgina Tech game last year, he'd be under the limit for percentage of 2014 games played, so he could potentially have redshirted last season. But he didn't, so he does indeed have two years left after this potential 2015 redshirt?

Thus the decision to be made in the next 2-3 weeks is: do they want to use one of those two years on half a season this year or use this as his normal redshirt year and give him two full years after this, (which, if he isn't 100% might be a very good idea).

If the NCAA ever went to a 24 second clock they would likely outlaw zone defenses so be careful what you wish for. IMO we would be nothing special as a m-2-m team. Playing good m-2-m is very complicated, it's not school yard m2m (which is more what we play when we go man on rare occasion), and would require a change in recruiting and possibly coaching staff.

That might prompt JB's retirement.

firstly, i was at the wayman tisdale dome game. dude was an absolute wrecking ball in the middle. unstoppable. nice honor for jb.
secondly, will i be able to but JB'S book half price at manny's this easter if we miss the tourney?

Last edited:
I also question this notion that he was surprised that Ennis and Grant left. If so, maybe JB and the staff should pay more attention to Chad Ford's Big Board. Of course, Grant wasn't "ready" but I knew before last season that odds were he'd be gone, and with the way Ennis played right away, it was clear he was better than anticipated.

I don't expect, or want, him to say it to the media, but I assume the staff felt that BJ/Patterson would have developed enough to give the roster more outside options. Unlike football, we aren't talking about 2 star recruits here, so I would imagine some frustration there.
Since when does JB (or any other major coach) pay attention to pre-draft boards especially ones a year ahead.? And even if he thought Ennis was going after a few games, how would that have made a difference. And it was not just the fact they were drafted but they thought they were going higher than they thought.

Neither was supposed to leave. The plan was to have Ennis for two seasons, Jerami for three. Ennis leaving was the equivalent of being left at the altar. JB was not happy. Blame Tyler's dad for that one. Not sure what prompted Jerami's seriousness about the NBA. I heard it was his father pushing him mad that he really didn't want to go. But, the fact he was banged up a lot last season may not have helped the cause. Kids can get worried about injuries as far as playing careers are concerned. Bottom line, I'm sure JB felt when he recruited Ennis that it would be for two seasons, minimum. Kenny Anderson once put JB behind the 8-ball by not coming here (leaving us with no proven PG). Ennis put him in the same boat by leaving early. KJ is following the same rushed learning curve that Jason Hart had to follow in 96-97. Hart at least had Hill and Cipolla and Burgan. KJ has far less experience. That 96-97 team was just butt awful. No chemistry, was slow, low BBall IQ, and not a great scoring team. Hill wasn't the same without JDub drawing double teams. Still, Hill is one of my all time favs at SU.

Hill was in my view the best post up player I've seen at SU. Without a double team he was unstoppable on the block. I remember his senior year he single handedly won a game on the road against a good Alabama team. He along with J-Dubs and Burgan that was a tough front line to defend in the half-court.

Last edited:
Ennis was the best true PG in the country last year. After Maui, he was getting accolades from every basketball media member, so saying he wasn't ready or developed has nothing to do with his draft status. We can all agree that the NBA drafts on potential. Right or wrong, it's been that way the last few years, so it shouldn't really surprise anyone when guys leave.

The NBA is a business so of course they are going to do things for their benefit without regard for the college game. How is that different from MLB and NHL letting HS kids turn pro? Does that not hurt the college game? I think Boeheim is right that the deadline should be pushed back, but

I am admittedly not as smart as many on this board but I gotta say that if a light framed freshman averaging 11 and 5 is the best true PG in the college game then that truly tells the story about how bad college basketball has become. And I agree that the NBA is a business which is exactly why I cannot understand why a kid who needs a few years to mature physically and refine his game is a first round draft pick. One and done players drafted in the first round should be elite players on the college level and guys who are ready to be in the rotation on an NBA roster. I see no sense in taking a kid like Ennis so early. Do I blame the kid for going, absolutely not. Do I blame the system that has resulted in this nonsense, absolutely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom